When not to plod on?

I keep on with questions - hope it’s no too annoying. So , I’m up to challenge 16 but there’s a big chunk not in my long term memory; I cannot remember the
He told me that , she said that , among others. Should I slog on or go back over old challenges to refresh / show myself I’ve retained something?

1 Like

definitely not annoying gives people stuff to do one the forum :smile:

this is just an idea so try and see how it goes - it may not work but I don’t think it’ll harm. Try pushing on to multiples of 5 (simply because that matches the listening exercises). So have a go at pushing on to 20. If you get to 20 and it’s not worked, try going back to 15. It may sound like a lot but you won’t need the emergency services if you get stuck, so whats the worst that can happen?? :smile:

I hope it helps, please let me know what you do, either way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love it.

@vickyandrew I can’t remember “He told me” and “She said” either. I think it comes of learning several (4?) kinds of past tense at the same time. I tend to flail around trying “oedd?”, “wnes?” until Cat comes in with “ddwedodd”. Oh the joy when I realise that it would be appropriate to use “wedi” in a response. I am doing what Anthony said and pushing on. I trust that it will all be OK in the end.

2 Likes

They are tricky but not the end of the world if you get mixed up in a real conversation. Probably more of an issue to us when we do the lessons.

Don’t worry is always the key :smile:

2 Likes

Your questions are EXTREMELY valuable to other people who have the same questions but aren’t confident enough to ask them on the forum… :star: :star2:

Long term memory isn’t an on/off switch - so all we’re seeing here is that some of the (overly complicated) stuff from about 13/14 hasn’t bedded in yet - don’t worry about it, push on, and if by the end of Level 1 you still feel that you’ve got a large blank area there, revisit 13 (maybe 12 too) and see if that helps - but don’t feel you need to ‘master’ it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your question certainly helped me, @vickyandrew Thank you!

4 Likes

Thank you again Aran! It’s tricky doing this in England when I want to be in Dolgellau! I AM going to move there one day, but in the meantime want to get confident enough to SSIW in the ships during our annual Easter visit! I just want to know I’m not , well, doing it wrong!

1 Like

You’re absolutely not, so keep going…:slight_smile:

And huge congratulations on using it in the shops in Dolgellau - that is a very brave step, and the deep end of the pool - but it will in due course give you a huge advantage… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As above, I find pushing on through the pain. Then, after a while if you go back to the original problem I tend to find I’ve somehow picked up at least most of what I was stuck on.
Don’t let it be a block, merely a speed bump :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I haven’t yet - it’s my to do for Easter!

1 Like

Vicky I had the exact same issue of whether to just plough on through when getting stuck on various tenses and this was one of them, along with I will etc

What I did was do each lesson 2 times at least, then move on. Since I finished the first challenge (South) , and the first lesson in the old course doing it this way, I am just going back over the course material again and it’s amazing how much more fluent it feels and I can remember it better. Not always though of course, there’s always something that trips me up.

So yes, I would say just keep going then go back and I’m sure you will find you can do it far easier which then makes you feel good, and encourages you to continue with the course.

I am also planning a move to Wales, which is sadly now on hold but because I actually love learning Welsh (thanks to SSIW), I want to become fluent in it so when the time comes to be there I’ll slot in like a local :slight_smile: (Here’s hoping)

1 Like

That lesson hung me up as well. After tearing my hair out for a while, my solution was to switch to Course 1, which was where I had actually started. I know the Courses are going to be phased out eventually, but I find switching back and forth between Courses and Levels to be really helpful. When you switch, you already know some of the new words, so it isn’t quite so overwhelming. And then when you switch back, you’re amazed at how much you’ve learned that seemed impossible the first time around.

2 Likes

Hi - First post on the forum and really enjoying SSIW. Just wondering what you meant when you said “the courses are going to be phased out eventually”. My heart sank as I’m really enjoying SSIW and just started the 2nd challenge on course 1.
Thanks.

I’m no expert and might be wrong, but I’m distinguishing here between Courses 1-3 and Levels 1-3, both currently available on the website. The Levels are more recent, new and improved, covering somewhat the same material but in a different pattern. I thought I read that eventually–not right away-- the Levels will replace the Courses. So don’t worry! And if I misunderstood, I hope someone will correct me. I don’t wish to spread misinformation.

1 Like

Okay thanks. So a replacement, or adjustment to how things are presented as opposed to SSIW being no longer available. I apologize if I misinterpreted what you were saying. Cheers!

1 Like

Don’t worry, SSiW isn’t going anywhere (except forwards) :smile:

2 Likes

Yup, as Violet says - just that we’ll be tucking the older material away, and pointing new learners towards the new material… :slight_smile:

But we won’t actually be deleting anything…:wink:

2 Likes