Why did you decide to try SSiW?

Well, that means you’ve done brilliantly - congratulations! Don’t slow down too much - that’s probably just the urge to get too close to perfection - you’ll be better off pressing on as far as you can bear to go without repetition and then coming back later on… :slight_smile:

And thank you very much for your very kind words - great that you’ve seen how wonderful the community is… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh, that’s a new one! That interview was worth doing, then… :slight_smile: I’ll look forward to hearing how the rest of the course works out for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - my family were firm chapel attendees and my relative that passed away was a deacon there; I believe at the chapel in Cymbrla that burned down. My family were from Gendros and Forest Fach although my uncle moved out to Gower (Newton) he taught at the school in Oystermouth. I spent many happy summers there.

Thanks - I won’t. I did take the advice to not try for perfection and do challemges 15-20 without repeating and (despite thinking I’d never remember anything) it did work - lots seemed to lodge somewhere in my brain and just come out - provided I don’t think too hard!
The slowing down comes from a combination of passing years and early starts taking my daughter swimming rather than striving for perfection! Maybe I just need an extra cuppa in the morning before I start!

2 Likes

Diolch!

@Aran - I’d say that it was useful! :slight_smile: Also, I would love to know if you still conduct Google Hangouts or if you know of any Cymraeg learning hangouts I could join?

Thanks for leading this community.

1 Like

The English speaking side of Gower!

Yes - although there were a few places down in Oystermouth I recall hearing Cymraeg spoken.

Oh, I am sure more and more, people move, children move, time passes and I hope more Cymraeg will spread where for so long it was not!!! :sunny:

Haven’t done any Hangouts for a while, and the ‘to do’ list looks pretty busy for the start of 2017 - although it’s something I think it would be good if we could manage to get up and running again at some point… I’m afraid I don’t know of any other regular ones - apart from some of the meetups that people in the community do online - have a look in the weekly email for those :slight_smile:

Put your name down for this, it looks promising.

3 Likes

I live very far away (in Belarus) so when I started learning I had no one who could tell me which Welsh is really spoken nowadays. I wanted to do a course in Modern Welsh and later turn to the Middle Welsh, which I need to study some historical and literary documents. I found a book and learned the “bod” forms by heart and was feeling very proud of myself, and was already forming my first sentences, when I found another book and all the “bod” forms were looking different (shortened). I was feeling a bit lost so I decided to go check in a third book. And they looked different again, so I sat down and cried:) Then, after I calmed down a bit, I understood that what I need is a good very recent colloquial course, with lots of audio and possibly a community that would help me clarify the doubts that would certainly arise along the way. So, I found SSIW and it gave me all I wanted and more because even after half a year of not speaking it at all (because of some personal difficulties, not because of a lack of desire - I’m still very much in love with the language), I still can understand the articles on BBC Cymru Fyw and I still can speak a bit, and the only skill that has suffered in these months is my listening skill, which is generally my weakest point in all the languages I speak.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for that, Stella, it’s really helpful… :star2:

I think it’s inevitably the toughest piece of the jigsaw, because you just can’t crack it without the right levels of exposure, and getting that exposure is really difficult - it takes a LOT of time, and you have to be happy with a LOT of not understanding. I hope our next big project after Level 3 will help make a difference… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Totally agree. I can think of lots to say (mostly ysbwriel) but conversations are hard when words and phrases are lost.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to it very much. It’s very hard to find some comprehensive input for A2-B1 levels (possibly with scripts). And working on listening is even harder if you are “emosiynol iawn”, and get upset with yourself for not understanding things.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s so important to be able to go through the ‘what the hell?!’ stage without beating yourself up too badly. [I’d be very surprised if anyone described your Welsh as A2, by the way!].

I think you’ll find Level 3 (and the listening exercises for Level 2, coming very soon) useful - but then we’re going to be working on a vocab-building approach which I’m hoping is going to be a real help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch:) But I haven’t been speaking much since summer, I’m afraid, so it’s really about A2 now, in the best of cases. Will be looking forward to the new level:)

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll shake off the rust fairly quickly when you get the chance… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you:) Getting there, with the help of all the wonderful people here who are willing to skype:)

2 Likes

Saw your post pop up! Shmae! I’m refreshing my aged memory. When I can hold a reasonable conversation, I’ll try to set up Skyping!

1 Like

I’ll be looking forward to an opportunity to talk to you:) Talking about Star Trek in Welsh would be thrilling.:slight_smile:

2 Likes