What's outside

Unfortunately it was a very small amount of eclipse here, glad you enjoyed, i know some members of local astronomy club went to America for images which i may get to see next month.

today - heddiw.

Aeron y rhosyn gwyllt (hegroes) - berries of wild rose (rose-hips).

Aeron ysgawen - Elder berries.

Tarianbryf - sheildbug.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

good for wine making, I believe!

[quote=“henddraig, post:2787, topic:971”]
good for wine making, I believe! [/quote]
Indeed! My husband used to make elderberry wine which, I’m told, was quite good. (I don’t drink.) He hasn’t made any in years (too busy, mostly) but those berries look luscious!

My sister, when she lived here in Missouri, used to make elderberry pie, too. It had to be sweetened a great deal, but was quite tasty.

1 Like

My sister used to make “harvest jam” from windfall apples, blackberries and elderberries. It was good. Lovely photos. I do like this thread.

1 Like

We have made elderberry and lemon curd pie in years past - the lemon curd is sweet and sharp enough to give the dark tasting elderberries a run for their money!
Harvest jam sounds really good - although all those ingredients together in this house would end up in a pie!
We made elderberry ketchup once too. They look so ready in this photo, don’t they?

1 Like

Heddiw - today (a friend came by with the card from his remote camera).

Bwncath - Buzzard.

Tri tylluan wen ifanc - three young barn owls (that were raised in his horse shelter).

Cheers J.P.

13 Likes

My son took these in his garden in Sir Benfro y bore 'ma (in Pembrokeshire this morning). Gwalch Glas (Sparrow Hawk)

8 Likes

Bloyden pinc gyda prydd coch

5 Likes

Nith morgrygen (ant nest)

4 Likes

Bloyden melen bach (little yellow flower)

3 Likes

Bloyden melon eto

5 Likes

Ur hen gar

3 Likes

Dw i’n credu mai dyma’r broblem ( I believe this is the problem )

2 Likes

Did you mean pryf copyn (a nasty eight legged creature, the existence of large ones of which in your country put me off ever visiting!) I had some friends living in urban Sidney who mentioned huge arachnids as common visitors! - Mind, they may have wanted to put me off!
I love the incredibly red soil/sand in your pictures. Is there a load of iron there? It looks as if you could practically shovel some up and smelt it!!

1 Like

Cheers. Nope that is an ants nest not a spiders. The soil is rich in iron but not that much there. There is an iron ore mine only about 80km away. I wouldn’t let a little spider put you off travelling here. There are bigger issues than that, besides I have lived here for nearly 40 years and never had an issue gyda cobyn☺.

1 Like

Another ants nest. Really large hole but the ants arent that big only about 1 cm long. For size that is the toe of my boot at the bottom.

4 Likes

Looked outside my front window yesterday evening and could not resist trying to hold my iPad still enough to get:-

enfys - rainbow

12 Likes

Do you think this little dragon I met last night on my way home wanted to tell me not to give up on learning Welsh?

10 Likes

Of course he did!

2 Likes

About 4 inches long and amazingly beautiful. In Obuse, about three hours north west of Tokyo.

11 Likes