What's outside

Heno - tonight.

Lleuad newydd a aderyn - new moon and birds (almost a good image).

Cheers J.P.

11 Likes

Oh, John, that’s a wonderful image!!

1 Like

So glad you mentioned the birds. I was so concentrating on the moon, I scrolled past the birds without noticing them! I agree with @Sionned, when I saw it all, it was brilliant! How, oh how, Sut? What sort of camera lets you take enormously long exposures…no then the birds would be hopelessly blurred… I admit, no idea how you took that!

1 Like

Hediw - today.

Carw Mwntjac - Muntjac deer.

This was a first in that i was watching the deer for a few minutes before it noticed me,
notice the stalks of (iorwg) ivy next to the deer, it was eating the (streaon) berries
which i have not seen deer do before !

whenever i have watched deer browsing plants, i assumed they were eating leaves and buds,
but this one certainly appeared to be just picking off the berries.

Cheers J.P.

12 Likes

I thought ivy was very poisonous. Maybe the berries are OK for deer? Meanwhile, we found this pic of our local heronry taken back when I was still walking!

7 Likes

It was 07:56 in the morning on Thursday 19 July 1984. I was twelve at the time and sleeping in the top of a bunk bed. The earthquake measured in at 5.4 on the Richter scale and it’s ‘centre’ was a couple of miles from our home on the Llŷn Peninsula. My mother was in the kitchen at the time, holding a match to a gas stove ready to make eggs for breakfast - she thought her time was up! She ran out and for a few seconds could see our driveway moving in waves. It was the most powerful onshore quake in the UK for 100 years.

We’ve had a lot of tremors in Gwynedd over the years. Apparently nearly 900 earthquakes have been recorded in Wales by the BGS since 1970! So Gwynedd has now been named one of the UK’s top earthquake hotspots!

8 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Catrin! I was 42. ‘Auntie’ had retired. Her brother between Bangor and Caernarfon was in his 80s, so the family who fled into his room were all adults!! I knew it must have been bad, to have that effect, but your personal experience is worth so much more than mere reports in the papers!

1 Like

A few Magellanic penguin photos taken 10 days ago at Punta Tombo on the coast of Patagonia:

These penguins nest in holes in the ground …

… but try and fiund shelter from the sun where they can.

More penguins to come, but in the meantime … :slight_smile:

10 Likes

How wonderful! :smile:

1 Like

No need for an explanation…

5 Likes

Little friends in the garden, thankful for some extra treats today…

6 Likes

Are you on holiday there, John? Or working? Or living there,now? I love the pics!

2 Likes

Yes, I had a great holiday there enjoying a nice hot southern hemisphere summer in Yr Wladfa :upside_down: - it was a nasty shock to the system arriving home at the weekend as you can imagine. Ironic really - there the penguins had to shelter from the heat of the sun but they’d have loved this weather …

2 Likes

Great pictures @johnwilliams_6. Did you come across any Welshness?

1 Like

As a member of Côr Cymry Gogledd America (the North American Welsh Choir) I went on a choir tour to Patagonia several years ago. It was especially interesting to chat with a woman selling t-shirts at a Welsh event. She didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Spanish so we communicated through Welsh - a little creaky on both sides but it worked!

We occasionally had “excursions” and one was to see the penguins at Punta Tombo. My husband went on that one, but I chose another one at the same time - historic Welsh chapels.

It is a beautiful country, and the Welsh areas really hang on to their Welsh heritage.

4 Likes

Yes, indeed @pippapritchard - as @Sionned says there’s a lot of Welshness there with chapels and Welsh community centres and schools too in Trevelin, Gaiman and Trelew and we got to visit quite a few of them - it seems, in fact, there’s been a resurgence in interest in Welsh language and culture since the centenary and 150th celebrations

3 Likes

@Sionned mentioned the historic chapels so, before more penguins…

Capel Seion & Welsh community centre, Esquel at foot of the Andes:

Capel Bethel, Trevelein (30km-ish from Esquel):

Capel Bethel, Gaiman in the Chubut/Camy River valley:

6 Likes

… and one or two more chapels :slight_smile:

Capel Glan Alaw, Dolavon, nr Gaiman:

Capel Bethesda, Dolavon:

Diolch yn fawr i Gapel Bethesda for the tea and cakes! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

… and finally two more from the city of Trelew, to the east of Gaiman:

Capel Moriah:

and Capel Tabernacl in the centre of Trelew:

8 Likes

Like pictures of home, it was! But then, our little Chapel on Gower was built in 1887ish, so was pretty much contemperary with many of those. But where did they get the lovely timbers for the ceilings? Thank you for those hands across the waves! Mind, we had long since lost our hen iaith! It went with the coming of the Normans! But those pictures from small farming communities shows just how alike we still were despite the language difference!

1 Like