Yes and No

I know there has been several topics on this subject. However, everything seems to be centred around how to reply yes and no to questions. I want to know how to reply yes and no to statements. For example, in my book there is an exercise asking for the appropriate agree or disagree to the following statements.
Mae teithio ar longyn hwyl.
Cymru yw’r wlad harddaf yn y byd.
Daeth y tiwtor i’r dosbarth mewn car.
Roedd arholiadau’n anoddach yn y gorffenol.
Can anyone help with the agree/disagree answers.
Thanks.

2 Likes

It’s exactly the same as if you were answering questions because in Welsh yes and no are more than that - they are “yes (it is)”, “no (he didn’t)”, etc. so you just need to think about what the full yes or no is.

So for your examples:
Mae teithio ar longyn hwyl. Yes it is = Ydy (colloquially in some areas, yndy) or No it isn’t = Nacydy (colloquially in some areas, na’dy)
Cymru yw’r wlad harddaf yn y byd. As above.
Daeth y tiwtor i’r dosbarth mewn car. Yes he did = Do, or No he didn’t = Naddo
Roedd arholiadau’n anoddach yn y gorffenol. Yes exams were = Roedd, or No exams weren’t = Nagoedd

2 Likes

Thank you Siaron. Comes up trumps as always.

1 Like

With this one @siaronjames, wouldn’t it be ie or nage because it’s a focused sentence? No verb at the beginning?

Anyone else have any views on this?

Ah, yes, it probably is - I really must stop answering questions before my second panad in the morning!

Also, having looked again, with Roedd arholiadau’n anoddach yn y gorffenol Yes exams were = Roedd, or No exams weren’t = Nagoedd you can agree/disagree with Roeddyn = yes they were, or Nag oeddyn = no they weren’t.

1 Like