What's outside

Y bore 'ma (This morning)

Iâr fach yr haf (butterfly) or pilipala (butterfly) Which expression is used most frequently? Can’t find the Welsh names for these common examples either, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 Likes

I suspect pilipala nowadays, but @ramblingjohn is the most expert and will know the names for all! They are lovely pics!

2 Likes

Mantell goch - Red admiral.
Gweirloyn Brych - Speckled wood.
Mantell paun - Peacock.

I tend to use 'gloyn byw ’ for butterfly but the other names are fine.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn @ramblingjohn. I can see where ‘gloyn byw’ might come from - gloyw (bright, shining), but ‘iâr fach yr haf’ - ‘little summer hen’ stretches things a bit and ‘pilipala’ is beyond rational thought, but it sounds good. Apologies for my attempts to translate, but I like playing around with these names. Thanks again

1 Like

It was a rather nice day to be rambling near Oxford.

Barf yr hen wr - old mans beard.

Jac y neidiwr - Himalayan balsam.

While sitting in a tea garden i spotted the days surprise land high on a wall.

Gwalchwyfyn hofran - Hummingbird hawk moth.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

So that’s what Himalayan Baldwin looks like. Thank you @ramblingjohn. Do you happen to have a picture of Japanese knotweed too please?

2 Likes

Shield bugs, lots of them, inside a vending machine. The vending machines are very, very common around here. It’s a function of it being hot, so people often want a drink, and a very law abiding society.

4 Likes

Where next, @margaretnock? p.s. I wouldn’t fancy anything out of a machine like that, even if all the cans and bottles are totally sealed!

Sorry- auto correct took over! Balsom!

1 Like

I’m a different John. @ramblingjohn: Not wishing to butt-in, but just let me know if you want me to take a pic of some Knotweed. As you will be aware, Swansea is Knotweed City. I think it was introduced to strengthen our railway embankments.

1 Like

isn’t auto-correct annoying! It always seems to creep in as i hit the button committing to the entry!
To @JohnYoung we had knotweed creeping over Gower in my day!

1 Like

Where next? Well, I’m on an island called Shikoku, the smallest of the four main islands of Japan.On Saturday I started walking around it, visiting 88 temples. I’ve been to three so far. I’m not sure how long it’s going to take me, but it’s about 1100 km, so I’m going to be here for a while yet.

3 Likes

I was hoping someone would as at the moment i don’t know where to guarantee seeing it
(no doubt i will pass some sooner or later).

Yr lleuad cilgant henno - the crescent moon tonight (not a great image).

but it’s about 1100 km, so I’m going to be here for a while yet.
Margaret, i’m just soooo impressed, remembering our shared strolls i didn’t realise how far it would take you. (more images when you can please).

so i have taken an image of Margaret nock’s hike, if we occasionally get information of her progress, i will try and scribble a line around the island.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

i greatly admire your fortitude! Is there much reaction in Japan to the antics of Kin Jong Un and Donald Trump?

@JohnYoung Sorry to mix you up with @ramblingjohn, I didn’t know about Swansea being ‘knotweed city’ or the reason behind the name. Interesting! A photo would be great if possible please just so that I know what to look out for should it invade my garden.

1 Like

I believe @JohnYoung was joking. It just spread because nobody took responsibility for weeding roadsides and railway embankments - Council? Highways? British Rail (as it was then)? It was lane-sides on Gower and we didn’t have much hope. Weedkiller would kill good and bad, cutting just spread it, as did uprooting as little bits could grow and pop up anywhere! Each person just policed their land. Given the size of my yard, not difficult, but farmers had much harder problems.

If I didn’t keep up with things via the BBC I wouldn’t know about it. Spoilt brats, the both of them. However the BBC tells me today there’s going to be a snap election here as the PMs popularity is increasing.

1 Like

OK. I’ve been in Kochi, the middle of the bottom bay, since Thursday but started walking on Saturday, from the bottom right hand point, Moruto Cape, temple 24. There’s no need to start at temple 1, which I knew, or to go clockwise, which I knew. What I didn’t know is that you can actually do it in any order you like. I walked to 25 and 26 as well on Saturday. Walked towards, but didn’t arrive at 27 yesterday. 27 and about half way to 28 today. Tomorrow, Inshallah, and weather permitting, I’ll start at 29 and walk back to 28 and on to my finishing point today, Akano, or Akona station.

1 Like

Hi @AnneEvans. That’s ok, you didn’t mix us up. I just thought that I’d better explain as there are two of us (Johns). I just made up the name “Knotweed City” as an alternative to Copperopolis:) .

Anyway, there could well be some knotweed growing opposite my house (unless it has been cut back recently), so I’ll try to get a picture tonight.

1 Like

I saw Copperopolis used for Tinopolos (Llanelli) the other day!

1 Like