What's outside

Hi J.P. - you are always very clear and concise, and that 's the most important thing! Even perfect grammar is no help if things are not clear!
Hwyl, John

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr @ramblingjohn

2 Likes

Yn ôl fy llyfr i - cap tyllog twyllodrus

But blimey they are a tricky group of mushrooms to identify.
I’m seeing lots but am struggling to name them. Doesn’t detract from the fun of finding them though.

:

Boletes - capiau tyllog
(tyllog - perforated)

Somebody else has been enjoying this one too. Quite dull into you bite into it to reveal the red layer. Not much going on staining wise.

7 Likes

That’s amazing! I’ve never seen anything like that! Diolch!

2 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Troellig yr hydref - Autumn lady’s tresses.

Ysgwydd yr helygen - Blushing bracket.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

I wish I’d taken a picture of our chanterelles now, but we ate them all! :yum:

3 Likes

Long-tailed tit: lleian gynffonnir / pela cynfonnir / titw cynffon hir / pwd (he’s got all the names)

It’s lovely to see them back after the summer, even if they do refuse to let me have a lie-in!

(Apologies for the quality. It was much clearer before I uploaded it. Even greater apologies for the portrait view. Shocking!)

7 Likes

Lovely! No need to apologise for quality (although maybe you should be apologising to the tit for not letting him in, he was probably thinking "Unbelievable! does she know I can see her standing right there filming us?!)

2 Likes

Come to think of it, they do knock every day, several times a day. You might be right - they could be wondering why I haven’t answered the door yet!

2 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Creyr glas - Grey heron.

Ffrwythau draenen ddu - Black thorn fruit (Sloes).
apparently in welsh these can be called (Eithin tagu) which could translate to strangled plums.

Lindys crwbach gwelw - Pale prominent caterpillar.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Love this last post @ramblingjohn! Your week seems to have replicated mine! As we were leaving for school one morning and crossing the little stream next to the house, a magnificent Creyr Glas rose from the stream and much to the children’s delight, flew right in front of the car. Our stream has wild trout so it was probable enjoying it’s breakfast at the time!

Though we don’t have any eirin tagu/sloes here, we do have a heavily laden wild plum tree in the bottom of the garden. One heavy load has already left to be pickled by my sister and I’m considering what to do with the rest.

2 Likes

Here are some recent photos from our summer

Lindysyn gwyfyn y banadl / broom moth caterpillar

Traeth Dinas Dinlle beach

Traeth Dinas Dinlle beach

Mynydd Cilgwyn after the fires

Criafolen yn yr ardd - Rowan in the garden

Mynydd Cilgwyn after the fires

Mantell Goch - Red Admiral

10 Likes

Just one more from me today as I haven’t posted in this thread for some time.

Here’s something that provides the kids with endless entertainment, but is causing problems in the streams on the common and is beginning to encroach on the garden…

5 Likes

Mmm . . . plum jam!

4 Likes

I recommend steeping them in vodka for a few months. My favourite addition is liquorice root (or a liquorice teabag), but you can stick in what you like for extra flavouring. Should be ready in time for Christmas. :yum:

4 Likes

Ooooooh! To make plum Vodka? Do I prick them? Take the stone out? Add sugar?

Last year I made a lovely batch of blackberry gin in much the same way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prick them, leave the stone in. Add sugar. The same as you’d make sloe gin really. You’ll find a few online recipes if you google ‘damson vodka’, but I tend to use less sugar because I think too much makes it more like a liqueur and I like it like a spirit. You can add more after it’s finished if you find it’s not sweet enough but you can’t take it out!

(Btw, you can apparently make himalayan balsam jam out of the flowers. I’ve never tried it myself and I don’t like jam, but I’m told it’s like jam!)

4 Likes

If they were sloes, I would suggest ‘Sloe Gin’! Mmmm! x

2 Likes

I know it’s a bit of a messy job, @CatrinLliarJones and @Isata but you can also strain off the vodka and remove the stones from the fruit then use them in a very alcoholic trifle. I’ve only used damsons and cherries in this way, but I’m sure plums would work just as well.

1 Like

When I was doing some pruning in the garden I noticed this, which I found difficult to believe, a nesting Collared Dove - Turtur Dorchog. The seasons this year have certainly been unusual.

10 Likes