Where?

I am on level 2, challenge 24. At 20:00 the sentence is:

I’d tell you where we want to go, if I could.

My understanding of the word “where” is: Ble

But in the sentence is is pronounced “Lle” WHY?

Buthaneen dwade oorthatee lle ineen moin mind, 'saneen gallee (to put it phonetically.)
I would have said; Ble ineen moin mind

1 Like

Lle is a more colloquial word for ‘where’, but ble isn’t wrong - SSiW tries to expose you to all the variants you are likely to hear, so that’s why it’s in there.

2 Likes

Are you on the Northern dialect? I seem to recall that for the word “where”, lle is used in the N Challenges, and Ble for S.

2 Likes

I think I’m correct in saying that Ble=lle but lle doesn’t always = ble.

So we can use lle/ble to mean “where”, but lle also means “place” (which is similar but not quite the same).

I can’t think of a really good example, but “lle diogel” means “a safe place”. I don’t think the Gogs say “ble diogel” in this context, do they?

I’m sure I know some more useful ones, but I can’t think of one right now.

1 Like

“Lle parcio” is the one I remember most from Sir Benfro in the Summer!

1 Like

Ble? = where? in a question. It comes originally from pa lle? - which place?.

In a statement (as opposed to a question), and even in a question if you’re north of Aberystwyth, lle = where.

So it’s all about whether a question is being asked of not, in the south at least.

6 Likes

I should have mentioned I am doing southern welsh.

I was going to suggest that lle is used in the middle of (southern) sentences and ble at the beginning - but then I wasn’t sure if this was correct.

Dw i’n mynd i dre, ble dylwn i dalu fy miliau

That’s correct as a statement rather than a question, isn’t it?

Simple solution is to not worry too much about it, David :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are a few places in the southern course where ‘lle’ pops in instead of ‘ble’, and from memory they tend to be in the middle of sentences, but if you stick with ‘ble’ you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Answering my own question: the Gogs don’t say ble.

Dimwit.