You know you are learning Welsh when

You know you are learning Welsh when your wife texts you with the exciting news that the man parked next to her in the Car Park is listening to Radio Cymru !

8 Likes

Did she text you in Welsh? :smile:
(Should we call that “Wexting”?)

6 Likes

@hewrop Sadly not… :frowning: I like Wexting though! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cymrexting? Cymrecsio? Possibilities beckon! But if a text is neges destun??? To text - tesdun? @aran @Iestyn ??

2 Likes

Tesdun or tecstio are used, but I was just trying to make a joke. (lead ballon again :blush:)

3 Likes

Sorry, Huw, I knew that but was struck by the actual question! I should have put :grinning:

2 Likes

Can I have a little aside on “Jocs bach Huw”? :smile:
At one Tresaith bootcamp, my party piece was to tell jokes. My performance was received with such deafening silence that I was invited to sing a song instead. :disappointed::blush:

5 Likes

Oh Bach! Gobeithio mae’n ddim yn wir! Makes me want to give you a cwtch!

You’re smiling more. Because you’re finally learning Welsh.

5 Likes

:slight_smile: and you’re smiling in Welsh! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This doesn’t really quite fit here, but it doesn’t fit anywhere else, and I wanted to share it, and it’s not worth starting a new thread for one rather pointless and sentimental post.

So: when I was little and we’d go on holiday to France, Mireille, the wife of my dad’s oldest friend, would always bid us goodnight with the twofold bon soir, bonne nuit, and that always has a warm, familiar, childhood feel for me. (Because this was in the Languedoc, there were two syllables to bonne, so the whole thing came out like poetry – a spondee followed by a something else that I could look up, I guess.)

And with our own children, because my partner is half Brazilian, but every time I try to speak Portuguese it ends up as Catalan (which I speak much better), I have wound up ending the evening with boa noite, bona nit, which has much the same feel to it (and nearly the same rhythm).

Except that just lately, of course, it has now evolved into boa noite, bona nit, nos da. And the 6 year-old – her brother is already asleep by then – snuggles down and sleepily responds nos da. Which makes me smile.

13 Likes

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

…when a workman repairing the riverside path at Llanrwst asked me where in Wales I was from, he couldn’t quite place my accent. Backhanded compliment I guess but I didn’t even know I had an accent! (Other than Saesneg). Oh well, little victories every day.

8 Likes

I’d say that’s about the best compliment of all!..:slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are lucky enough to come from somewhere with an official name in Cymraeg, then a good answer would be to come out with that, with as straight a face as you can muster, and then wait for the double-take. :wink:

5 Likes

Talking of workmen, or actually the sign writing on their vans -
I regret to having noticed the word “datrysiadau”, which I have now learnt to mean (solutions) as part of the company name, written on a work vehicle. It seems that my extended honeymoon with Welsh-learning is now well and truly over :smiley:

2 Likes

When you sit on the train and read it “We-ll-ington” with a Welsh LL on the station sign and it takes you a good five minutes to realise that it’s Wellington, like in the boots. :smiley:

6 Likes

Or the famous General who,was made Duke and became Prime Minister! ( He defeated the French under a guy called Napoleon Buonaparte at Waterloo!) He was well known for battles in, just before or just after rain! Sorry, I am a great admirer of Napoleon and Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, wasn’t too bad either! You hit my ‘hobby’ button!

1 Like

When your 2nd hand iPad English language keyboard, on you typing Llong offers you Llongyfarchiadau because you have typed it so often on the Forum!

5 Likes

I like this one. I’m learning Russian and ofren when I see the letter ‘H’ now I think of the sound ‘N’!!!

1 Like