What's outside

pwnc gwahanol - different topic.

First, please excuse the dreadful photo’s (cameras do not like energy saver light bulbs).

Today i received a phone call to say a friend was bringing a caterpillar for me to identify on behalf of some one else.
I imagined the large hawk moth caterpillars i have not found this year (this is bordering on excitement), then reality arrived.

The top image shows a small caterpillar on a large mat like structure,
hopefully you can see in the lower image that the mat is made of lots of tubes of a silk like substance with a head protruding from some.
These are case bearing caterpillars of the clothes moth.
Oh dear, but at least now they know.

Cheers J.P. (i won’t be keeping them).

3 Likes

diolch . Nice to know the enemy!

1 Like

Here’s the Japanese Knotweed (I believe), that is poking out of the fence on the opposite side of the road to us. Sorry about uploading X 3. I was trying out “Drag and drop” and assumed that it wasn’t working.

3 Likes

[quote=“JohnYoung, post:2828, topic:971”]
Sorry about uploading X 3. I was trying out “Drag and drop” and assumed that it wasn’t working. [/quote]

Yeah, it can be sneaky that way. Fixed it for you. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @JohnYoung. It looks quite innocuous really!

2 Likes

Nasty sneaky things are often more dangerous really than - well, plants and animals which advertise that they are poisonous or big fierce predators! An invasive weed which was bright red and white would never get going because it would be noticed at once! Evolution ensures that only successfully sneaky ones survive!

1 Like

Taith Margaret - Margaret’s journey.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Machlud haul ar y traeth, dydd Sadwrn diwetha - Sunset at the beach, last Saturday

9 Likes

Diolch John. Wedi cyrraedd teml 36 ddoe, a dw i’n aros mewn gwesty eitha posh ac yn edrych lawr ar y Pacific. Dw i’n weld helipad!
Yn yr ardd.

tua thair troedfed, ochr i ochr.

10 Likes

Taith Margaret - Margaret’s journey.

Heddiw gwenynen am rhywogaeth dw i ddim yn holl siwr - today a bee of species i am not totally sure.

I’m thinking they are slender mining bees. some make a structure that looks like a small volcano.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Hopys - Hops.

Cap inc carpiog - shaggy ink cap.

smokey spindles (enw Latin - Latin name) Clavaria fumosa.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

How wonderfully strange are those smokey spindles!

2 Likes

Beaver - afanc

Beaver dam

Snaps from holidaying in Alaska. A fantastic experience all round but the beaver - what an amazing animal. The dam was enormous (pic shows about a third of it) & had raised the water level in the river significantly.

6 Likes

We have beavers in mid-Argyll, European ones, reintroduced a few years ago, but after I stopped walking far. As they are nocturnal it’s hard to get pictures anyway. We did have the folk in charge of the Project living nearby, but I think they have gone because the beavers are doing OK without protection.

3 Likes

Wedi cyrraedd Temple 38, at the south western tip of Shikoku. Today’s travelling has been by train and bus as it’s been pretty soggy and the distances between temples hereabouts are fairly long.

5 Likes

taith Margaret - Margaret’s journey.

dal ati, a mwynhau - keep at it, and enjoy.

cheers J.P.

2 Likes

About to go for breakfast, which will be beautifully presented. Unlike myself.

Day 5 after being knocked down by a bicycle.

Oh my are you OK?

I’m fine. It’s going to look worse before it looks better. I referred to it elsewhere to encourage people to go over to my blog for further details, and there are a couple of other pictures. www.bywyd.cymru

1 Like

Iesgob annwyl - brysia wella, Margaret…

1 Like