Your first steps - and Welcome to the Million Speakers Project!

Say ‘hello!’ in here if you’d like to contribute to the Million Speakers Project - the SSiW community’s response to the government’s target of a million Welsh speakers by 2050.

Saying hello is the first step to becoming part of the project.

Next step - join the Trello board, so that you can be part of the organising/voting we do over there:

Then - do you have any ideas about tipping point solutions - ‘if we could solve this one thing, it would be a tipping point’ kind of stuff? If so, throw them on the pile here:

Then, any ideas you have for how to get more people learning, how to get more learners succeeding, and how to get more people using their Welsh

As well as suggesting ideas, you can contribute by discussing other people’s ideas, by helping implement the ideas we decide to test, by helping measure and promote the ideas we test, and by helping organise the overall process of suggesting/testing/measuring/promoting…

Just keep an eye on this section, and then vote when we’re voting, and volunteer when we’re volunteering… :star: :star2:

Scope and aims

Thanks to a great piece of input from @warrendavies, here’s an outline set of points - further input welcome! :slight_smile:

What is the SSiW project timeline?

I think we’re open-ended, with annual summaries of what’s been tested and what’s been achieved.

What does success look like?

I think if we implement between 5 to 10 ideas each year, we’ll be making a valuable contribution.

How can we measure success?

We need to have individual measures for each idea that gets implemented - numbers of learners, or numbers of conversations, stuff that we can track - so that we can then make an informed decision about which implementations have succeeded and should be continued, and which should be stopped.

What is the scope?

Our main strength as a community, I think, is our experience and understanding of the learning process - so improving results for learners and encouraging more people to learn looks like our core - but I see no reason why we shouldn’t also run ideas that go further into usage and social patterns - but focusing always on ideas we can achieve and implement ourselves, rather than getting caught up in lobbying.

8 Likes

Hi. Great idea

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

1 Like

Hi

1 Like

Well hello there!

1 Like

Helo

1 Like

Hello!

1 Like

Helo!

1 Like

This thread provides some background to the project too; So, this million speakers thing - what are we going to do about it? :thumbsup:

1 Like

Oh my, I’ve not had a chance to come on the forum for a little while and so much seems to have happened! Looks like I’ve a little light reading tonight to catch up with everything!
(hello by the way!)

1 Like

Hello! I’m in.

1 Like

Great - welcome aboard! Key next step after saying hello is joining us on the Trello board:

:slight_smile:

Helo. Dw i’n ‘in’ .

1 Like

Hello :relaxed:

1 Like

Hello

1 Like

Hello! Although chances are that I will have (de)ceased by 2050. Willing to see if I can help towards the target.

2 Likes

Helo!

1 Like

Helô!

1 Like

Helo!

1 Like

Hello!

1 Like