What's outside

Ynys Echni (Flatholm) looking lonely- taken from an ‘awyren’ (airplane) in Mai :stuck_out_tongue:

The island (ynys) is south of Caerdydd (Cardiff)

8 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Gellesgen - Yellow iris.

Cheers J.P.

13 Likes

We seem to be quite a bit later than you but a week of warm days has brought out the blossom. These two are both heavily scented.

Rowan

Lilac

8 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Gwyn cleisiog - Clouded silver.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

I posted a recording of the cuckoo from last year some time ago and some found it difficult to hear. I’ve been out again this morning to record y gog / the cuckoo - I hope that this recording, despite the breeze, the dog and other wildlife, is a little clearer. It’s louder towards the end about 40 seconds in - best turn your volume right up…,

5 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Gwybedyn mai - Mayfly. (click on image for full size).

Deialu haul - sun dial.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Great pic.
We had Lilac trees in the front and back gardens of my childhood home. Co-incidentally, next door was a cherry blossom.

1 Like

We are slowly catching up. We’ve a small Laburnum that I grew from a seed.

It has flowered well this year.

My Paeony seems ready to make a good show, too.

This has appeared next to the path and I don’t know what it is. It is pretty, though, and closes when it goes into the shade.

Snow fell on the damson blossom and there will be no fruit this year; the red currants also flowered early but must have been visited by some hardy insects.

The cherry flowered later and has set a good crop this year.

The gooseberries are developing nicely, too.

The weather was rather odd at the start of the year but some plants have coped.

Raymond

10 Likes

A small laburnum? Looks quite big to me!

1 Like

Heddiw, oedd yr dydd brydd yn dda - Today, was rather a good day.

Chwilen goesdew - swollen thigh beetle.

Pryf sgorpion - scorpion fly.

Bysedd y cwn - foxgloves.

Yr ymerawdwr - emperor dragon fly.

Gwyfyn ffacbys - Burnet companion (moth).

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

You take such great photos, John! I’ve taken a few today, too, while mowing our yard. (Click each one to see the full photo.)

I believe these are called “water iris” (or something like that). My sister gave them to me years ago. They live in a place that occasionally gets swampy and apparently thrive there. Our regular bearded iris are pretty much done blooming, but these are in full flight right now.

I don’t know much about mushrooms in general (except morels), but we get a lot of these in our yard every summer. This one is rather small (about 1" across) but sometimes they grow to be at least 3" or 4" across the cap. They also sometimes come up in “fairy rings” if that helps at all. Any idea what sort they are?

Thanks!

7 Likes

Possibly London Pride (Saxifragia)? Check out those spear shaped leaves though. They look suspiciously like Japanese Knotweed, which is invasive. Hopefully not.

1 Like

I’m no expert. It’s just that my Sister has London Pride growing in a box. Also knotweed is common around Swansea and not the stuff to have spreading into your garden. Not hazardous, just that it takes over.

1 Like

Can be hazardous in a way! Legal duty to get rid of it, I think! Tiny bit can live, root and spead. May need expert help to get rid, if flame-thrower not practicable!

1 Like

The leaf shape is similar, but I don’t think what little can be seen of the stem colouration is right. I’d definitely get them checked if they’re 4 ft taller by next year, though… :wink:

2 Likes

heddiw - today.

Bronfraith ifanc gyda malwen - young song thrush with snail.

Nyth aderyn du - blackbird’s nest (and yes next time i must keep the lense cap out of the picture).

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

I am not happy. Springwatch mentioned “The Gower”, Gower folk cringe when hearing that. "The Gower Peninsula " or “Gower” please! Now I thought, rare birds? That’ll be choughs! But no! Ravens! I don’t remember us having ravens back in the day! Well the choughs get a mention and pics! But when ravens first arrived, I don’t know! Cormorants, yes, Shags, yes. Kittiwakes… yes yes yes… but choughs not ravens! Anyone know how come they are there now?

1 Like

How many times did I hear my Dad (from Swansea) say that? Too many to count.
Sue

1 Like

Oh yes! Everyone in Swansea talked of going down the Gower! But if you said it to a Gower person and they were not past caring or too polite to comment, a tired voice would say, “Gower, please, or the Gower Peninsula, not the Gower!” But on prime time UK TV, they should get it right!

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t put that clearly enough. What my Dad was always saying was exactly what you said : It is called [quote=“henddraig, post:3283, topic:971”]
"The Gower Peninsula " or “Gower”
[/quote]

He used to get quite cross when people said “The Gower”.

1 Like