What's outside

Mynydd yr Olewydd (Mount of Olives), Jeriwsalem, from our balcony this evening. The tower is that of the Russian Orthodox Church of the Ascension; marking the spot where, according to the Orthodox tradition, Jesus ascended to Heaven 40 days after his resurrection (perhaps in order to learn Welsh from the angels?).

11 Likes

Eira!

14 Likes

Not getting about for much interesting photography these days but still trying.

ffwng clust tyfu ar arwydd Chinese - jews ear fungus growing on Chinese sign
(a variation on take away!).

Eirlys - snow drops (spring approaches).

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Well spotted, that ffwng clust, J.P.! :slightly_smiling_face:
Set me wondering whether it was already growing in the wood/plywood when the sign was made or just deterioration of the paint had allowed the spores to establish themselves - no way of knowing, I guess …

1 Like

Could they have been using it as an ingredient and had some spores on their hands when they made the sign? After all, it is edible.
Sue

3 Likes

Now there’s an idea! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Llyffantod yn Rhydychen:
Making Tadpoles by Richard, on Flickr

7 Likes

Crocws or the rather lovely name Canhwyllau Mair, which refers to its candle like appearance.

10 Likes

Yn yr ardd - Ysgwydd Amryliw neu Ysgwydd Cynffon Twrci.

9 Likes

That’s beautiful! But why is it “shoulder”? (colorful shoulder? turkey-tail shoulder?) I’m sure I’m missing some nuance, but please help me out.

2 Likes

Because although ysgwydd is ‘shoulder’, in an architectural sense it also means ‘bracket’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I couldn’t make sense of it, but ‘bracket’ I am familiar with. Thanks again!

1 Like

Heddiw - Today.

Blodau draenen ddu - Black thorn flower.

Cennin Pedr - Dafodil.

Cheers J.P.

13 Likes

sure brighten up the countyside and the gardens. Spring at last

1 Like

Cennin Pedr in the garden…

10 Likes

Catrin - I’ll see your cenin pedr and raise you a few!

9 Likes

First water vole of the season! Llygoden bengron y dẃr :slight_smile: And one of them is smiling nearly as much as I was!! :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Mae’r gwanwyn wedi dechrau - spring has started.
Heddiw - today.

Mantell paun - peacock.

Cheers J.P.

16 Likes

Balm i’r llygad! A sight for sore eyes!

2 Likes

Yn yr tŷ gwydr - ffa, letys, pys a moron.

10 Likes