Anyone near Llandovery doing or just done the ssiw6m course?

I’m in Llangadog and have just finished the ssiw6m course, now attempting level 3 and signed up to continue - I don’t want to forget what I have learned! I’m not good at quickly understanding what is said to me in Welsh and need to practise. Anyone feel the same?

4 Likes

I’ll put a note in the weekly newsletter for you June, and see if we can find a few people for you to practise with. I’m sure there are a few around there, but there isn’t a regular SSiW meetup that I know of … yet :slight_smile:

June I have just finished 6month course too, any time you wish to dm me on 6 month slack please do. Im no good at listening either so it could be an interesting conversation🤨 especially as I learnt gog version.
I know its not the same as meeting up with somebody and hope you can practice your Cymraeg in the wild soon.

1 Like

Wel, wel - Llangadog! :slight_smile: This is the village where my mother Mair Jones / nee Gravelle (emphasis on the first syllable) was born and bred. Mamgu (May Gravelle) kept the corner shop on Queen’s Square (sic). Tadcu (W J Gravelle) was a music teacher and the conductor of the famed Gravelle Choir. My great auntie Nen (Gwen Morgan) was a teacher in Llangadog School and her father was the headmaster. I’m 73, so people in the village of my age and more will certainly remember Mrs Gravelle and “WJ” and possibly, Gwen Morgan. My brother and I spent every summer with mamgu and tadcu as children and much of our time was in and around the Sawdde on the common. Please forgive my self-indulgent “hiraeth” for some of the happiest days in my life.

I don’t belong to Slack any more but, if you use Skype and would like to chat, please send me a PM with your Skype user name. :smile:

3 Likes

thank you

thank you Huw. I enjoyed the history lesson. I schooled in Herefordshire - borders - and moved here 23 years ago, but my friend will remember Mrs Gravelle and WJ when I ask her, and she may have photos. You’ll be much more advanced with your welsh than I am, probably first language welsh then! I’m just bumbling along with y first six months of it still, but thank you.

1 Like

thanks Tricia I’ll do that.

1 Like

probably first language welsh then

Not even second, I’m afraid. :slight_smile: I was born in Wales but moved to Aberdeen with my family when I was about two. My brother and I spent every summer holiday between my Ebbw Vale (anglophone) grandparents and my Llangadog (gallophone) grandparents. I remember gratefully that our Llangadog playmates always spoke English in our presence. We did make efforts to learn some Welsh phrases, of course, but a few weeks every year was not enough to make progress. I came to Aberystwyth University in 1990 but didn’t have time to learn Welsh till I retired in 2005-ish. I started and enjoyed some Welsh for Adult courses, but have made most progress with the SSiW approach. I still make lots of mistakes, but now I don’t give a **** :laughing:

My offer for a Skype chat still stands, of course, and I’ll let you know next time I visit Llangadog in the hope that we might meet in the Red for a coffi a sgwrs. If you ever make the one hour trip to Ystrad Meurig, you could also let me know by PM with the same aim. :smile:

Oh, what a shame. My brother was born in Aberdeen - now he lives in Llanelli. We too moved when he was about 2 and I was born in Hereford. I wonder who I know here in Llangadog that you played with when you visited your grandparents. I didn’t get on with the standard courses either, and have so enjoyed the ssiw course. - It must be doing my brain good too!
Busy helping my neighbours by mixing concrete for a new base for my replacement oil tank, and wheelbarrowing the soil away to a farmer (who you may have played with!) for a day or so, but I will send you a message as I shall look forward to skyping with you and trying out my newly won skill of v basic welsh.

2 Likes