Format of skype practice

I’m jealous that you got to learn so much about Latin!

And thank you for your offer of help with Latin - I appreciate it!

If you’re interested in chatting with other people who appreciate Latin, I can point you to a Latin discussion forum I found which seems to be inhabited by a bunch of nice people who do all sorts of things from chatting in Latin, sharing jokes, helping other people out with translations (often for tattoos…) and so on.

1 Like

Yes, thank you, that would be lovely:)

You have a PM :slight_smile:

Drew gen i, dibyn araf wythnos hon.

Byr – short.
Gwyddeleg – Irish.
Cul – narrow.
Treiglo – Mutation.
Anghywir – False/incorect.
cywir , yn gywir – right, correct.
Ngeni – was born.
Cyfarchion – Greetings.
Euog – guilty.
testun/pwnc – Topic/subject.
Gyrru - drive.
Esgus - pretend.
gyferbyn â – opposite.
môr forwyn – Mermaid.
fferm factor – Farm factor.
Ymddeol – retire.
Dihangfa – escape.
Yn y gwyllt - In the wild.
Cefndir – background.
Cefn - Back.
Pellter – distant.
Dianc – escape.
Llwyddo – succeed.
Lladd – kill.
Llwyddiant – success.
Llwyddiannus - successful.
some of the words from skype chat.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Rambling John,

I’m not familiar with dibyn and I’m curious. Is dibyn araf an expression?

Well, just a quick note for those who maybe didn’t see. @englishchildminder is searching for Skype parthner to speak and ymarfer so if it’s anyone up for this, peer into the Re-Introduction and Skype topic to read more. :slight_smile:

Diolch i ddarllen.

2 Likes

I’m not sure who suggested this but i think it was Kim, so hope someone out there has a clear answer for you. (thanks for the interest).

we have a real problem here for which i have no clear answer.
The skype group is at skype capacity (and obviously isn’t open often enough).
There are a lot of people who want to practice.

Group calls are a lot of fun and get multiple inputs, all of which is very good.
But i also understand people who want one to one calls, some of which i will be doing myself.
If anyone wants to start another group or ask for one to one contact i’m more than happy if they post there requests or details of a group here, (but remind them they should only pass there skype names via PM private messages).

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome (this all suggests welsh is a growing language).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

John,

Sorry I have just twigged. I think you meant dipyn - such a small tiny difference, but when I looked up dibyn it means something completely different apparently (precipice, on the brink, dangling) and I was really curious that it might have been a nice expression that I should know about - I cojoured up ideas about araf dibyn like - slowly dangling on the edge - hanging on in there etc.

1 Like

Diolch eto tatjana - I’m at the beginning of conversations at the moment and struggle finding single words (that I know I know!) to complete a basic sentence - I’m not yet at the stage of discussing a theme I don’t think. If anyone is willing to add me and patiently chat (slow enough for me to understand) and also correct me and have even more patience with my slow replies I’d be eternally grateful - even if it was just 10 minutes or so - every little helps :smiley:
the main think I lack is confidence - but am more than willing to ‘give it a go’ as I really really want to be able to speak Welsh a lot better than my current standard.

Diolch for reading :smile:

2 Likes

That’s the only criteria necessary.
The rest is mistakes, confusion, fun, and those light bulb moments when something clicks.
If you can say ‘wnes i weld tri mochyn bach ar y traeth ddoe.’ you are ready to start many conversations.

A few people say they want to just listen (which is fine) but they often end up saying a lot more than they knew they knew.

I suspect one of the useful things is hearing others trying to finish a sentence and coming up with a different solution than i had thought of, we can all learn from each other.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

It was nice to meet everyone briefly last night. When Gareth went, the chat ended. It seemed a bit abrupt, and I thought only Gareth was leaving. Did I misunderstand and everyone was going or was it a blip at my end?

I think Gareth must have started the chat originally, so it ended when he logged out. Stella and I logged back in to say night night, but it was getting a bit late anyway so you didn’t miss much. I think you’d have had to either actively phone in again or answer the call if it beeped at you again… :wink:

2 Likes

Oh no! I’m sorry, I didn’t know that would happen. I had been speaking Welsh for 2 1/2 hours and my poor noggin was pretty fried.

2 Likes

Hmmm … you should have speoken 4 1/2 … when this happens, believe me, it’s nothing too much anymore! It carries you on talking.

Now, I’m sorry I couldn’t be with you tonight, but I had much fun those last hours with @margaretnock what I wouldn’t want to miss in any way … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No problem. I thought I’d heard that your brain was hurting from talking for a long time, Gareth, but then I doubted my ability to understand, as I often get it completely wrong! Net mouse, I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten your name. I do remember, however, that you have two children and a gerbil. It was nice to meet you and Stella last night, however briefly:).

3 Likes

7 pm welsh time, Sunday 17th.
I look forward to hearing about Tatjana’s welsh visitor and anything else people wish to say.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Most of what was typed into skype last night (only a very small part of what was said).

deg o cant – ten percent.
canran - percentage
gradd - grade
tymheredd - temperature
Pechod! - shame/pity
barcud - the bird or kite.
barcud du - black kite, barcud coch - red kite
nico – goldfinch.

pwll - pond/pool
crëyr glas - heron
madfall dwr - newt
broga neu llyffant - frog
o amser i amser = from time to time.
aderyn y to - house sparrow

mynd i’r dde – go to the right.
hwyaden - duck
rhy uchel – to high.
colomen - pigeon
ysguthan - wood pigeon
bwydo - feed
storc - stork (hefyd)

drwg, drygionus - naughty
llamhidydd - porpoise
mulfrain / bilidowcar - cormorant
goroesi = survive/survival.

and thanks for your patience with, and correction of, my mistakes.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

How amazing! Last night I was talking about herons and goldfinch and storks and porpoise and newts and frogs, in Welsh with lovely almost strangers from Germany, Belarus, Slovenia, England and Wales.
I never would have thought it!

6 Likes

Thank you @franhunni. If not before then the real fun began when we started about storks … You’re amazing with talking and understanding! Da iawn ti!

And all the rest … you’re all amazing too. It impresses me the most how many words you actually know while I constantly am cruising through the Geriadur to find them …

But, yah, for the remembrance and some feeling of the spirit of the yesterday’s conversation, here’s a little video about Storks bringing babies (which was part of the discussion, by the way) if you didn’t see it yet …

https://youtu.be/XB8JIl0TOnw

Thanik you @seren for posting the link into the Skype session message window. I love it to the bits. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s the storks that bring us new words, they come in the night and poke them through the letter box.
That would explain the moments when a word suddenly appears in your head, you just breathed in a new word left by the stork.
It would also explain how words appear in dreams.

Expanding a little on last nights far reaching conversation.

Roedd yn brynhawn hyfryd, yr haul yn tywynnu ond nid oedd y cwmwl bach yn hapus.
Pam oedd y cwmwl bach anhapus, mae’n achos ei fod wedi colli ei enfys.

Dechreuodd wylo am ei fod wedi colli ei enfys, daeth ei ddagrau glaw.

Mae’r glaw yn disgyn tuag at y tir ar tri mochyn bach a oedd yn gorwedd yn llonydd ar y traeth.
Dechreuodd un mochyn bach yn cwyno nad oedd yn hoffi’r glaw.

Mae mochyn bach arall yn hapus i chwerthin am y peth, a dweud peidiwch â phoeni, mae gen i sebon yn fy mag, gallwch fanteisio ar y cyfle i olchi y tu ôl i’ch clustiau.

Dywedodd y trydydd mochyn bach oh edrych enfys wedi ymddangos yn yr awyr.

Ie, pan mae’n bwrw glaw ar ddiwrnod heulog, mae’r haul yn tywynnu drwy’r glaw ac yn gwneud enfys.

Mae rwan, y cwmwl bach yn hapus unwaith eto, mae ddiwrnod arall’n dda.

It was a beautiful afternoon, the sun was shinning but the little cloud was not happy.

Why was the little cloud unhappy, because he had lost his rainbow.

He started crying because he had lost his rainbow, his tears became rain.

The rain fell towards the land onto three little pigs that were lying still on the beach.

One little pig started complaining that he did not like the rain.

Another little pig was happy to laugh about it, and said do not worry, i have soap in my bag, you can take the opportunity to wash behind your ears.

The third little pig said oh look a rainbow has appeared in the sky.

Yes, when it rains on a sunny day, the sunshines through the rain and makes a rainbow.

Now, the little cloud is happy again, another good day.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes