You know you are learning Welsh when

“Lloyd” is normally pronounced “Loyd”, but the surname “Llwyd” (where it is from) is pronounced “Llwyd” :blush:

3 Likes

HAHA! I knew I would do so to at least one person …

So Cyraeg way? :slight_smile:

To be honest yesterday watching online TV broadcast I looked puzzled to that surename for about a minute or more wondering how I should say it since it was a Cymraeg program and the name was not mentioned in the speach at least I didn’t hear it. Then on I almost laughed to myself realizing it could very well be it is just said English way.

I know a (fluent Welsh speaking) Lloyd who insists on pronouncing my first name the Carmarthen way, instead of the rural Neath way I pronounce it, whilst happily pronouncing his own name Loyd. Needless to say I’ve started pronouncing his name Ll oyd whenever I talk to him.

But beyond that, I’ve never heard anyone pronouncing Lloyd anything but Loyd.

3 Likes

Well, “Lloyd” isn’t actually a Welsh spelling at all -it is an anglicised spelling of “Llwyd” already- so if your name is a Welsh spelling, I would say he does have a point! :wink: :blush:

[Though one’s name is the one word in a language which has a ‘right’ pronunciation, determined by the person whose name it is, of course!]

1 Like

Agreed here :slight_smile: But it’s interesting question, isn’t it?

Well, about what you said: My son’s name is Mártin but in our region tendency is people say Martín (mind stress on both names) what prety much irritates my son (and us bot with my husband for that matter) so yes … name is determined by the person whose name it is it just depends of how much people take this into considderation …

1 Like

Tonight I practiced some Welsh dialogues and then for a change of pace switched to watching a film in Spanish. I usually watch these type of films with Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles. Fifteen minutes later I suddenly realized I had forgotten to set the audio and sub-title settings to Spanish. I had been listening for 15 whole minutes thinking I was listening in Spanish when in fact I was listening in English!!!

Justin

2 Likes

Justin, you made my day!:slight_smile:

You know you’re learning Welsh when you read on a website “The English actor Lee Williams” and you become very angry and hiss “He’s Welsh! Welsh” making your family and your cat worry about you.

6 Likes

That sounds more as if you are becoming Welsh, not learning Welsh!!! :sunny:

6 Likes

Apparently, I never do things by halves:)

4 Likes

When you’re so happy/proud with yourself for learning to say Llanfair p.g. You’ve said virtually nothing but that all day. Haha.
Even Oscar tried it. He basically just got the gogogogo.
:smile:

6 Likes

Da iawn!! I can read it, but I can never remember it all!!
I comfort myself with the idea that it isn’t a real name. At least, wasn’t it some locals taking the mick out of English railway folk who asked the name of a place?

No idea in the history or how it got that name, but if that was true I could whole heartedly relate to the joy of taking the mick.

You know you’re learning Welsh when you read something about Welsh language on the FB and then move to next post saying something about Gym and you, instead of “gym” read “Gymraeg” despite there’s many more letters then in “gym” word.

7 Likes

Hilarious!

My husband said “where’s the key?” and I said," he’s asleep in his basket."

27 Likes

That just made my day:)

Ww, that’s the best yet… :star: :star2:

1 Like

No idea what it was about, or how accurate the speaking was, but all I remember of last nights dreams is that it was all in Welsh!

8 Likes

Huge step forward - well done that man!

All the first examples of Welsh in my dreams involved other people speaking Welsh and me running away so I didn’t have to talk to them…:wink:

4 Likes

When “You mutate really well” is the compliment of the year for you.

7 Likes