What's outside

I love fried green tomatoes! Delicious treat, but they should come with a health warning!

2 Likes

Janet, who walks my Toffi (toy poodle) with her Hamish (Jack Russel) and Sasha (lurcher) has just told me that, as they walked along the canal this afternoon, a large otter suddenly came up on the bank in front of Toffi. They stared at each other. The otter was larger than Toffi, but departed back to the water before Toffi decided what.to do! Sorry. no photo - no time! I’d love to have had proof of the encounter! Like that between Katy (very small Cavalier) and red deer stag some years back, also undocumented!
Knowing Toffi, she would have yapped if she’d had quicker reactions!

4 Likes

Bras Melyn - Yellowhammer singing from the top branches of a tree by the river yesterday afternoon.

6 Likes

Lovely birds. Haven’t seen one since I moved here!

1 Like

Heddiw oedd braidd yn wlyb - Today was rather wet.
on i’n ffodus i weld ychydig o bryfed eistedd yn llonydd - i was lucky to see a few insects sitting still.

Bwrned chwe smotyn ar marchysgallen - six spot burnet on spear thistle.

Gwyfyn bach ar llysiau’r gingroen - small moth on common ragwort (i’m awaiting advice on species).

Copor bach (gloyn byw) - small copper (butterfly).

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

i saw a bee yesterday. That it was noteworthy gives you an idea of the lack we seem to be experiencing! No pili pala on our buddleia!
Edit: Today, Janet saw another otter on/in/near the canal. That’s brought it to two, the same number as that of bees in our garden! Today’s bee was a bumble with white or pale fawn bottom. Janet is sure otter numero 2 was not the same as the first. We never thought we’d have equal sightings of those species! All we need now is for one of the beavers to move into the canal!!

1 Like

heddiw, roedd y tywydd yn well - Today, the weather was better.

Mwyar duon - black berries.

Mae’n edrych fel ruin wedi dechrau bwyta’r mafon - it looks like someone has started eating the raspberries!

Gellyg - pear.

Mantell goch ar byddon chwerw - Red admiral on hemp agrimony.

Llysiau’r milwr coch - Purple loosestrife.

Glas y dorlan yn yr pellter - King fisher in the distance.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Lwcus iawn @ramblingjohn

Mae gwenoliaid du wedi bod yn nythu o dan ein to ni. Swifts have been nesting under our roof. Not the easiest to get a snap of!

Lindysyn lliwgar - colourful, but unidentifiable by me, caterpillar

Ysgellog - chicory

Mae wedi bod yn bwrw hen wragedd a ffyn - it’s been raining a lot! Cmon ffyngau!!

5 Likes

Siobyn - the vapourer.

To add to your swifts, i photographed a gwennol y bodo - house martin leaving its nest today (another disappointing photo).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Diolch @ramblingjohn have just Googled it. Aren’t moths amazing. It says that this female is flightless. I never knew that flightless moths existed!
Everyday is a school day.

2 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Glalls ar dail derwen - Galls on oak leaf.

Britheg werdd - Dark green fritillary.

Pincas Robin - Robins pin cushion.

Gwas neidr Llachar (gwrywaidd) - Southern hawker (male).

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Gwennol y bondo ifanc sy’n edrych allan o’i nyth - young house martin which is looking out of it’s nest.

dw i eisau bwyd hefyd - i want food as well.

Diolch - thanks

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Y bore 'ma - This morning.

Some kind of Ladybird (Buwch fach gota???) a large fungus.

3 Likes

This is quite sad. I’ve been moving a big pile of garden waste by wheelbarrow and discovered this morning this delightful small mammal which I must have de-housed. :worried: On closer inspection, I found it had a broken rear leg. When I tried to pick it up, however, I found that it could still move very quickly into hiding. I decided, therefore, not to put it out of its misery but to leave it to try its luck in finding a new refuge. Its length (excluding tail is 1 inch / 2.5 cm. Can anyone advise what species it is?

3 Likes

no expert but llygoden baban? (baby mouse?)

2 Likes

From the photograph i’m tempted to think Llygoden bengron goch - Bank vole.
Just a best gess.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Oh John, now you’ve said that, it could well be a baby one of our little friend!

1 Like

If you are feeling nostalgic, I heard the yellowhammer on 'Tweet of the day" at 05.55 on Radio 4 this morning. It will be available on iPlayer. Mwynhewch!

1 Like

diolch yn fawr iawn ond I can’t find radio4 on iplayer!

2 Likes

You will find it on the BBC Radio 4 website under 'Podcasts". You can also dowmload the iPlayer Radio ap to your phone or Tablet.

1 Like