What's outside

Lots of reports, it seems. 10 miles inland in Dorset, various rivers and now, as the Thames is cleaned up, seal colonies creeping further up the estuary! 2017, the Tyne mentioned. Oh, and there was a dolphin in the Thames which got as far as Putney, I believe, before being found dead.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I didn’t want to keep banging on about Newcastle, but as you’ve mentioned it, I saw the pics of a grey seal from the Swing Bridge.

Incidentally, a friend of mine recently helped to save a dolphin that was stranded on Aberavon Beach. He happened to live in a flat that backs directly on to the beach, and he noticed the dolphin one morning, so jumped out to help it out. The official rescuers turned up soon afterwards but were happy for the locals to stay involved. He found it to be a very emotional experience. The coastguard took some video footage, which clearly shows my friend and his adapted beer towel.

4 Likes

No seals here but 2018 has started colourful.

straeon iorwg - ivy berries.

Eirlys - snowdrops.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

heddiw, rhywbeth braidd yn gynnar - today, something rather early.

Cenawon collen - Hazel catkins (normally i see these appearing now).

Blodyn collen - Hazel flower (early).

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

One effect of global warming was predicted to be much colder weather associated with melting ice carrying cold water further south. We are having cold/warm/cold and across the Atlantic…cold, cold, cold! No hazel flower has much chance here at present, but the snow melted very quickly! -2 today, +3 predicted for tomorrow!

1 Like

Indeed, we here in the US Midwest are seeing marked effects of climate change. It stayed quite warm (with occasional cold spells) right into December and then, just before Christmas, the temperatures plunged, and have stayed quite low. We are actually above freezing for the first time in at least a couple of weeks today! And the next few days will have highs even warmer, with Wednesday even staying above freezing at night! But then by next weekend it will plunge again and will stay below freezing in the day.

3 Likes

Yes another predicted effect was widely fluctuating temperature and air pressure! Wilder, less predictable weather!

1 Like

llychlyn relates to “viking” I believe Theresa :slight_smile:

heddiw, mae’r cwpanau elf scarled wedi dechrau ymddangos - today, the scarlet elf cups have started appearing.

ffwng, cwpan elf scarled - fungus, scarlet elf cup.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

mae tywydd yn braf heddiw

13 Likes

Oo, mae hynna’n edrych yn hardd! Isio dod i ymweld â chi rwan! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dim llun, ond mae’r tywydd yma - No photo, but the weather here:

4 Ionawr/January: Oedd hi’n bwrw eira ac yn wyntog iawn. Wnaethon ni gael 40cm o eira. (It was snowing and very windy. We got 40cm/16in of snow.)

Penwythnos diwetha/Last weekend: Oedd hi’n wyntog iawn iawn, tua -15°C yn ystod y diwrnod ac -23°C yn y nos. (It was very, very windy, about -15°C/+5°F during the day and -23°C/-10°F at night.) (Not including wind chill factor!)

Ddoe a neithiwr/Yesterday and last night: Oedd hi’n bwrw glaw yn ddrwm, +15°C. (It rained heavily and was +15°C/+60°F.)

Y bore 'ma, nawrThis morning, now: Mae hi’n +10°C. Mae’r eira i gyd wedi mynd. (It’s +10°C/50°F. All the snow is gone.)

Heno/Tonight: Bydd hi’n -13°C. (It will be -13°C/+8°F.)

Hollol nuts!

6 Likes

http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=539122310
Iolo in Awstralia, many creatures i won’t get to photograph.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Diolch John … Iolo hwre!

Some work by the woolen weavers around here.

7 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Titw’r helyg - willow tit.

Cheers J.P.

12 Likes

Rare, I,think, and lovely!

1 Like

How adorable!!! Great shot!

1 Like

Fantastic pic @ramblingjohn

1 Like

Not the best pic, but…

Mae heddiw yn ddiflas - yn oer, yn rhewllyd, ac yn beryglus, gyda glaw ac iâ. Today is miserable - cold, icy and dangerous, with rain and ice.

6 Likes