What's outside

Wow. That’s a first for me @ramblingjohn
Would never have known what that was if I’d have come across it myself.

A swift - gwennol ddu - must have come in through an open window & tried to leave through a not so open one. Quick photo as I was keen for him to be airborne again.

10 Likes

Sorry but too techinept to post a link. Looks like a good read …

3 Likes

Just to help … if you click on the little “v” arrow thing in the top right then select “copy link to tweet” then you can post it in here using “paste” thus …

But, having said that, we don’t need the link to see the book. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Much appreciated @gruntius. Diolch o galon

2 Likes

When I was cutting back some ivy this small moth made a hasty retreat. Don’t know what it is although I know a man who will @ramblingjohn

3 Likes

I like the markings on your moth. Very dainty.

Today in Abergavenny, a tree in fancy dress showcasing the bardd Aneirin Karadog.

5 Likes

First of all, I must apologise for the quality of the photo in this august company. (I haven’t taken a decent photo since I had to sell the Leica 3a inherited from my dad in the 60s - student poverty :frowning: )

However, in the attached you can just make out the Woodpecker (turns out to be Greater Spotted). What I have not been able to capture is this parent feeding its fledgling both perched on the feeder. We have now solved most of out problems with the new feeder. M has thwarted the squirrels thievery by rubbing vaseline along the length of the support pole (sneaky :smiling_imp:). The crows are still around but they can no longer dislodge the feeders. :smile:

7 Likes

Coeswyntyll - Fan foot.

Heddiw - today.

Llyshau’r milwr coch - Purple loosestrife.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Ar hyn o bryd, mae hi’n 97 gradd F = 36 gradd Celsius yma. Mae hi’n laith iawn hefyd. Bydd hi’n parhau fel hyn tan dydd Iau. Sa i’n hoffi’r tywydd 'ma - rhy boeth! :cold_sweat:

(At the moment, it is 97 degrees F = 36 degrees C here. It’s very humid as well. It will continue like this until Thursday. I don’t like this weather - too hot!)

4 Likes

Diolch @ramblingjohn

1 Like

A buzzard and red kite were attached and having a real scuffle on the towpath the other day, no notable injuries and both parted. Keep rambling John I love your photos they always make me smile

3 Likes

Tegeirian mewn hen bwll graean. An orchid in an old gravel pit.

6 Likes

The young blackbirds - Mwyalchen in the garden spend their time either seeking shade or sunbathing at the moment. I’m with the shade seekers.

7 Likes

This is what happened here yesterday. This is mynydd Cilgwyn just above the vilage of Carmel and about a mile from our house. The fire begun late afternoon/early evening and continued to rage all night. At one point the fire was a mile long and had 40 firefighters from all parts of north Wales tackling it. Fifteen houses were evacuated but no one was hurt and homes stayed undamaged. It seems to have consumed most of the land on mynydd Cilgwyn which is terribly sad for the wildlife. When I was passing to take the kids to school, all I could see was blackened earth, charred remains and stones.I hope the land regenerates quickly. :disappointed:

6 Likes

I had heard that the fires were really bad and messaged Aran earlier to check that you were all ok. There was a similar fire on the mountain near where I live a couple of years ago and the vegetation has only just started growing back now . I’m glad that no one was hurt

3 Likes

Bush fires totally freak me out! I’m so glad no one was hurt, but we’ll have to remain vigilent with the weather the way it is.

4 Likes

Wow, that must have been scary. That’s an impressive photo. So glad everyone is okay and no one lost their home.

5 Likes

Jyst eistedd yn yr ardd yn edrych ar adar yn bwyta’r cnau. Dwi’n hoffi titw tomas las. Maen nhw’n aderyn ciwt

7 Likes

Mi wnes i weld copyn false widow yn fy ngardd wythnos diwetha :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Here’s a small selection of the last week or so…

One of the recent stunning sunsets…

All the fields are now looking so very yellow because of the heat of the sun and lack of rain…

Sunset and foxgloves…

Fuchsias in bloom in the garden…

Dandelion clock…

Greater spotted woodpecker in the garden…

Greater spotted woodpecker adult and juvenile in the garden…

Fern in the garden…

Greater spotted woodpecker juvenile…

12 Likes