What's outside

The Jackdaw - Jac-y=Do is always around

but it was good to see the Song Thrush - Bronfraith back in the garden and building a nest in the ivy.

10 Likes

Ddoe - Yesterday
I noticed this moth on one of the kitchen windows, so took a picture from inside showing the underside of the insect …

and another from outside which gives the normal view of its back and wings.

I’m hoping @ramblingjohn will be able to identify it.

6 Likes

Brimstone moth - Melyn Y Drain :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch Cetra,
I can see that the colour gives it away.

2 Likes

In the park this frosty morning …

Briallen Fair / Cowslip

9 Likes

Since the lockdown I’ve been trying to identify the plants in Bute Park using a kids book about wild flowers from 1983 that I found in a charity shop. It’s actually going really well and I hope to post here to try and make the names stick! I forgot to take pictures, but I think this is one of Blodyn y Neidr / Red Champion or Red Catchfly:

I wonder if the Welsh name relates to the fact this plant may have been used to treat snake bites (according to wiki)?

7 Likes

Thanks Martin the posts on this thread have certainly increased and reinforced my vocabulary.

2 Likes

Garlleg y Berth / enw Sais yw Garlic Mustard neu Jack by the Hedge / Lladin yw Alliaria petiolata.

Mae planhygion ma yn fwytadwy, medden nhw - ond, sai’n ei hoffi i fod yn onest. Mae’n blasu fel paracetomol heblaw blasu bach o garlleg i fi! They say this plant is edible, but I do not like it to be honest. It tastes like paracetomol except for a small garlic taste to me!

6 Likes

Llwynog yn fy nghardd bore 'ma :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Castanewydden y meirch - Horse chestnut.

Lyndis gwyfyn teigr ol-adain goch - caterpillar of scarlet tiger moth.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

I am so glad this thread was mentioned in the newsletter. I love it!

5 Likes

Gorthyfail / enw Sais yw Cow Parsley / Lladin yw Anthriscus sylvestris.

6 Likes

Ddoe - Yesterday

Great Tit - Titw Mawr

10 Likes

Gwlanblu / Enw Sais yw Dandelion Seeds (I think!)

5 Likes

Neithiwr - Last night on the river bank:

White Deadnettle - Marddanhadlen Wen, with Cleavers (known locally as Sticky Willy) - Gwylydd y Perthi and the large leaves and pink flowers of Butterbur - Dail Tryfon.

Greater Stitchwort - Bara Can a Llaeth which, if I’ve learned any Welsh, is White Bread and Milk. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

6 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Mulfran ar camlas - Cormorant on canal.

Rosyn - Rose.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

Neithiwr - Last night on the river bank …

Broom - Banadl, with Elder - Ysgawen at the bottom right, by the old fence post, and Hawthorn - Draenen Wen on the upper right.

5 Likes

Neithiwr ar lan yr afon - Last night on the river bank

Chaffinch - Ji-binc
ac yn fy ngardd
Robin Robin - Robin Goch

ond faint o frogaod? - but how many frogs?

9 Likes

Heddiw - Today. copyn alert added.

Dant y llew - dandelions.

Copyn hela - Nursery web spider.

Tarianbryf - sheild bug.

Mursen fawr dywyll - Beautiful demoiselle damselfly.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

Why has it taken me so long to look at this thread, I love it. Trying to get words to stick can be tricky though. I need to try more. Diolch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes