What's outside

Heddiw - today.

Chwilen ysgarled - Cardinal beetle.

Gwyn blaen oren benywaidd - female orange tip.

Gwyn blaen oren benywaidd o dan adain - under wing female orange tip.

Gwyn blaen oren gwrywaidd - male orange tip.

Gwyn blaen oren gwrywaidd o dan adain. - under wing male orange tip.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

well, life is springing with the gwanwyn here in the thawed-out north!
our plum tree amazed me! I had thought all its flowers frozen in the bud, but it waited and… we may even have plums (Victorias)
Up in the wild garden, around the pond and behind and beside it…

marsh marigolds I think.
and are these wood anemones?

sorry, too small to tell, I think!

8 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Banadl - Broom.

Tarianbryf y ddraenen wen - Hawthorn shield bug.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Hi @ramblingjohn or @CatrinLliarJones, we need an ID, stat! This little bird has been hanging around for days now but we can’t identify it in our book (we’ve never failed with our book before). Dead simple for you guys, no doubt.
https://youtu.be/eCBR6AYbsrw

Sorry about the vertical recording, my son was at the helm while I was painting a wall. :unamused:

4 Likes

The only one of the shrubs/trees I think I can identify is the first one which looks to me very much like flowers of a Magnolia stellata .

• The second one looks as if it could be a plum or cherry - or I was wondering if it might be an Amelanchier but not sure that the flowers are quite right for that. Did it have any plum-like/cherry-like fruit in the autumn?
  • No idea about the third one - the fourth looks vaguely familiar but I can’t place it - could it perhaps be one of the hollies with spineless leaves?
  • I’m wondering if the fifth one could be a viburnum - does it have scented flowers?
  • The last one, a bit of a stab in the dark - a weeping ash perhaps??
    Maybe this a case for a visit by Garddio a Muy :slight_smile:?
3 Likes

I’ve really struggled with this but at the moment best gess is Llinos - Linnet.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Thank you John, I’ll check to see if it’s in the book after all. :slight_smile:

After having a good look I’d definitely say that it isn’t a linnet. Sorry. If you listen in the film it’s just a single chirp repeated, not anything I would call a “birdsong”. Maybe I need to try to get a decent photo tomorrow.

@ramblingjohn My wife got this photo … it’s the best we’ve got at the moment.

4 Likes

A person from rspb mentions fledglings of many types making simple one tweet calls, just learning to talk, I guess. So little bird, single twit, could be baban bach of… blackbird, thrush… not golden eagle or long tailed tit, but…???

1 Like

Hubby thinks it might be a Dunnock.

Yes it does look like one. A couple of internet recordings show an actual song, but another that I noticed, just has single chirps.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/dunnock.htm

Edited for grammar and spelling. Auto correct didsbled :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks all.

1 Like

Sorry, just seen this. Definitely looks like a dunnock, possibly calling another male?

1 Like

heddiw - today.

Un Gweirloyn brych - one speckled wood.

Ddau Gweirloyn brych - two speckled wood.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Ah, I had one of those in my garden last week. I noticed the different form of beak and that it was a bit bigger than the other crow-type birds. (I’m really not very good at this bird identification :smile:)

2 Likes

Diolch @johnwilliams_6 for your input! I think I’m starting to get there with the identification - picking up clues here and there. I now think that the first is a very sad looking magnolia - certainly doesn’t like its place and could possibly do with relocating. I think, as you do that the second is indeed an Amelanchier - beautiful and thriving. I’ve been told that the third is a type of Spirea - there are about three in the garden. The fourth is possible a Holm Oak which has suffered this winter. The fifth as you rightly say, we’ve discovered is a Viburnum, and lastly, the weeping tree could well be a weeping ash! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the fourth could well be a Holm Oak - can well imagine that wasn’t very happy after this winter. I’d be a bit hesitant about relocating the magnolia as the roots can be quite brittle and they can resent being moved, but if it’s not too big it might be worth a try.
You may well already know this, but a couple of useful clues for identifcation are number of petals making up the flower and whether leaf stems are placed in pairs opposite each other on branches or if the emerge alternately ‘left’ and ‘right’ along the branches

4 Likes

Ah, this info is very useful - thank you! Will definitely think about the magnolia and seek further advice.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Heddiw - Today.

Mursen fawr goch (gwrywaidd) - (male) Large red damselfly.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Today - heddiw.

Gwibiwr brith - Grizzled skipper.

Picellwr Boliog (Gweision y neidr) - Broad bodied chaser (dragon fly).

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes