What's outside

Some photos from the last two weeks in the garden. Our chicks have now all fleged - great tits - titw mawr, blue tits - titw tomos las, house sparrows - adar y to, robins - robin goch, and song thrushes - bronfraith. The chicks are now coming to the feeders with their parents and currently seem to favour the peanut - cnau mwnci feeder. We’ve unusually (because of living in quite an open area) been having regular visits from a greater spotted woodpecker - cnocell fraith fwyaf, who also loves the peanuts. Another unusual visitor has been a single grey squirrel - wiwer lwyd. We certainly have more song thrushes - bronfraith around this year and without fail they sing till after 10pm every evening. We’re still hearing the cuckoo - gog, regularly, but I haven’t caught sight of it yet.

common blue damselfly(Enallagma cyathigerum) / mursen las gyffredin?

Great tit / titw mawr feeding a chick

Robin / robin goch

Grey squirrel / wiwer lwyd

Grey heron / crëyr glas

Song thrush singing atop the fern at sunset / bronfraith a machlud haul

Robin / robin

House sparrow male feeding chicks / ceiliog aderyn y to

Bumble bee in the laburnum / gwenyn bwn yn y tresi aur

11 Likes

Mursen fawr dywyll (gwrywaidd) - (Male) beautiful demoiselle.

Some great photo’s (especially bird in flight).

Heddiw - today.

Cyw aderyn du - young blackbirds. (possibly the worst photo of the year, but a quick snap shows they are growing).

Cefyll mynd dros bont - horse crossing bridge. (it gets a rest while the barge enters lock ).

Llong camlas - Barge.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn John! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Teigr ol-adain goch (gwyfyn) - Scarlet tiger (moth).

Pys llygod - Tufted vetch.

cyw aderyn du dechrau cael plu - black bird chicks start to get feathers.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

It’s a joy to see your photos, especially seeing the development of blackbirds in nest. Our blackbirds are very noisy souls, @Deborah-SSi had a rendition on a hangout when my door was open. The baby sparrows and blue tits give continual wavering air displays. Diolch yn fawr iawn

3 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Lindys o Teigr y benfelen - Cinnabar caterpillars.

Gweirloyn cleisiog - Marbled white.

Gweirloyn y glaw - Ringlet.

Cheers J.P.

12 Likes

Wish I could send multiple likes! :heart: :heart: to all your brilliant pics!

2 Likes

I was very excited to find a spotted flycatcher - gwybedog mannog - nesting in the garden. The nest was predated (prime suspect Jac y do, possibly cnocell faith fwyaf - great spotted woodpecker or the wiwer lwyd - grey squirrel which I saw attacking a nest last year)
She & the eggs have gone. Very exposed & vulnerable spot.

Siskins - pilaon gwyrdd - at the bird feeder.

9 Likes

Sorry for quality, shaky hands, blinded by sun and hopeless with iphone, but attempt to show our wild strawberries (mefus wyllt), nicely red one side but still pale on the other. They grow over a huge rock which dictated the depth of our house/width of our back path and around which the retaining wall of back garden is built! The strawberries were here first, I believe, so are truly wild, even though not in the actual gardd wyllt.

6 Likes

And they will have much more flavour than the cultivated varieties!

Raymond

2 Likes

I beg to differ. We have thousands of wild strawberries in our yard. We also grow “tame” ones in a raised bed. The wild ones, even the big ones, taste mostly like water.

Strange, the wild ones here as @yorkshireend states, are flavor to savor.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Are you not in USA? I suspect wild strawberries there not the same. Ours are very strong flavoured. Less sweet maybe than cultivars, but I went off cultivars because they seemed so dull in comparison to ‘fraise de bois’ as they are clled in French.Wild raspberies grow near here and they are also flavourful! (I am no longer up to climbing the hill path where they grow!).

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Picellwr tinddu - black tailed skimmer.

Mursen las asur - Azure blue damselfly.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Cwlwm y cythraul - Field bindweed.

Gwibiwr mawr ar taglys y perthi - Large skipper on hedge bindweed.

Twrch daear - Mole.

I really was as close as the video looks, yet it never noticed me.

Cheers J.P.

13 Likes

That’s wonderful, @ramblingjohn ! The only moles I’ve seen were dead - I’ve never seen a live one

1 Like

Seen one scuttling away in mole hole. Just dark blurr, nothing like your brilliant pic

1 Like

[quote=“ramblingjohn, post:3338, topic:971”]
Strange, the wild ones here as @yorkshireend states, are flavor to savor.[/quote]
Yes, it is strange. I once noticed something here (quite a while back) and commented on it - that a photo of wild strawberry plants in the UK were showing white flowers while our wild strawberry plants have yellow flowers. Our cultivated strawberries, on the other hand, have white flowers. Must be something to that . . .

1 Like

I vaguely remember. Our cultivars, like the wild ones, are white. I would hazard a guess that the cultivars were bred from our wild ones and some taken to USA by settlers who wouldn’t have taken wild ones! Your yellow flowered ones are local and examples of parallel evolution? Or not if taste not at all similar. I believe big US ‘robins’ are just birds with red breasts named by settlers after the little ones back home!

1 Like

Member of the thrush family (like the redwing which has quite a bit of red on it).

Cheers J.P.