What's outside

That one looks familiar. @ramblingjohn do we have it too? I am totally ignorant on fungi despite having had dry rot in my maisonette!

Mwswgl (moss)

3 Likes

Planhigyn cigysol
(Carnivorous plant)

3 Likes

It looks similar to Madarch mewndro - Brown roll-rim.

The first image is a ffwng cwrel - coral fungus (there are several species).

diddoral iawn Leighton.

Cheers J.P.

we have sundew, bladderwort, and butterwort. I am not sure if they can all survive here in Scotland. I’ve only seen sundews.

3 Likes

You can get organic slug pellets, which according to the packet, don’t harm wildlife. In my experience, they work well. The catch is that the birds love to eat them! The manufacturer claims they don’t harm birds but it’s probably better to keep them off if you can, or maybe your local birds will be getting enough to eat elsewhere and will leave them alone.

And if it’s any consolation, we’ve had a mild winter so particularly bad for slugs this year. If the next one is colder, you might be fine with your eggshells next year!

1 Like

The flowers are great in salads but even better in gin! If you want to be posh, you can even freeze them into ice cubes.

1 Like

I think the gin suggestion is worthy of further research. Iechyd da!

2 Likes

Emu eto
Another group of emus came over to see what I was up to today.

7 Likes

Hen melin wynt (Old windmill)

4 Likes

Nyth morgrugyn (ant nest)

3 Likes

I haven’t thought to ask before - are emus ever feisty? I guess one could deliver a nasty kick if it was so inclined and so-called domesticated livestock can be pretty feisty! Bullocks, I had to beware of with my little dogs, and even an ordinary cow with a calf could be pretty protective. I’ll never forget the ewe who got into my Auntie’s garden with her lamb and was confronted with two cats and a labrador. The cats wondered away, but the dog advanced to defend her territory, barking fiercely. The ewe stamped her two front feet and lowered her head in a butting gesture. Dog retreated, still barking fiercely!! I was laughing helplessly as I passed her to go to the gate to let the sheep out. There was no doubt that the ewe won the encounter! So how are emus?

2 Likes

The emus are pretty flighty. I treat them with a healthy respect. When they come as close to me as they did today I find it a bit unnerving. They are interesting in that the dad brings up the young. The mother lays the eggs an then leaves. Dad hatches them and does the rest. I think they can be nasty but I don’t know of anyone who has had a problem.

3 Likes

A fungus

Raymond

5 Likes

Barchud (A red kite)

It seems to have lost some of the picture quality in the conversion from a bitmap! But you can still see the shape and the trailing legs.

Raymond

9 Likes

Is that kite in Yorkshire or are you visiting Wales?

3 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Gem fforch arian - Silver Y (gwyfynod - moth).

Llyffant dafadennog ifanc (bach iawn) - young common toad (very small).

Neidr ddefaid - slow worm . (grouped together next to ant eggs).

diferion dŵr ar ddeilen glaswellt - water droplets on grass leaf.

Plu o’r sgrech y coed - feather of a Jay.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

No, some Spanish red kites were released at Hardwood House in1999 but I have never seen one

I was in Shropshire but the bird was probably in Wales!

Raymond

2 Likes

Sorry, the spellchecker changed Harewood to Hardwood. Harewood House is on the edge of Leeds.

3 Likes

I know, I’ve visited Harewood House and I did a double take!! I lived in York from '52-'56 and Harrogate from '69-'72! And you can edit your posts if the dreaded spellchecker does that! At the end of the post, you’ll see, as well as ‘likes’ and a ‘link’ a picture a bit like a pencil. Click on that and the post opens again in an ‘edit window’. Change what needs changing and click on ‘save edit’!