You know you are learning Welsh when

:laughing:
What more can I say?

For an alien that might be the ultimate compliment, don’t you think?

Justin

4 Likes

Which reminds me, I’m giving up Lenitions for Lent…

1 Like

… the dog has opened the window because the cat walked to the pub tonight.

4 Likes

when you get this joke:

5 Likes

Maybe when you wake up with a conversation in your head… part of a dream?
“Beth s’yn bod?”
“Dim bid.”
“Mae rhywbeth yn bod! Beth?”
I don’t know who was talking to whom or what the matter was!

4 Likes

Brilliant! Laughed til I cried!!

My habit is answering questions “Is it raining?” with “It is”.“Can you come?” -“I can” “Did they win?” “They didn’t” (yes we all know what that one’s about )

3 Likes

That was how I was taught to speak English… It was forbidden at my school to answer just “yes” or “no” and only after I had started to watch some films in English did I realize that’s not always how people really talk…

3 Likes

When you come across a sentence “Dwi wedi anghofio fy ngwaith cartref / llyfr / mhen.” And you think – Oh, at least some students admit that they do actually forget their head at home! Life would be so much easier if they all were honest about this.
Then you realize that “pen” is also a pen. But I still prefer my first translation.

10 Likes

:laughing: :grinning: lol!!!

When you’re on the way to visit your son in Norwich, standing on Ely Station and you notice that the train operating company is called ‘abellio’. That’s got to be a Welsh verb you think - it even has a mutated ‘pell’ in the middle of it (pell = far, distant, remote), so related to travelling across the country for over seven hours! So disappointing when you realise it’s a Dutch company!

9 Likes

I think you should apply to the Welsh Language Commissioner to have it officially added to the language Helen. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When you’re an American and you hear the Cymraeg for ‘your children’ introduced for the first time and all you can think of is the vegetable. And then you hear someone ask, ‘do you like eggplant?’ and think to yourself, ‘well, that’s an awkward question!’ (Helpful tidbit: we here in the States primarily use ‘eggplant’ instead of ‘aubergine’ for some odd reason…)

2 Likes

When you’re listening to a Zulu song and think they’ve thrown a Welsh word in… (Llaba).
Or you see a laundry truck in England that you’ve seen a million times before but never noticed the company is called Afonwen…

2 Likes

When you drive through the village of Kinnitty in Ireland (where my dad was born) and you want to put the word “fynd” on the end of it

8 Likes

when you suddenly realize you’ve been pronouncing the name of hip hop artist Ty Dolla Sign wrong all this time :grimacing: Also when you wonder why bands are always talking about girls then you realize merch is short for merchandise.

2 Likes

When you are reading a random Russian forum thread about learning Spanish and Italian together and whether it provokes confusion or not and one of the replies says: “Why would you be learning Spanish anyway, there are enough people who can speak it. You should learn Welsh instead, you won’t confuse it with any other language and you will make sure the language lives on”.
The Universe has spoken:)

13 Likes

When you hear Cymraeg spoken even when and where there is not but rather there’s speach in your own native language …

3 Likes

When you know your sound “v” is also written as “v” and you just unconsciously write “f” instead and you notice that only the next day.

BTW: “Navodila” (as it should be written) means instructions in Slovene :slight_smile:

8 Likes