Where does one just post to say hello and introduce oneself on this forum?

Where does one just post to say hello and introduce oneself on this forum? I am finding it so very confusing!! Not the Welsh, but how to use the forum and the difference between the lessons sent in the emails and the course I’ve subscribed to on the app? Sorry if this is the wrong place or sounds like a stupid question but I have zero experience of forums, and v limited tech skills but would really like to connect with some fellow Welsh learners.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome, @housewife
There is a thread for people to put their first question or remark, but it can be hard to find, so this will do very nicely.
The forum is vast and has posts dating back for many years, so it can be confusing even to the old hands. I have a few threads that I look at regularly - ones relating to my area or to my interests, and also “Tiny questions with quick answers” which often answers the questions I didn’t know I had.
I am sure that someone will turn up to explain about e-mails and apps, but I date from the days before they started, so I don’t know too much about them. There is a core content of “challenges” in three levels, and everything else is based on those. To the best of my knowledge, the courses with e-mails lead you through the challenges and give extra exercises. The app is another way of getting the challenges if you prefer to use a phone rather than a desktop/laptop.
Anyway, enjoy what is available. I did.
When you feel ready to talk, even at the most basic level, there is Slack, where you can talk online to people. I think that your course will have dedicated sessions. There are also open sessions for people who are not doing set courses too.
Hwyl fawr!
Sue

2 Likes

Croeso housewife!

Yes, the forum is rather a big beast these days, but there is a ‘basic guide’ on the way for anyone less familiar with how it works - I’m not entirely sure if it’s ready yet or where to find it if it is, so I’m tagging @Deborah-SSi who should be able to help.

1 Like

@housewife Croeso!

There is this User Guide which may be of use, though it may contain more information than you need right now. Just look for what you’re trying to do and see if that helps.

The SaySomethingin Forum User Guide.pdf (555.4 KB)

Saying ‘Hello’ is fine here, or in the General section. A lot of people come here through the 1 Sentence a Day taster course, so they tend to post in Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you? thread to start off. You’re welcome to introduce yourself there as well.

The app doesn’t really contain a course as such, but gives you easy access to the audio files. The course that comes to you in weekly emails is based on those audio files, but gives you extra tasks as well as access to the SSiW 6/6 Support Slack workspace. That’s the best place to get to know other course participants and to join in the online group sessions that are available there. You should have received an email inviting you to join the Slack group. If you don’t see it, check your Spam folder.

Have you already done a few of the audio challenges? You can always ask to be moved on a little in the course if you have by emailing admin@saysomethingin.com or you can just let me know here :slight_smile: As it stands, you’re due to start Challenge 1 on Monday.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for responding. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner as I was away for the weekend.

I think one of the problems was with me getting the taster course and level 1 course confused and not really understanding the app.

I’ve already completed challenge 3 via the app and am really enjoying it so far, but haven’t followed the daily taster email lessons. So, yes it might be nice to move on a bit if possible.

I’ve decided to start learning Welsh again after a gap of more than 20 years. At that time, I went to classes 2x per week for around 3 years, completed the intermediate level, took the exam and had just started the Uwch course when a major life event happened.

I live in west wales, surrounded by Welsh speakers, so I’m v lucky really. Due to a recent mixup in dates, I spent a weekend away with a group of 1st language speakers and totally loved it. Bits of Welsh came back into my rusty brain and I was surprised by how much I understood, so I’ve decided to keep going

I’ve received the invite to the group, so will follow up from there today, and hopefully will find my way around the forum

Diolch yn fawr

Coffion Cynnes

3 Likes

That’s excellent @housewife! I’m sure you’ll pick it up again really quickly.

1 Like

Hi! You’re not alone in terms of forum confusion. Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg am tua mis and this is my first post! Diolch for expressing similar sentiments and best wishes in learning Welsh :slight_smile:

Thank you @drew-3, and sorry for the late reply.
I hope I can find my way round :-?
I am going on a residential course at Nant Gwrtheyrn later this year, so this course is really helping me to prep for that and feel a bit more confident.
Wishing all the best with your own Welsh learning and speaking.