You know you are learning Welsh when

When you stop a Skype conversation with your ffrind daith to ask your husband something and you accidentally start the question in Welsh.

When you start picking up on the meaning of Welsh words that you don’t know based on the words you do know.

When you can get the podcast topic by listening to the first several sentences without looking anything up.

And, to add to the ‘dreaming in Welsh’ thread…dreamt I was at Bootcamp, speaking and reading Welsh. Nope, no idea what I’d said when I woke.

7 Likes

Adding my bit to the ‘dreaming in Welsh’ topic; I once dreamt I was watching Pobol y Cwm - and when I woke up, I found I was.

10 Likes

It must have been a particularly riveting episode @owainlurch :wink:

6 Likes

You know you’re learning Welsh when you try to read everything in Welsh even if it’s not written in this language.

4 Likes

Here’s one that might be of interest. I was trying to explain to someone what the Geordie dialect word “canny” means (canny day, canny lad etc.). It has a different meaning to the mainstream English and Scots words of the same spelling and has nothing to do with cani.

Anyway, I ended up saying that it doesn’t really translate into English, but means something like the Welsh “iawn”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it doesn’t mean ‘clever’??

Not in the NE of England. Its meaning is close to nice or not bad. The Wenglish “Tidy” is about as close as you can get.

4 Likes

They are gorgeous:) Glad to find a kindred spirit who loves toads!

2 Likes

you know you are learning Welsh when you decide to use the Welsh version of your name (or at least its phonetically-Welsh spelling if there isn’t an actual ‘version’!) :wink:

4 Likes

That reminded me of an occasion when (I was a child then) I saw hundreds of little frogs in the streets of our city! I was absolutely astonished and delighted and wanted to take them all home.:slight_smile: I suppose they were migrating somewhere, but it’s still strange because our city is quite big and this was in the centre.

2 Likes

Yn gyntaf (firstly) Helo, Seren! Long time no hear/see/whatever!!
I used to see zillions of little frogs (not toads) migrating in Gwynedd when I stayed there. I had a Cavalier (King Charles spaniel) who was a natural little hunter with the look of a sweet little angel. Trying to get her back from a walk, with my other dogs, when we crossed the migration path was not funny!! (I had other experiences with her and pigeons in Bradford and swans in the Lake District! She saw ‘feathers’ and reacted, “Prey!!”)
Here, every year, frogs who were tadpoles in a little loch not far away, cross a footpath when moving inland! Again, problems with dogs!. We have tadpoles in our wild garden pond, but neither of us has seen the migration. If, by chance, we do, a picture will result!

2 Likes

@siaronjames. Someone I know pronounces her name something like Share’n. As in the Welsh hymn about the Rose of Sharon. One of those names that I find you need to hear before you see it written. A bit like SSiW.

I was shocked when a girl who was apparently newsworthy - some sort of reality TV ‘star’. was referred to as Cyan, or S+eye+an and turned out to be named Sian, presumably by parents who got it from a book!!

1 Like

Someone shared a link on my FB page to a video, where a mother duck was standing by the side of a highway (this seemed to be in the USA), while a bunch of policemen were rescuing her chicks from something like a storm drain by the side of the road.

When it seemed like all the chicks were rescued, the mother plus chicks moved back from the edge of the road, and assumed a position higher up, but with the mother not taking her eyes off the road/drain(s). It turned out there were more missing chicks; the policemen soon realised and looked again, finding some in the drain on the opposite side of the road.

Finally, all chicks seemed to be rescued, and mum and babies waddled happily off.
Rather touching!

2 Likes

That was one special duck!

In a previous existence, I was working for a charity where I had to do exactly that - rescue ducklings from a storm drain by a road by the side of a river as their mother looked on.

As I took the first couple out and put them into the river (just a few feet away), the mother hung around and the ducklings stayed with her.

When it came to the fourth, the mother obviously thought “right, that’s about enough!” and started to sail off into the distance, followed by her too few ducklings!

I had to quickly get the last few out, and the last one sailed through the air in a long arc as a bewildered small ball of feathers before splashing gently into the river as I threw it frantically after her. Luckily they all got out and were reunited, but that mother duck couldn’t count!

4 Likes

You try to say " … and twenty …"
but it comes out as “… a THwenty …”

This when speaking in English (but with Welsh “a” for “and”, complete with the
treiglad llaes - aspirate mutation of whatever follows).

1 Like

If it’s any consolation Bob I once asked for a traditional brecwast in wetherspoons

3 Likes

You know you are learning Welsh when you watch a programme about an eco-village in west wales, which is named after a pagan Anglo Saxon harvest festival and your heart feels like it has been ripped out when you realise that this about creating sustainable English Speaking communities in West Wales, funded by the Welsh Government. The aims of the communities were admirable - low impact on the environment etc, but no mention of impact on local communities, culture and the language.

Only a connection to the language would make me feel like that and if Welsh language and culture was also a cornerstone of these communities then it would indeed be a beautiful thing.

6 Likes

You know you’re learning Welsh when, you wake up from an op in Hospital having totally confused the recovery nurse(s) by speaking in Welsh to your Scouser nurse (who apparently had to go and find someone to translate) … confusing when your notes say English language :smiley:
I was sooooooo chuffed when they told me!

12 Likes

This was a Grand Designs programme this week on C4 and at the end it said let this be a clarion call to everyone to up sticks and (paraphrasing) go west and become an Engllish speaking settler in West Wales. “wagons roll”

I was livid. These people were gifted Seven acres (each) of prime agricultural land in West Wales and given the challenge of making it 75%self sufficient in 5years. My grandfather in the Rhondda did that with a terraced house, with a tank for composting sewerage and a small allotment on a rough barren hillside.

I looked up the Lammas website and they had links to other settlements and schools that had been set up, where education was quoted as being through the use of Language(English) and also the teaching of French!.

I am all for these sort of environmental things, but I can’t believe they are blind to the impact they might create on local language and culture. If they embraced the language and championed it, I would actually be banging their drum, but as it is I find it highly distasteful.

7 Likes