What's outside

All solanaceae. Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum), potatoes (solanum tublerosum), eggplant (solanum meglesii) kangeroo apple (Solanum avicular) night shades etc.

1 Like

Madfall, ddraig barf ( Lizard, Bearded Dragon).

6 Likes

Madfall arall

9 Likes

Graean cafn (Shingle back) or stumpy tail

7 Likes

It has been a poor season for butterflies here too, but I saw this Peacock when out with the dog this morning.

This picture is rather like my spoken Welsh - very hazy, but I think (hope) you can understand it.

7 Likes

Da iawn. Like this a lot. The picture & the sentiment.

We have 2 giant puffballs in the garden. I’m delighted, so are the slugs.

We also have this. Can you help @ramblingjohn. Although it looks like it is growing on the ground I think it may be coming from buried wood or roots. It’s most striking feature is that it is very very tough. Struggled to tear a bit off. Diolch i ti.

6 Likes

The under surface image really helps as it shows a maze gill structure rather than pores,
this would lead me to suggest Lenzites betulinus,
drew gen i, dim enw cymraeg ar hyn o bryd - sorry, no welsh name at the moment.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Diolch o galon @ramblingjohn

1 Like

@johnwilliams_6 was kind enough to point me in the direction of a ‘Ffyngau’ book at the Eisteddfod on the Cymdeithas Edward LLwyd stand by Duncan Brown, Twm Elias, Bruce Griffiths & Selwyn Williams.
Only a few black & white pictures but a long list of fungi & their Welsh names.
It lists Birch Mazegill.
Tegyll Rhwyllog y Bedw - (Birch Lattice Gill)

4 Likes

One i need to purchase when i see it. (thanks for the info).

Heddiw - today.

Scleroderma areolatum, un waith eto dim enw yn yr cymraeg a hyn o bryd - once again no welsh name at the moment.
(there was a discussion on the forum some time ago about gender, as most of you probably know, fungi are not male or female (they make do with just being different)).

Aeron o draenen ddu - berries of blackthorn.

Mae’r troellig yr hydref dechrau ymddangos - the autumn ladies tresses are starting to appear.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

That looks like an interesting one. I shall be looking out for it. I hadn’t realised that the name for earthballs is scleroderma. I only knew of the name in it’s autoimmune disease context. Scler - hard. Derma- skin.
Happy that I can offer something from the book in return for pestering you for IDs:
Scleroderma areolatum - coden smotiog

2 Likes

Specially for @henddraig, who wants pictures of foreign parts. Rhesus Macaque. Zhangjiajie National Park, Hunan province, southern China.

9 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Much appreciated! Have you seen any dragons? I know there are kimodo ones and I fancy there is a little green reptile called a Chinese water dragon. In our village, at one stage, a couple took on a tourist shop/grocery shop and got rid of crafts in favour of reptiles. They had at least one Chinese water dragon whom I adored! Unfortunately their business model failed and they had to sell up and leave. Your Rhesus Macaque is a change from gwiwerod, mind!

2 Likes

Lots of them on Chinese temples in Thailand, but nothing living. I have seen geckos but I’m not quick enough to catch them on my phone.

2 Likes

Some sort of acorn gall. I Imagined I’d disturbed a pixie in picking it up.

8 Likes

Talking about gwiwerod, guess what I saw today? Pallas Squirrel, gwiwer Pallas.

5 Likes

oh wow! I never got that close to our gwiwerod goch! Mind, yours looks darker than pics i found - and nicer. The pics i Googled looked a dismal grey and not very charming! your little friend is lovely!

2 Likes

Mae’n edrych fel chwydden goed - it looks like a knopper gall.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

A surprise seen today on a low East-facing brick wall by a busy road junction in North Oxford - difficult to judge just from the picture but it was about 3.5in across. Moss on the wall appeared to be the nearest piece of organic material - do you think it could have been growing on that @ramblingjohn @pippapritchard ?

5 Likes

That does look odd @johnwilliams_6 I have heard of, but not seen the “pavement mushroom” madarch palmentydd which apparently grows through tarmac.
I’ll leave identification to ein arbenigwr @ramblingjohn - our expert - but I’ll preempt a question. Did you notice if it had gills or pores?

1 Like