Why are you learning Welsh?

I have indeed heard of Lammas. There seems to be a lot of this communal living/sustainable farming going on in this region.

That sounds like an absolutely fantastic way to learn Welsh. workaway.info is another good alternative/addition to WWOOF. Volunteers still pay, but hosts do not.

What type of farming are you planning?

I’m loving reading about what has driven other people to learn Welsh! So many people, so many reasons.

I have always been fascinated by all things Welsh. The two branches of my family tree are Welsh and Eastern European (Ashkenazic) Jewish. Both sides of my family have very deep roots and a love for our history and ancestry. A few years ago it occurred to me that both languages of my ancestors (Welsh and Yiddish) were “endangered,” and I decided I was going to learn both. I have a cousin in Liverpool who is a native Welsh speaker - she grew up in Nefyn, Gwynedd where that part of the tree lived for generations, but no longer. I think she, her husband, and daughter may be the last in my family who speak Welsh. All of my great grand-grandparents came to America late 19th to early 20th century. Anyhow, as for those endangered languages, one has made/is making a beautiful comeback and the other is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

For the most part I want to learn the language and spend some quality time in Wales when my youngest graduates high school here in Colorado. My husband and I are making some grand plans. I would love to get my kids to all move there but I’m not sure they’ll agree. :frowning: so we shall see. And the part that’s left is as some kind of language warrior for the ones that no longer exist, or soon won’t.

4 Likes

That’s the only kind of plans worth making…:wink:

2 Likes

I nearly did not answer this. But it occurs to me that it may fill in a few gaps for the vast majority of you who are younger than me.
I wanted to do my tiny bit towards saving the language! A forlorn hope perhaps, at the time. I don’t think I expected to have any effect, but I was damned if I would let it go gently into that good night. So, all by myself, living in England, I looked and found ‘Teach yourself Welsh’. No tapes or anything. Tape recorders were, as far as I knew, great big reel to reel devices which cost a LOT! It was very geared up to literature, which was fine, as I wanted to understand ‘Y Gododdin’ and any other poetry I could find. I was a starry-eyed romantic about my poor beleaguered country.
When did Saunders Lewis first broadcast Fate of the Language? I thought after this, but I finally read a translation recently and it mirrors my thinking so closely that I think I must have heard it reported! No Radio Cymru. No S4C. The first ever Welsh Medium secondary school did not open until I was nearly 16, and it was up north! So I ploughed my lonely furrow learning literary Welsh and hoping my rendering of the ‘pronunciation guide’ was not too far out! Now I have terrible trouble with spelling and I never had a broad, useful vocabulary.
Since then, I have tried many times to improve, add to, relearn and practice my Welsh. I have admitted elsewhere in this Forum that my motive in trying SSiW was to help deal with the hiraeth which came with realising that failing health meant that my chances of ever leaving Scotland and getting back to Wales, even for a holiday, were low.
Recently, I have realised that this means I am back to reading being more important than speaking or even hearing, as my ears lose acuity. So I am spending more time on Duolingo, broadband service permitting, and less on SSiW.
I know there is at least one person on here who was at Uni in the 50s, so is older than me, but I may well be the one who started learning longest ago. I hope this is interesting to the rest of you and I apologise for rabbiting on too long! Oh, I must add that SSiW was a revelation! Learning in the way that comes naturally! It was actually fun and I actually learned some very useful vocabulary and usage and avoided fretting about mutations!

2 Likes