What's outside

it’s still possible to see cherry blossom - mae’n dal bosib i gweld blodau ceirios.

cheers J.P.

6 Likes

(That’s taking some time to fix :smiley: or was it 2018?)
Please ignore and scroll past -
Seemed funny at the time - I was probably in need of food.

1 Like

No need to camp out in the garden, One of the new boxes definitely has residents! I just happened to spot a Tit go in to one this morning. Automatically thought it must have been a Great Tit because that is what we have in the established nesting box. But on second sight, it looked like a Blue Tit. I shall keep a close look and let you know. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s looking like another interesting year of wildlife.

With the return of internet i am enjoying catching up with Iolo.
http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=57462136

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

A very interesting discussion on Radio Cymru this morning between Aled Huges and Kelvin Jones from the British Trust for Ornothology, about the Gog/Cuckoo. Worth listening back to it on iPlayer…

Here’s a recording I made of the Gog/Cuckoo last May. I’m very much hoping for a return this spring.

Here’s a link to the BTO website in case you have an interest in finding out more about what they do…

https://www.bto.org/

4 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Llygad ebrill - Lesser celandaine.

Neidr ddefaid gyntaf - first slow worm.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Briallu - Primrose.

Cacynen - Bumble bee. (Dw i ddim holl swr am’r rhywogaeth - I’m not completely sure of species)
(looks most like early bumble bee - Bombus pratorum).

Wyn bach gwernen - Alder catkin.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Very excited about this! For the very first time in this garden since we moved here in September of 2016, yesterday I saw a single Titw Cynffon Hir / Long Tailed Tit. We live on very open common land in the foothills of Snowdonia facing the sea - land full of gorse, marshes, streams, heather, but not many trees apart from our garden. So this was a real treat!

12 Likes

We seem to get more of these here than I did on Gower, but tis year is so odd, I wouldn’t be surprised if a chough suddenly landed on the fence!! (Well, I would! But you know what I mean!!).

1 Like

A few days in north Wales produced a few photos.

tu fewn i’r eglwys Llandudno - inside the church Llandudno.

Ffenest eglwys - church window.

Rhywogaeth o berdysen - species of shrimp.

Sea horse.

Morlo - Seal.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Were you in aquarium? :wink:

2 Likes

rhan o’r amser - Part of the time :wink:

Heddiw, mae’r blodyn y gwynt dechrau ymddangos - Today, the wood anemonies started to appear.

Cheers J.P.

11 Likes

Mae’n ddrwg gen i, Catrin, I have to tell you I hear no ‘Cuckoo!’ on your recording, just a bit of sound a bit like sticks breaking. Must be my ears. Unless Gogledd birds sound very, very different to the clear ‘cuckoo’ I got used to on Gower!
To @ramblingjohn
Glad to have you back with us and I have always loved the delicate blooms of the wood anmonies!

1 Like

I couldn’t hear the cuckoo either.

That’s a lovely photo. I think they are also sometimes called Wind Flowers in English aren’t they?
Sue

1 Like

It’s not very loud I’m afraid - you have to turn the volume right up. It sings throughout the recording, but is loudest about 16, 20 and 28 seconds. I can hear it clearest during the bit in the middle where the breeze passes the mic. But the sound of the stream does make it tricky to hear.

Last spring we could hear it almost every day from our back door. Such a rare and beautiful sound. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yesterday morning we got an Easter present! It must have been detectable on Saturday, but we didn’t notice the little bud! In about 2005, in a bed made from builders’ rubble, a bit of old topsoil and some ericaceous compost, I planted a babi bach! A camelia about a foot high at most, bought at Lochgilphead Co-op! It is getting quite large now, despite pruning and it flowers pretty well. But this year has been so horrible - cold, wet, snow, ice… However, what we woke up to on Easter Sunday was…

Its first flower of 2018 and a new little bud as well! Da iawn Camelia, you have brightened our lives!

7 Likes

On Monday the snow came. The weight of it bent out the top branches of this bush and revealed a blackbird nest with one egg in it. The birds came back yesterday when the branches had straightened up.

The nest is right in the middle of the picture.

Raymond

8 Likes

I wonder if it can still hatch. Cold sometimes just slows things down for very young organisms.

1 Like

Probably not, but hopefully they will lay more eggs which will.

Heddiw - today.

Dant y llew - Dandelion.

Creyr glas - grey heron.

Alan mawr - Butterbur.

Violed gyffredin - common violet.

Neidr y gwair gyntaf - First grass snake.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

The frogspawn is not looking good. There are 3 clumps like this that have sunk to the bottom of our small pond.
Hope they notice & try again.

2 Likes