What's outside

Heddiw- today.

Macrotyphula fistulosa (broad leaf woodland with just leaf litter on the surface seems best place to see these, they can look like just some dead grass stems).

Bolbitius vitellinus (favour old grass land. they start very bright yellow but will open and become more faded by the end of the day).
drw geni, oedd 'na ddau ffwng heb enw cymraeg eto - sorry that was two fungi without a welsh name again.

yr derwen 311016 (starting to look a bit autumnal).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

A few photos taken last week in the gardens at Plas Tan Y Bwlch

Dwy fath o gen (lichen)

Cen neu ffwng? Interesting needle-like projections from the underside

I just liked the pattern formed by these mosses …

… and a very inviting cushion of moss around this rhododendron trunk (not the rampant R.ponticum, or ‘ruddydendron’ as Twm Elias calls them!)

3 Likes

Cen ci - dog lichen (the white downward projections are likened to dog teeth, hence the name).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Ddoe - Nos Galan Gaeaf - Halloween

Ffwng i godi ofn? Scary fungus?

Magpie Ink Cap - Cap Inc Y Pioden (hwyrach - guessing at a Welsh name)

3 Likes

Looks horrendously poisonous - and hallucinogenic! Probably innocent really!??

Interesting shiny something on my lunchtime escape work walk yesterday -

The photo doesn’t capture how silvery shiny they were.

Had opened up today

Discovered in the new build housing estate next door has left a little patch of trees in the middle. Good escape!

3 Likes

I think you are correct, and this is one which is described as definitely do not eat.

These look big enough to be cap inc cyffredin - common ink cap, there is a species about half this size that is covered in little pieces that sparkle in the light and known as mica caps, so i understand how silvery shiny they were even though a photo does not capture that well.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

This time photos from the woods behind Plas Tan Y Bwlch

Mae’n edrych fel dwy fath o mwsogl (moss) - but maybe it’s a single species and the dark upright parts are related to reproduction?

The same ffwng at different scales - rather handsome in a sinister sort of way!

Upper and undersides of the same group of ffwng - the yellow colour of the tops is unfortunately washed out in the photo

3 Likes

Hi, dim camera gyda fi ond heddiw dwi’n wedi gweld yn yr coedwig ffwng coch bach. (They were small like upturned mushrooms without the stalk and the inside of the cup was bright crimson-- would anyone have any idea what they were?)

2 Likes

Scarlet elf cups (did they look like this, these will start appearing now but will be more common in early part of new year).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Some more photos from last week

Rhyw cen o’r mynyddoedd (some lichen from the mountains) - above Dyffryn Ardudwy (I’d like to be able to say my finger tip is there for scale but I’m afraid it wasn’t!)

Cen forming a nice pattern am cerrig ar wal

Mwsoglau a rhedyn - mosses and a fern

3 Likes

Such honesty! I’d have been tempted just not to mention it and let us form our own conclusions!!

1 Like

Yes it was those exactly. Diolch

2 Likes

I have been giving this one some thought and suspect it is Hymenochaete rubiginosa but a photo of the underside would confirm (medium brown surface with very small pores, often found on old oak).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

[quote=“ramblingjohn, post:1999, topic:971”]
I have been giving this one some thought and suspect it is Hymenochaete rubiginosa but a photo of the underside would confirm
[/quote]Thanks, JP, as always - also a good reminder to remember to always get a photo of the underside if poss! Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Lift an old piece of wood and syndod iawn - nice surprise.

Madfall ddwr gribog - great crested newt.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

A few miniature ffwng from a week or so ago - some from the Plas Tan y Bwlch crwydro from Rhoslefain, nr Tywyn, NW to the hills above Mawddach estuary and some from the following day’s crywdro from Dolbenmaen over to Beddgelert

Some type of dung mushroom(?)

It was suggested that this was one of the ‘magic mushrooms’, identified by the crooked stem - the hallucinogenic properties and its use by ‘witches’ supposedly led to the tales of them being able to fly (the witches not the mushrooms!) - maybe the crookedness of the stem was for them a sign of magical properties?

This too was identified but I’m afraid I’ve forgotten now what was the name - lesson to me to take a notebook next time!

Another dung mushroom - perhaps a different species from the first photo or maybe just a bit older?

3 Likes

After the ffwng bach iawn some ffwng melyn from the same ramble:

Luckily I remembered to take a photo of the underside as well as the top of this one

Underside and tops of others from the same ‘clump’

Not sure if this is the same as the first but it seems to be more pointed - no photo of the underside unfortunately

3 Likes

I adore your endangered and protected newt!

2 Likes

They both look like Psilocybe semilanceata - aka the liberty cap.

Possibly Stropharia semiglobata - dung round head.

Notice you can see the gill attachments through the semi-transparent cap,
i would think a member of the Mycena family.

Two wax caps (there are at least four species that are bright yellow).

Not wax caps, the gills are closer spacing and the stem is to thick, but i’m lost for a suggestion at the moment.

your softer side showing through again :blush:

Cheers J.P.

1 Like