What's outside

A pic I took on Wednesday evening in Llanrwst after going for my steward training at the Eisteddfod

9 Likes

Dau gyw - Two chicks

Turtur Dorchog - Collared dove

Raymond

8 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Cap tyllog craciau coch - Red cracking bolete.

Cynffon gath - Great reedmace.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

How very odd. I have never heard of “great reedmace” but the Welsh term - “cat tail” - is what we call that plant on this side of “the pond” (in the US). Interesting.

1 Like

Tipyn o ddŵr yn yr hen ogledd y bore ‘ma!

6 Likes

An interesting picture, but I am struggling with the comment. I’ve translated it as ‘a bit of water in the old north this morning’, Is this a Welsh expression which has local significance, or is there another meaning for (g)ogledd?

2 Likes

Sorry @dougewart, I should’ve put it in English as well / elaborated…

You’re translation is good…the missing piece is probably just that I live in the North of England which is jovially referred to as the Old North sometimes - as it used to be part of the area speaking the Celtic language in the island of Britain (with plenty of local landmark names - to prove it).

Apologies

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry @rich,
If I’d known where you live I might have understood the significance as I was bought up, and still live, right on the Scottish Border - well close (400yds.). Hen Ogledd sounds good to me!

I thought I was missing some hidden Welsh meaning, not failing to notice a reference to my own background. Sorry!

Doug

2 Likes

I see :smile:

Well I think 400 yards definitely qualifies as close! You might have a nice big fence at the bottom of the garden before too long! :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Maes for last week’s Eisteddfod in Llanrwst, although I guess it’s now “What was outside” :slightly_smiling_face:

PS Spot the join! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Lovely & clever pic @johnwilliams_6
Did you take it from the bridge? when??
When I crossed that view was a swarm of people.
It was good to see you there, albeit briefly.

2 Likes

Diolch Pippa - yes, good to see you too :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, you’re right - I think it was 5pm-6pm-ish at the end of the week - Friday or Saturday - maybe there were fewer because of the weather or, if Saturday, cars were being directed that day to an alternative parking area away from the one on the other side of the bridge which had been getting too muddy so there would have been fewer people needing ot use the bridge. Anyway, it did make a nice vantage point! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

A peppered moth I came across when I went up to refit some guttering:

The camouflage would be more effective on a tree than a wall!

Raymond

6 Likes

Brychan y gerddi - Garden carpet (moths are often similar).

Cheers J.P.

A few photos from Porth y Nant below Nant Gwrtheyrn earlier in the year (the last comes with a warning!):

Bysedd y cŵn (foxglove)

Sorry, forgotten the name of this one :disappointed:

Clefryn (Sheep’s-bit) perhaps? (Jusione montana)

Briweg (Sedum) of some sort

WARNING Some may find the next one rather gruesome!

Apologies, but this detached sheep’s foot neatly displayed amidst the shingle was just too weird to leave unphotographed! Presumably separated in the sea from a sheep which had drowned and left by the tide …

5 Likes

What about Glaucium flavum, pabi corniog melyn, yellow horned poppy? That’s a lovely clear photo of it.

I agree that’s probably a sheep’s bit, though I do get them muddled with the scabiouses.

The sheep’s foot was definitely severed, was it? There isn’t a dead sheep under the shingle? Oh dear, what a nasty thought.

Sue

1 Like

Diolch, Sue - yes, I think that’s the name I’d forgotten

In fact I did gently investigate but no, it was just the foot …

2 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Gwas Neidr Brown (gwrywaidd) - (male) Brown hawker.

Mafonen - Raspberry.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Doing some weeding in the vege garden today and came across this unusual fellow. What is it? And should I keep it safe somewhere? It’s very lethargic!

6 Likes

I think it might be a hawk moth caterpillar due to the spots and the pointy looking bit at one end. If it is the elephant hawk moth then they like rosebay willow herb and fuscias apparently.

2 Likes