Y wyddfa

This naming issue is complicated by the fact that the literal English translation of Y Wyddfa is, “The grave.” This is unfortunate in a way, since it is not likely to be a workable English alternative to put on a signpost (buried) underneath Y Wyddfa. The other problem is that non Welsh speakers (which includes many Welsh people, of course) can’t say it! So, whilst I can sympathise with a certain amount of longstanding resentment over the misappropriation of Welsh place names, I think the best way forward is to put the Welsh first and most prominently, but have Snowdon underneath; with the intention of gradually phasing it out the latter over time.
Perhaps the eliffant in the room i.e. the bigger issue is with “Wales” itself. I know this has been discussed on the forum before, but why do we refer to Wales by a name given to it by others? I know we say Turin and Florence, but the Italians don’t! We should just say Cymru, even if others want to say Wales.

Well yes and no -
This is from Dictionary of the Place-names of Wales by Hywel Wyn Owen and Richard Morgan:

5 Likes

All a bit of a distraction. More important to think if ways in reducing the hoardes of visitors trekking up and down the mountain causing erosion to the paths and disturbing any wildlife that lives on Snowdon/ yr wyddfa.

1 Like

With due respect, you are the fourth person in this thread to mention this. The pronunciation is, in my opinion, not relevant to the argument. Stubborn people with no respect are the only ones who’ll refuse to say it and/or refuse to attempt to learn how to say it. To say they can’t say it is ridiculous.

3 Likes

Hi Gruntius,
I suppose the relevance concerns whether people will actually use the preferred name if they struggle to say it. I suspect that if you asked ten people from SSIW to pronounce it now, there might be at least three different versions. My (ridiculous) point is that the more difficult it is, the less likely it is to be widely adopted. Whether we are Welsh or otherwise, we are all human (yes, I know: that’s ridiculous too) and subject to the same failings i.e to take the easiest route. So, folding our arms and saying, “Well you have no choice” is unlikely to endear people to the wider Welsh language project and may just be interpreted as being unnecessarily confrontational. Anyway, it’s just my view - nothing more than that.
Cofion, Nic

1 Like

This is a great thread, full of interesting information and diverse viewpoints. It’s really enlightening to hear how people from an array of different backgrounds view this argument.

Thank you all for contributing so openly. All opinions here are valuable, they help us create a more accurate picture of this issue as a whole and to understand each other with greater clarity, which is a great perspective to have.

Let’s continue this lively discussion with the positive attitude, mutual respect and passion it deserves.

Diolch everyone for your inputs! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand why there should be many ways to pronounce Yr Wyddfa in particular?
Unless you mean depending on regional accent?
But that’s true for every name anywhere so I don’t think it would really matter if you pick one or another, I guess?

Reading how the discussion progressed, it would seem that there are two main points behind all this:

1. it’s a mainly Welsh speaking area, in Wales so name should be in Welsh (the point being Welsh language not being a second-class language, since English is not THE official language of UK as many believe).

2. British non Welsh speakers should accept that English is not the only language on the island, and do the effort to learn to pronounce the Welsh name correctly.
    I say British, because foreigners don’t necessarily know to pronounce English names correctly either - I can tell from experience trying to buy tickets around the UK! :sweat_smile: - so I don’t think the issue is really about us!

Am I understanding it right? :thinking:

1 Like

I think that’s pretty accurate a synopsis. I’d add one:

1. Snowdon is a historic name in it’s own right and is more established than Snowdonia. So the third point is, the standing of it as a historic name for a landmark. Basically, it’s had a bilingual existence for a millennia.

However, Yr Wyddfa should already be listed first because that would be in-line with the existing policy throughout Gwynedd and the Gorllewin anyway. Cymraeg first - English second

1 Like

And not just foreigners either, people from England can often be quite unsure about how to pronounce names of smaller places in other parts of England that they’re not already familiar with! :confused:

3 Likes

I’m not sure I got this one right. I thought the goal was having Yr Wyddfa only instead of Snowdon and Eryri only instead of Snowdonia.
Or is it Yr Wyddfa and Eryri first, and Snowdon only instead of Snowdon and Snowdonia for the English?

On a side note, I have to say that to my ears Snowdonia sounds really nice - like the setting of a fairy tale! :smiley:
Of course nothing wrong with the Welsh names, since pretty much all Welsh names sound great in a fictional story to me! :sunglasses:

Oh, of course! But out of habit, I think, they seem to be all focused on how dreadful Welsh names look, and not fully aware that English is totally phonetically inconsistent!

4 Likes

True. I’m happy to see it shown after Yr Wyddfa. Also, I refer to my Dad’s birthplace as Abertawe these days, but he never did. Swansea is also a name with an interesting history.

You must be talking about my late in-laws. :roll_eyes:
Sue

1 Like

I have taught 5 friends how to pronounce Yr Wyddfa. They all managed.

3 Likes

I think the argument for Welsh only place names (not geographical landmarks) is strongest when the translation is just a respelling of the same name. Caerffili and Caerphilly, Merthyr Tudful and Merthyr Tydfil, being the main examples I think of.

Names like Abertawe/Swansea are different because they come with a less imperialist past

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s quite closed minded to think people can’t when many many many have. I’d rather take a growth mindset, everyone has the capacity to change. If I’ve managed to learn Welsh I think so so so many can. This isn’t self-deprecating just how confident I am that we all have the capacity to learn.

4 Likes

It’s a faux Latinisation, like Cambria and Gwalia. Maybe there’s an echo of cultural recognition there for you?

2 Likes

I was thinking of the similarity to Finlandia.

Its certainly a tricky debate, and one that needs understanding and respect from both sides. However, as you mentioned, Rob, the original intention of Gwynedd CC was just for the National Park body itself, to use the Welsh names. Although I understand that some people would like to move it on a little further.

I never thought of these names as faux Latinisations. But now that you mention it , it could definitely be some subconscious familiarity and cultural recognition going on there!

Among my favourite places in Italy there’s Tuscany, with Val di Cornia, Populonia, Vetulonia…just first on top of my head, so…!

@JohnYoung final ia is very common in general for sure. And “landia” , often used especially for fictional names or Disneyland-inspired themed parks I remember from childhood like Fiabilandia, Edenlandia and Mirabilandia. So maybe another reason while it sounds natural to me for a park! :laughing:

1 Like

“Tuscany”… is that perhaps somewhere in Toscana? :blush:

1 Like