Why not come to the Gloucester meeting?

Now there is a question! Think of the excitement, the suspense, the drama of visiting our small but enthusiastic meeting on the second Wednesday of each Month: 7.30pm at the England’s Glory pub, where I’m sure they think we are Romanian. There is a mixture of native speakers from Sir Gar and intermediate and early learners and the next instalment is tomorrow (8th) so everyone is welcome to come along.
I will be expectant now, that there will be a queue out of the door! Ha Ha! Pam lai!
Nic (My epitaph should read: “He died an optimist” or perhaps “Gaeth e ei farw yn optimistaidd”)

3 Likes

Hi Nic! Next time perhaps! I shall put a note in the diary, I guess for June 12th?

Yes, thanks Phil - 12th June. There’s plenty of parking behind the pub.
Hwyl
Nic

Is the next one 10 July? I can’t make it this time, but could join you for the next one (I’m in Cheltenham, currently working my way through level 2).

Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes, the next meeting is on 10th July, from 7.30pm until 9pm. We usually siarad yn Gymraeg for the first hour and then lapse into Saesneg for the last half an hour, which is a good time to ask questions and discuss things, before the drinking competition commences (only joking!).
It would be great to meet you,
Cofion/Regards,
Nic

Thanks, Nic. I’ll give it a go. I’m nervous already, but it will be a good step forwards, I’m sure. I’ll put it in the calendar.

Steve,
That’s perfectly understandable but the people at the meeting are far from purists and will be very encouraging, so there’s really no need to worry. The worry stems from being afraid to make mistakes or forgetting what you are trying to say but, as Iestyn says, you learn more by making mistakes. Building the confidence to join a conversation is an important step but you can always just listen in initially if you want to, and marvel at my mistakes!
Nic

Thanks. I’ll feel I’ve failed if I leave without having said something (in Welsh), so I do want to join in, if only in a small way. That would give me more confidence that I have learnt some useful Welsh, I hope.

I must apologise: I won’t be able to make this one, either. I will keep on with the learning in the meantime, and do my best to see you at the August meeting, if there is one.

Dim problem Steve, perhaps see you in Mis Awst. I usually wear my bathers in August but the people who come for skittles seem to find it disconcerting, so I’ll probably wear normal clothes over the top. I don’t want to cause any commotion or undue fuss, though I’m beginning to suspect I’ve come under surveillance; since there is a van with “Dwr Cymru” on the side, which always seems to be parked nearby, wherever I am. I suppose it’s possible to become a little neurotic about this but there is never a hydrant in the vicinity, and all they seem to do is sit and eat laverbread and drink Tomos Watkins Worm’s Head Ale. Wel, Felly mae yn de fe!

This message is intended to be read with a funky baseline to it, so - get down on it: the next Gloucester meeting is on Wednesday 14th: 7.30pm at The Englands Glory, London Road.
Nic

Hi Nic, I am full of a cold ar hyn o bryd so don’t think I shall be venturing up to this one. Sorry, but hopefully see you in Thornbury on the 28th.
Phil

Dim problem Phil. Gobeithio you feel better soon. Try listening to more funk music: it’s been scientifically proven to improve the immune system. Nic

I’ll join you this evening (I’ll have to get the bus from Cheltenham, as I don’t drive (much to the relief of other road users). See you later.

Steve

Is the next meeting this week, Nic? And did you know that the England’s Glory is closed (a friend was passing today and sent me a photo of the To Let sign outside, so I take it the pub has bitten the dust)?

Hi Steve,
The meeting was on the 9th October (2nd Wednesday of each month) and the pub was open then. Perhaps they closed it because of something I said (yn Gymraeg)! I’ll have a drive past. If that is the case, we’ll have to decide whether to change venues or call it a day. I’ll report back in due course but thanks for alerting me.
Nic

Thanks, Nic. I’ll put the date in the calendar on the phone. Hope you can find another venue, if it is closed. Let me know.

I will be interested in coming when I’m able to. I live in Tetbury and having retired recently I am wanting to learn Welsh properly having not had very good teaching at school in North Wales all those years ago.

Andy Woolley

You will be most welcome, Andy - we meet at 7.30pm on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.
Nic

Have you seen this thread @AndyWoolley? Tetbury, Gloucestershire - Conversation Group

Francis came to a recent bwtcamp and hasn’t been able to find anyone in Tetbury to practise with.