Bwtcamps 2018

I’ll be finishing the 6MWS course in August so I will look out for Bwtcamp dates and see if I can make the next one.

2 Likes

Thanks Margaret. I do have problems with sleep and may have to move about in the early hours or sit up in bed and I don’t think that would be possible in a bunk bed and a dormitory situation… apart from not being fair to anyone else in the dormitory. A flat would be perfect as long as it isn’t too expensive.

1 Like

Others have answered your questions well @glynsig so there’s not much for me to add. We are happy to work around special dietary requirements. Generally people bring some of their own food to eat if a particular meal isn’t suitable, but we discuss food issues before we go into the ‘Welsh only’ rule, so that everyone is clear and pairs doing the cooking can sometimes make a side version of a meal with/without particular ingredients to suit.
We do quite often have someone who prefers to sleep in one of the flats next door for various reasons, and they just come and join in with all the activities the rest of the time. Here is a link for you to have a look at what is available: http://www.tresaith.net/
With transport, we usually see who has brought a vehicle, who is willing to taxi people around and how many they can take, then we ask passengers to contribute towards their fuel costs at the end of the week. Iestyn has a large vehicle that can take quite a few people, so we usually only need one or two other vehicles.
Good luck with your move to Wales and we hope to see you on Bwtcamp next year!

2 Likes

Hi glynsig,
if it helps, I’m doing a ketogenic diet and I’ve been on a bootcamp in Tresaith and there was no problem.
The ketogenic diet is low carb, moderate protein and high fat.

Thanks @Deborah-SSi . A flat would be perfect and I am happy to see that I could probably get a lift to enjoy all the activities. Our move to Rhydaman is progressing and looks like it will be August/September so I can plan more once we have settled… and we will be nearer to Tresaith than from Somerset!!!:grinning:

@Tall_Paul Thanks that is helpful. I have other issues with digestion for which I am about to see a gastroenterologist which might finally give answers to my problems. I am almost Keto but as I am diabetic, I am not totally keto.

Yes please, September 2018 x

Keep an eye out on the forum for when Iestyn starts a thread inviting people to express an interest in the September bwtcamp. He won’t be doing that for a little while yet, but we’d love to see you along in September @barbarakingman

2 Likes

Expressing an interest in September Bwtcamp. Knowing the likely dates ASAP would be very helpful as I can find out in plenty of time whether or not I can get leave from work.
Diolch.

2 Likes

I imagine these places may be snapped up… After my tongue in cheek comments about the magnetic pull of Clwb Clecs and other groups, on the Slack workspace, would you be able to cope with a wicked person like me? :wink: I’d like to have a second chance to attend, in weather/daylengths I can cope with. Mis Medi is a beautiful month, mostly!

1 Like

It’s usually the last full week in September, so that would make it the 22nd to the 29th. Is that right @Iestyn?

1 Like

Give me a couple of days to catch up with my missing last week (for Bwtcamp - it was brilliant!), and I’ll get a September booking page up.

However, in the meantime:

Here’s a little something for the Survivors of previous Bwtcamps…

Bwtcamp Therapy Weekend, Friday July 20th - Monday July 23rd.

Suitable for people who have been on Bwtcamp, and want a couple of days to “Top up” the Bwtcamp feeling. More details on this thread here: Bwtcamp Therapy Weekend: July 20 - 24 Booking now open!

3 Likes

Making my dream-goal come true…

Maybe this is a bit premature, but please keep me informed about any mid-year bwtcamps in 2020–a ‘big year’ for SSiW and for me.

Now if only there were direct flights from Vancouver… but who knows? I keep reading that Cardiff airport plans to expand its links to popular places and in summer this is tourist heaven. Just saying :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl,
Marilyn

3 Likes

Hello
I’d love to attend a bwtcamp sometime, but I have too many commitments to be able to do a full week. Do you have any plans to run a long weekend instead? This would be my first bwtcamp so I wouldn’t be able to do the bwtcamp therapy.
Thanks, Tom.

Now if only there were direct flights from Vancouver

My wife and mother-in-law took a memorable train ride in a ViaRail cabin (with ensuite facilities) from Vancouver to Toronto then flew home from there. if you can spare the time, THAT’s the way to travel. :smiley:

The current longest non-stop flights are about 9000 miles and the great circle distance from Vancouver to London is about half that, so by 2020, as you say, “who knows?”

1 Like

That’s very encouraging Huw. As you suggest, failing the introduction of a direct flight, the luxury of a cross-Canada train trip en route sounds wonderful. I must start planning this adventure now :steam_locomotive::small_airplane::bus::taxi:

2 Likes

Hi @tomevans, we don’t run the bwtcamps for less than a week as it takes that long to get the true benefit. People often find the first few days quite mentally tiring, forcing their brains to use only Welsh all the time, so it can take a few days for them to gain confidence and actually start using Welsh naturally. It’s during the second half of the week that we see the most gain, so a long weekend isn’t really long enough.

4 Likes

Hi Iestyn, yes please!! Allai i dangos dirddordeb I ddod I boot camp ,
Liz

September Bwtcamp dates for you: 22-29 September 2018

Could you let me know on the September page (here) if you are interested in coming. This will be the last bwtcamp of the year!

2 Likes

I am new to this but can you tell me how I find out about the usual type boot camps please

Diolch yn fawr

Di

The general information about bwtcamps is up at the top of this thread, and if you go to the separate threads for the different bwtcamps held this year, you can read feedback from people that have been. That will give you an idea what it’s like.

The dates for 2019 haven’t been released yet, but they are generally the last full week in April, June, July and September.

4 Likes