Discouraged by evening class

Sounds really great! Like the sketch by Rhodri Davies… Someone posted a link to that somewhere on the forum I might look for it later. It’s so funny honestly__

Yes I’ve had an experience like that to do with something, not an evening class though another kind of social group which I feel I won’t be attending again. Life is too short focus on what brings you joy happiness and a little light to the world

2 Likes

Yes thank you I would like to come but please can you tell me what you mean by Keep an eye on cornel y sairadwyr, Is that the name of the group? Sorry if you’ve already told me this I’m little bit confused these days. Now I don’t wish to add insult to injury ( If I do it’s meant with love ) but I seem to recall that we were made to sing or were going to be made to sing a song with that name in the evening class with the presumption that we all knew what it was and what it was about. Now I’m afraid I may be very ignorant but I don’t… Is that the Welsh National anthem? I think it was the presumption that we already knew lots of stuff like that put me off this evening class because obviously I felt like I’d been living in a hole for my entire life whereas I haven’t, I promise it’s just that I’m English and although I love Wales I haven’t been brought up knowing what the favourite national Welsh songs are. I’m also not a fan of rugby again please don’t shoot me and so probably wouldn’t have heard it there either… With such a high level of ignorance on my part (Self depreciating wink) Would you still want me to attend your group? Seriously though it sounds great and if I can I will come along because it’s really helpful to hear people speaking Welsh, and will inspire me to do so myself.

1 Like

As I recall, Hi-fi had just been invented, so I spent my evenings listening to German radio instead of doing my homework :rofl:

1 Like

Teaching is everything isn’t it. I have had relatively few really good teachers in my life. One of the best I had was two lecturers at University, Both of whom were intelligent encouraging and able to give constructive criticism am in a way that didn’t make you feel bad about yourself. With both of these tutors there was a high level of mutual respect between us and they were only too willing to give their time to help. If I hadn’t had such good tutors I probably wouldn’t have got a first in my degree. It really makes all the difference which is why I get annoyed when I say lazy tutors, In Particular when working with adults because then they don’t have the bad behaviour aspect to deal with as well so really they have no excuse not to make sure that their paying students are getting their money’s worth. Anyway I’m really pleased you had positive experiences with language teaching at school. My best subject at school was Latin which I would’ve taken on and done O-level except that I had to leave school due to some personal problems and then ended up taking qualifications later on in life. I’ve normally found that I am the best person to teach myself anything, as I know my own learning style and can become very anxious and discouraged if I think that I’m getting left behind in class. Anyway I better go now because actually I want to do some say something in Welsh and here I am just posting on the forum! Hywel!

1 Like

Frances, I post details about our coffee group under Cornel y Siaradwyr in the meetups/events section. Hopefully this link will take you there.

As for the singing, it’s not compulsory by any means! I’m English too, not a drop of Welsh blood to be found, but I too love Wales in the way that you do, which is what inspired me to learn the language. I was aware of the song ‘Calon Lan’ I suppose, (no it’s not the national anthem!), but didn’t know it at all until one day about 18 months ago, before I really started learning Welsh, a couple of Welsh learners/speakers invited me to join them in a rendition of it while we were attending a harmony singing weekend (nothing to do with Wales). We had a little cabaret on the Saturday evening. So, knowing a teeny bit of Welsh, I learnt the first verse and chorus and off we went. If you ever go on a SSIW ‘bwtcamp’, I’m sure you’ll hear it sung - probably in many different forms! Just have a listen on youtube and try it out perhaps. You’ll be able to ‘mouth along’ anyway if you don’t know the words. We don’t do a lot of singing in the group, just a bit of fun at the end.

2 Likes

It’s obviously a very popular welsh song! What’s it about? I know calon is heart. I’m a singer, so no issues with singing as long as I’m not presumed to know it already! Ok thanks a lot for the information take care And hopefully see you in Thornbury sometime

I certainly don’t know the words either, although I know the tune. I can manage the 1st line of the chorus though:

Calon lân yn llawn daioni,

Love that word “daioni” which the Wikipedia entry translates as “virtue”, but you could think of it as “goodness” (cf. “da” = “good”, of course).

1 Like

Thanks for your interesting response, Frances. :smile: Since my reply is long and mainly of interest to you and me, I’ve sent it by Private Message

1 Like

So is that what they sung at the rugby wales v england last week? Or was that land of my fathers another one I was assumed to know. Anyway thanks for sharing, I have got a lot of enjoyment from looking at distant dreamer’s youtube channel where he/she gave translations from welsh and the original lyrics of songs, I have learned a lot of words from that, though a lot of it is just impossible at this stage for me, but the songs are fab and I love some of the more strident nationalist songs, it gives me an insight into Welsh culture that I didn’t have before.

1 Like

I do recognise this actually… aw aren’t those boys gorgeous! Seven years ago… they’re probably all married with kids now! Or not. Bless em.
1 Like

OK this may seem a bit irrelevant, but I have been feeling very depressed today, and now listening to Only Boys aloud singing in Welsh has lifted my depresson off me… thank you for talking about Calon Lan… now I know the cure for my blues… wahoo! I was listening to a Welsh version of merry christmas , just beautiful

1 Like

I didn’t watch it, but they would have sung the latter, for sure. Not too difficult to learn the 1st verse and chorus.

I found this version quite good for learning the words:

English translation on the screen, Welsh in the notes beneath, and he speaks the words clearly.

There are versions with the music, but often the words aren’t as clear.

The tune isn’t difficult once you’ve heard it a few times.

3 Likes

whatever they sung, they won, so it obviously works!!! Cymru am byth!

Another version on the same channel, this time with the tune plus Welsh words on the screen.

So you have a chance to either sing or speak them, accompanied by the tune, but not drowned out by other singers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last one: Welsh words on screen, and spoken, so you learn the sound with the written version:

3 Likes

I’m absolutely delighted that this rendering of Calon Lan has had such an uplifting effect on you as it always does on me. My cousin’s grandson has sung with Only Boys Aloud on other occasions. When his mum christened him “Aran”, I knew he was destined for greatness. Here he is (circled in red) singing with OBA in my home town Ebbw Vale / Glynebwy,

3 Likes

ahhh there’s lovely for you. To be honest, listening to them sing made me proud to be Welsh even though I’m English… that’s a transformational effect if ever I heard one! Bless you, keep flying the dragon and happy Dydd Dewi San. :smiley:

2 Likes

oh ps I like the hat tipping to Aran. Aran is a really nice name anyway, I’m not just saying that to curry favour, honest… no I have always liked the name.

1 Like

Me too…it’s got a nice weave to it…bringing our people closer together-like. Now there’s lovely indeed :wink:

1 Like