What's outside

Yes @pippapritchard this happened in our pond too. There was a sudden return to winter soon after the spawn appeared and it sank to the bottom, but we’ve either got some new spawn, or it has resurfaced with the warmer (slightly) weather.

2 Likes

I have my fingers crossed for an outcome such as yours. Thank you for the encouragement @dougewart

2 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Mantell garpiog - Comma.

Tarianbryf - Sheildbug.

Faint o neidr ddefaid - how many slow worms.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Gwych!

2 Likes

Are slow worms really called sheep snakes?

1 Like

Okay this is a bit ridiculous. It’s April 8th and we have 1 or 2 inches of new snow outside (and still falling)! Sheesh!

7 Likes

Our latest batch melted quickly and now it is dull but mild. But what your comment reminds us is that global warming causes messed up weather everywhere! I doubt our Victoria plum tree will flower at all this year. If it tried, it’s blossoms were frozen unopened!

1 Like

Oh no! I was looking back through my old Facebook posts and found one relating to today from years back and the mention of fast falling flakes in Pen Llyn. In contrast, I found a video I took exactly a year ago yesterday, The sun was warm, the kids were in tees, there were leaves on the trees and we were cooking and evening barbecue!

Yesterday was one of the nicest days we’ve had so far this year, it was warm, we had blue skies and the sun was pelting down - beautiful. So we had an afternoon in the garden, trying to get rid of the damaging signs of winter.

@Sionned, we’ve had the pleasure of welcoming you to our garden, so you can imagine the epic amounts of work needed!

I managed to clear all the paths, filling no less than three wheelie bins with leaves, pine needles, dead fern and more. We pruned and tidied as much as we could and filled the bird feeders… I can feel at last that barbecue season is near! I’ve recruited a gang of family for the 21st who will come armed with chainsaws, strimmers, hedge cutters, loppers and so on so we can really get the place ready for the summer! :grin:

2 Likes

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:3174, topic:971”]
I’ve recruited a gang of family for the 21st who will come . . . [/quote]
Sounds like you’ve made lots of progress! I’d love to come help but on the 21st I’ll be headed down to Tresaith . . . :open_mouth:

3 Likes

A reasonable morning weatherwise at last!

Blackbird - aderyn du

House sparrow - aderyn y to

A beetle feeding from a celandine - chwilen yn bwydo ar lygad Ebrill

& hwre hwre hwre a long way away - a swallow - gwennol

7 Likes

I caught this lovely goldfinch out our window two days ago. (Yes, on Sunday it snowed, yesterday it was 86° F (30° C) here! And they’re saying “wintery mix” for next Sunday!)

5 Likes

Hi @Sionned,
You had me very puzzled for a while. Then I remembered that you are in USA. Your goldfinches are different from our goldfinches. Lovely photo.
Sue

3 Likes

Fritillaries in a wet wood near the Thames. With luck the fritillaries in Iffley Meadows, Oxford, will follow soon.
Sue

7 Likes

Heddiw lwcus iawn - today very lucky.

Gwalch glas - sparrow hawk.

Apparently we are promised a view of the sun next week, just imagine a day without rain!!!

Cheers J.P .

12 Likes

Wow!!! :astonished: :astonished::astonished:

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Madfall - common lizard.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Ardderchog, JP!

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Neidr ddefaid ifanc - young slow worm.

Clychau’r gog - blue bell (just starting to flower).

Cheers J.P

6 Likes

At the bottom of our garden. Cheered up a miserable day here.
I’ve never seen a ‘morel’ before so am uncertain of type. Any suggestions @ramblingjohn
Morel cyffredin neu ffug. Morel or false morel?
I won’t be picking or eating.

7 Likes

It looks very much like a morel. They have been the only mushroom I am certain we can eat safely. I wasn’t aware of the ‘false morel’ - we’ve always only had ‘real’ ones, I guess. What is the difference?

2 Likes