What's outside

A jay (sgrech y coed - screech of the woods!) flew alongside me for maybe fifty metres on my drive to work this morning. Magical!

What an excellent onomatopoeic Welsh name :smile:
We often see and hear Jay’s in the woods round YM. I love the colourful streak as they fly past. You could almost name a baseball team after them :wink:

JI BINC: chaffinch
I’ve seen a number of shops - clothes and a café - with this name in Wales: don’t know if this bird has any significance in Wales…Great name though and it’s great to say.

3 Likes

Good addition Kim,
i didn’t find what i was looking for today but there is always something to see (and i didn’t get wet).

Cyrn melyn

Calocera viscosa.
Yellow stags horn - saesneg.
in a few days this will develop nicely.
cheers J.P.

1 Like

Cloch ddanheddog.

Panaeolus sphinctrinus.

tail buwch neu tail gwartheg - cow dung.

Cloch ddanheddog - toothed bell, refers to the veil remnants which hang from the outer rim of the cap, not sure they are to clear in the images.
The name in English “mottlegill” refers to the uneven ripening of spores on the gills
which take on a mottled look.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Cwtiar.

Coot.

Talcen - forehead.
pig - beak. (also spout).
Adain - wing.
Coes - leg.
Traed - feet.
Llygaid - eyes.
Plu - feathers.
Corff - body.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Bonedau tylwyth teg.

Fairies bonnets.

2 pence piece for scale.
Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Well, something a little different.

Maybe a dual language sign is not too unusual, but this was at the rail crossing in Thatcham
Berkshire, are these creeping across the country to raise language interest?

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Soon now John! So soon…

And then, the world…

7 Likes

Perhaps a range of garden gate signs in the style of

Byddwch yn ofalus o’r gwningen

might be a good idea.
Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I got a book by Dewi Prysor called Crawia

Crawia’s my favourite Welsh book, Maynard: I’m constantly mining it. It’s been a gold mine for tuning my ear to, the language I hear on the streets of Gwynedd and for not being too self-conscious how I use it in the wild. It’s been a great belly laugh as I decipher the local dialect…larff garantîd

Coden fwg.

Lycoperdon perlatum.

ffwng braidd yn cyffredin mewn coedtir collddail.
fungus quiet common in deciduous woodland.

They emerge really pretty but soon loose colour and decoration
to become rather bland brown puff balls on a stem.
Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I have read too other books too Madarch, and Brithyll. (not for the faint hearted) and have to read Lladd Duw and Cig a Waed ( got them but need to get stuck into reading them) .

We must be his biggest fans in England I’ve got them all too…

Bulgaria inquinans

Yn Sasneg, mae rhai pobl yn galw ffwng hwn: botymau esgobion - Bishops buttons.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Celynnen.

Holly.

cyfarwydd - familiar
coetir - woodland
perthi - hedges
bytholwyrdd - evergreen
ymylon pigog - prickly edges
meddal - soft
gwrywaidd - male
benywaidd - female
aeron coch - red berries.

Awful pronunciation of aeron (for some reason i had o at the beginning in my head, new day new mistake)!
Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Here’s one for the mycologists. These fungi have appeared in my garden on a square of well rotted wood chippings (mostly Cypress). I include a closeup with one fungus turned over as well as the general configuration. I’d appreciate identification in Welsh or Latin (even English) :smile:

2 Likes

Firstly, excellent photo’s with one upside down it narrows the possibilities greatly,
as i can see the fungi have gills (not all do) and the gills are slightly attached to the stem,
(many are not), the stem looks narrow and fibrous, not thick or brittle and no stump at the base.

So most likely Tubaria furfuracea (i know of no name in English or Welsh).
there a couple of close relatives that need microscope to check spore size
for difference but the above is most common.
Many thanks for your input.

Cheers J.P.

Gwyach fawr gopog.

Great crested grebe.
These are really difficult to get near so distant photo was the best i could get.

Now for ID mystery (too me).

Is it a pair or adult and young i don’t know but i intend to find out.
cheers J.P.

Good call J.P. especially since I Googled your suggestion and found it’s

Solitary to gregarious on woody debris, e.g., sticks, bark, wood chips, sawdust etc.; fruiting from early fall to late winter.

The page http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Tubaria_furfuracea.html gives it the name “California Fungi”.

Diolch :smile: