Yorkshire Learners Group

The next meeting is on Saturday the 25th. I will be missing but I’m sure you can find plenty to talk about.

Missing? Can you predict that kind of thing?

Don’t think I’ll be there either as only back from holiday on the Thursday. Unfortunately won’t be at September meet up as back in Lpool for a wedding. really am getting very little Welsh at the monent😟

So what, Ruth? It won’t matter; the Welsh isn’t lost, it’s just on pause. There will be plenty time to catch up when the nights draw in!
We’ve worked 40-something years and made our contribution to society. Why not live in the present and enjoy the opportunities that come along? Otherwise what advantage is there in being a pensioner?
I’m going to let the younger ones do the worrying.
See you in October when the trains may have been sorted out,
Raymond

1 Like

Hi Raymond et al,

So, it was THE meeting today when everyone was away…I wasn’t sure if I was going to be there on my own … I took a book with me just in case!.

And STILL we met a new high - Beryl came from Cymdeithas Leeds for the first time and we had our regular first language Gladiator, Geraint in attendance - and top of the class Welsh teachers/ speakers Eileen and Carys-T…oh - er…and me…holding them back, ha, ha!

I thought last month’s meeting would be tough to beat in terms of Welsh spoken but there was a clear margin this month - impressive - I didn’t think it would be possible - but even the bar staff were thanked in Welsh!..AND they seemed to like it! (I think we have a responsibility to teach them a few words!)

It was absolutely fantastic practice for me - once again - thanks to you all for your patience, fel arfer.

So back to normal next month - Emma will be back - and you know she always wants to flip the conversation back to English . :wink:

I think there is the possibility of there being two gatherings next month’s subject to availability - our regular meeting on the fourth Saturday plus a Cymdeithas event on the Saturday after - which is a walk/ chat around Roundhay Park if people can make it. Sounds good to me - Roundhay is lovely in the first place - add a bit of Welsh thrown in and well, what’s not to like, as they say in these parts!

With everybody back from holiday next month, goodness knows what will happen - there could be a cast of a thousand!

Either way I’m looking forward to it, I’m sure it will be fun. See you there.

Rich

3 Likes

We were talking about birds last Saturday and were a bit unsure how to name them in Welsh. I thought it would be nicer if we could refer to them in Welsh and decided to do something about it.

BUT nice ideas need a way of making them happen.
SO I have some pictures of garden birds for our next meeting on 24 November. And, in line with our preference for using Welsh, we aren’t translating them from English; no, we are going to name them in Welsh.
Unless you are already knowledgeable about the birds you may see in your garden it would be better if you have an idea of what they look like. You will find some garden birds on the SAGA website and lots more on lovethegarden.com or maybe you have a pocket guide book like those from RSPB and Collins. It will help if you have more than just a dictionary. It’s going to be fun!

Maybe next year we can do waterbirds, or insects, or trees, or … anything.

Raymond

2 Likes

Sorry just not been able to come these past months and not able to come this month either. Hopefully I can start properly again in the New Year.
Ruth

2 Likes

Happy New Year everyone!

Meeting at 11:30 onwards in the upstairs room of the Brewery Tap in Leeds, here are the dates for 2019:
January 26
February 23
March 23 (be careful as there are 5 Saturdays in March)
April 27
May 25
June 22 (be careful as there are 5 Saturdays in June)
July 27
August 24 (be careful as there are 5 Saturdays in August)
September 28
October 26
November 23 (be careful as there are 5 Saturdays in November)
December 28

I have included the December date as it is not in the Christmas preparation period this year.

I know there will be loads to talk about this month but, even so, I have prepared a little something for you to cope*/struggle* with in Welsh! (*Delete as appropriate)

I hope to see you on 26th

Raymond

5 Likes

Hi, is the meeting on Saturday 26th January 2019 still on? I may attend if that’s okay, ond dw i’n newydd dechrau dysgu siarad cymraeg

1 Like

It certainly is! Fantastic - I’ll look forward to seeing you - you will be very welcome.

Rich
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch Rich

1 Like

We will be glad to see you.

And even more so if you can name some Spring wild flowers in Welsh! (That’s a very blunt hint so that you can join in better.)

Raymond

I’m actually coming after a six month absence. Train ticket booked. I’ve forgotten most of what I’ve learnt :disappointed::worried:

2 Likes

Great - it will be good to see you. There could be quite a crew. I think @CarysT is back having been to Oz - we haven’t seen her since she on boot camp in September! We are expecting some very good Welsh with an Australian accent!

:slight_smile: Rich

1 Like

Very good. You’ll soon pick it up again!

Also, you will recognise the Spring flowers but you may want to look up their Welsh names before you come.

See you on Saturday

Raymond

I thought the translation of Merched Beca on Saturday was most impressive and an indicator of great progress.
Raymond

1 Like

Thanks for your hard work Raymond. I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

It was almost like fate wasn’t it, that we had to move because of the function - and we got to sit in the sun instead…that’s not going to happen too often in Leeds is it!

Unfortunately Iona did go to The Tap and so was looking for us and didn’t get my email message until later. I have given her my phone number now so that we have a more direct communication method if anything happens again.

A good meeting and a good game of rugby afterwards!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any info on when and where the Leeds meet ups are? Wrexham boy here living in Sheffield currently. Had seen something about Bradford but a bit too far afield (diog lol)

1 Like

Hi @michael-1

Yes it’s upstairs in the Leeds Tap which is about 100 yards from both the train and bus stations. It’s on the 4th Saturday of the month (so unfortunately you’ve just missed one) but it would be great to see you there.

We have beginners through to first language speakers and it is pretty informal. People start arriving from 11.30 and come and go until about 2.30.

Rich :slight_smile: