Why are you learning Welsh?

ó - right?

Now Press ALT-GR (the right alt) then holding it press number 9 on the keyboard (not nummerical part of it) then cut loose everything (stop pressing all) and type letter o as you usually would and you got it.

If you look at some keys carefully you’ll see that some of them holds 3 signs. Take numbers for example. You have number, upon it’s the sign you get when you press SHIFT and on the right you have the sign you get when you press and hold ALT-GR (right ALT). At some signs you get them immediatelly and some you have to press a letter you need to appear the sign on.

Alternative:

• meni start
  • run
  • put into the box text charmap and hit ENTER.
  • when window with characters appear you search for the character you want and hit copy and paste it into the text.

There are more alternatives, but I have no time right now to explain them. Hope this one helps a bit.

1 Like

I would love to live in Ynys Môn (or any part of Wales for that matter!) eventually. For the foreseeable future though, I look forward to at least taking regular holidays there!

1 Like

On my US PC laptop without a numerical pad, I am able to insert accented characters by using Alt+Fn+[the desired alternative numbers toward the right edge of qwerty keyboard.] For instance, to insert an ô whilst on my laptop, I press and hold the Alt and Fn keys while typing “J U 7” then lift. Whereas on my standard keyboard, I press and hold the Alt key and type 147 before lifting. Hope this helps!

ô

ALT-GR (right ALT) +3 and then regular o will do the trick (doing as I’ve described in previous post).

(Accents, etc)

For Windows, I can also recommend “To Bach” from these people:

http://www.interceptorsolutions.com

(When I last looked a few months ago, their website seemed to have gone AWOL, but it seems to be back now).

Go to “products”, then “To Bach”, then “download”. There is also some documentation.

It also has some accents, etc, for non-Welsh languages as well.

2 Likes

@MatthewJWilliams , now that it is available internationally, you might like to check out the S4C “soap” which is made and set on Ynys Môn (in Menai Bridge):

Go to the S4C International page:

http://www.s4c.cymru/en/international

then look for “Rownd a Rownd”, fel 'na:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=529478544

I’m not sure if the accent/dialect is authentically Ynys Môn, but it’s authentically Gog, although they do have some token southern speaking characters :slight_smile: (e.g. Cathrin, David, and Llio).

Lots of other good programmes to choose from there of course.

Pob hwyl :slight_smile:

Edit: p.s. and next time you visit Ynys Môn, you can visit the set in Menai Bridge, as it’s located in one of the main streets! If you haven’t found it on Google maps by then, PM me, or post here nearer the time, and I can probably point you in the right direction. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch @mikeellwood! I actually stumbled upon the S4C site recently and watched a couple episodes of Rownd a Rownd and Dim Ond Y Gwir (not that I understood more than a few words, but that will soon change I’m sure! :wink:) Visiting the set in Menai Bridge has been placed on my itinerary for next visit.

1 Like

testing!!
o
No, so
o
I think at this point I will give up!! Somethings I can manage without learning at my age!!
To whom it may concern, I will not put any accents in postings unless quoting yours!!!

2 Likes

(accents, etc.)
The other way, if you don’t use them often, is to go to http://welsh.typeit.org/ - you can type in the character with an accent you want (or the whole word using that character) using the special keys above the text box to get the right ones, then copy and paste where you want to use it. Since it is simply “copy and paste” (once you get what you want there) it is almost foolproof!

4 Likes

Môn Oh wow!!! Diolch yn Fawr Sionned!!
Bendegedig! What a useful site!!!

2 Likes

What is S4C?

1 Like

The welsh TV channel.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

UK only here
and Internatonal here

3 Likes

I love the sound of the language and am impressed at the level of support Welsh has in Wales. I also like Celtic culture very much and would like to do my small part to help keep this beautiful language alive. It’s amazing Welsh is still spoken, in spite of the English-language onslaught.

5 Likes

I remember answering this question a while ago, but it may have been on the earlier version of this forum or on another Welsh forum entirely so just in case…

I was a huge fan of Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising as a kid. When I first read the books I ignored the odd words at the end of the poem, but when I re-read the books as an adult they caught my eye.

It wasn’t until I re-read The Grey King…specifically the part where one character explains to another how to pronounce several Welsh words…that I Googled “Welsh Language” and fell down a rabbit hole of results. I landed at this site, did the first six languages for the heck of it, and just kept going.

A lot of my current obsessions, er, hobbies have started this way…I’m currently studying quantum mechanics thanks to a Charles Stross book…but I’ll definitely be keeping up with the languages as much as I possibly can. After I’m relatively comfortable with Welsh I intend to tackle Russian or Spanish.

4 Likes

“After I’m relatively comfortable with Welsh I intend to tackle Russian or Spanish.”

It’s the International Day of the Russian language today - and learning Russian stretches the mind wonderfully,

Justin

2 Likes

For myself I would say that more than the interest and uses of the study of Welsh as an adminicle of English philology, more than the practical linguist’s desire to acquire a knowledge of Welsh for the enlargement of his experience, more even than the interest and worth of the literature, older and newer, that is preserved in it, these two things seem important: Welsh is of this soil, this island, the senior language of the men of Britain; and Welsh is beautiful

J.R.R. Tolkien

6 Likes

Nope. As far as I’ve heard it’s International day of the mother language what means everyone celebrates their own mother tongue. Well that’s what I’ve heard but didn’t go (I wanted to write “mynd” :slight_smile: ) to check what’s real thing about that though.

1 Like

Professor (this is how Russian fans call J.R.R.Tolkien, affectionately) was exceptionally good with words and this is one of my favourite quotations.

@tatjana
Well, I’ve heard from a colleague it was an International day of the Russian language today and it was me who said it to Justin, so if he’s wrong it’s my fault.

1 Like

Well, I’ve heard on one of the Slovenian radio something like this (in Slovene of course): “It’s International mother’s language day today so at least today try to use your language properly and as much as you can.” And here’s the article from wikipedia:

Read the history though. I was actually surprised why UNESCO proclaimed this day to be International Mother’s Language day.

So each and every our Mother’s language has celebration today so we both are right. This day was as much Russian Language Day as it is International. No guilt on either side.

3 Likes