What's outside

Apologies for quality of photo - experimenting with my ‘new’ second-hand iphone! But this morning, for the first time this year, while Janet was walking the dogs before dawn (8.14 am), down came quite a lot of snow. It stopped very quickly, so the covering you see arrived in 30 minutes at most!

6 Likes

Robin goch .

Cheers J.P.

11 Likes

Gor-leuad - Supermoon

Beth yw Gor-leuad?

Ydych chi'n bwriadu gweld y Gor-leuad heno? Dyma Huw Morgan o'r Adran Ffiseg i esbonio ychydig am y ffenomena yma.

Posted by Prifysgol Aberystwyth on Sunday, 3 December 2017
What is a Supermoon?

Are you planning on seeing the Supermoon tonight? Here's Huw Morgan from our Physics Department to explain a little about this phenomena.

Posted by Aberystwyth University on Sunday, 3 December 2017
4 Likes

total cloud cover here at the moment so i hope others will get photos.

As the moon rises it is becoming visible through the cloud so just maybe a photo tonight.

Photo through cloud so not a quality image.

Lleuad mawr henno - big moon tonight.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Had a brief glimpse of the moon last night, just after midnight. It was high in the sky and seen by looking up through the velux in our shower room. I did not have a camera or iphone on me! But my reaction to the sight was disappointment because I had heard all about this supermoon and it did not seem to me to look noticeably larger than usual. I would not have taken a pic if I had been able to! Of course, the moon and the sun look larger when near the horizon, due to the magnification effect of the atmosphere, but I had thought the moon would look bigger than usual! Not here it didn’t! It was covered with cloud two minutes later!

1 Like

Yes, Hendraig, it was the same in Swansea Area. It was slightly larger-looking than usual, but flying high before we could see it. I can appreciate that if had been visible as it cleared the roof tops it would have looked big in comparison with the houses.

1 Like

The birds are sticking to the tops of the trees at the moment and usually fly off before I manage to get them in focus but this Greenfinch - Llinos Werdd - did wait for me.

6 Likes

A little behind time for this comment, but I did get a really good look at the supermoon when it rose here Sunday evening - absolutely gorgeous. The photos I took don’t really do it justice, but here they are:

This one includes the bonus of our neighbors’ chicken coop with Christmas-lights!

The attempts at zooming in some didn’t work really well, but it was pretty spectacular!

7 Likes

Much brighter than what I saw, more yellow, so likely lower , so bigger too! Do many people decorate their chicken coops with goleuadau Nadolig?

1 Like

[quote=“henddraig, post:2934, topic:971”]
Do many people decorate their chicken coops with goleuadau Nadolig?[/quote]
Not as far as I know!

1 Like

This is what usually happens when I point a camera at a bird !

These two Goosanders - Hwyaden Ddanheddog - must be blind or stupid. The one with the black head is a male, the female (last photo) has a brown head.

5 Likes

As most of you will have also had snow, ours is no surprise, but yesterday morning our aderyn (birds) decided we were the best source of food in mid-Argyll, and passed the message on:-

8 Likes

That is quite a flock you have there! Must cost you a fortune.

A distant Telor y cnau gyda mesen. Nuthatch & an acorn. It was tapping at the nut for ages. I’m not sure if it was trying to ram it into the tree or trying to crack it open but it took a long time doing it.

Dryw ben aur. Gold crest. It stopped flitting about only momentarily & was off before I could get any closer. Spot the birdie.

7 Likes

You have rarer birds than we do! Starlings used to be very, very rare here, but now they seem determined to over-winter!

2 Likes

This is still one for which i have a failed list.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Castell Ewloe heddiw.
We have snow in North East Wales today.

9 Likes

I’m just having a flash-back now to the 60s/70s and the starling in our estate who was a whiz at imitating a trimphone. The number of neighbours who kept running back indoors… :smiley:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=trimphone+sound&view=detail&mid=ECD1EEC344DD478C4183ECD1EEC344DD478C4183&FORM=VIRE

5 Likes

I hope none of ours start imitating our phones or my Toffi who can yap more loudly than seems possible, given her size!

1 Like

Yr Afon Tweed y bore 'ma. Mae hi’n oer iawn- The River Tweed this morning. It is very cold.

9 Likes

For anyone who might be interested in (Rambling for Welsh learners).

That is the title for a course at Plas tan y bwlch , July 27-29 2018.
Price from £219.

Be aware: it’s in the new brochure but not on their website yet (which could be confusing).

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes