Getting hit in the head with the short form

Super! Thank you!

Keren,

Yes, let’s do that. I’m in the final days of tax hell for the self-employed. Once that’s over, I’ll be ready for brain exercises of another type. Thank you!

Elizabeth

Thank you! I am interested. I think that if I can make a lot of connections in the group and check in for occasional conversations, it would be very helpful. Everyone is going to bring a different kind of experience and voice, and learning to understand Welsh likely will be expedited by getting experience interacting with a broad range of people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How great is this forum?! Simple question ends up in a cross continental Skype ring! Like a Cosa Nostra with less controversy!

5 Likes

Hey, all,

Thanks again for all of your support and good suggestions. It has really helped.

Apologies for being out of contact for a few weeks. I was finishing up some projects that were draining my will to live. :slight_smile:

Anyway, wanted to see who might be available in the next week or so to have a chat either on Skype or Google+? And there have been so many awesome responses that I’m actually wondering about if it would be workable to create some kind of North American Google hangout?

Elizabeth

Go for it! It is certainly workable, there has been at least one group (albeit Skype, not Google) in operation in the past, organised expertly by Lynn Jencks - I don’t know if @lynnbejencks is active on the forum at the moment - are you, Lynn?

1 Like

Hi @elizabethrlarson and all the rest who’ve searched for some answers regarding shortening forms problems. I had (and still have for that matter) the same problems with short forms and I thought these links @AnnaC kindly gave to me could be of any use to you (and all the rest aswell).

It is exactly what I wanted - the verb from which short form derives and the short forms for each person and both, future and past tenses. There are not all verbs and not all forms but it might be very helpful at least for those main ones.

I’d very much like to have a whole list of verbs covered in the Course 3 and their shortenings in all tenses covered in that course written in one place so I could easily compare them. It would massively help me.

As I’ve said in my own topic, it’s hard to put all those “same things” like “esi”, “desi”, “gesi” and what’s more to them into order in my brains … If I can’t figure from which long form the shortening derive I can not understand and use it. With that I mean if I can’t figure out that “esi” derives from “Wnes i fynd” I am not able to use it as I actually don’t understand it. (A bit of a bad example as I know what “esi” means though but there are other more to cope with.) It’s all explained in the Course 3, that’s why I love it but for one as forgetfull as I am it doesn’t help much.

And yes … I was hit with the short forms today again for who knows which time already and that hit always puts me down no matter how determined I am and how “skilled” I feel to be, so, Elizabeth, you’re doing just great. I’m learning for about 4 years now and to be totally honest, I didn’t come too far from Course 2 (even if I want through all possible material (apart from the 1/4 of the Level 2 and Level 3 which is not ready for Southern version yet), what means, you can clearly celebrate your progress and acheavements!

Iechyd dda! :wine_glass:

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

P.s. @louis, @lynnbejencks (according to the forum data) was last seen in June last year, unfortunately but tagging her might drag her back for at least for a while. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tatjana, when I got to the end of Course 3 and just wanted to summarize all this for myself, I made a chart in Excel - I think it is basically what you are looking for. If you want me to send you a copy, I’d be happy to do that. It’s my own work, so I hope it’s all correct - it’s possible there may be a mistake or two!

1 Like

Thank you so much @AnnaC. I tried to do this by myself too, but mostly failed. I went according to the Lesson Guide though and there’s not quite everything you need to do such chart. To be honest, when I ran through the Course 3 one more time I forgot to write everything down and I’m a bit irritated to listen through everything just to find which shortening belongs to which long form. I’ll send you a PM with my eMail … We could be eFfrindiau after all! :slight_smile: (if you want and you’re up to something like that of course.

1 Like

The one that gets me is listening to the similar sounding -eith and -aeth, etc. I suppose its no worse than the English sink and sank really. Fortunately, I notice a lot of people pronouncing -aeth as the “ath”, which makes things easier.

2 Likes

Thank you, @tatjana! Those are great links! And thank you for the encouragement. I agree – it would be great to have all of them covered in the courses as you suggest.

Now, I’ve got to go study those great links!

Cruise the site when you’re on. There’s much more to explore and learn and (for all those who are looking a bit startlet onto the site comming there) it’s in Welsh but if you hoover upon menu you’ll get English translation automatically. Very cleverly made site I’d say. I didn’t encounter something like this very too often if ever at all.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!

Just wanted to get back to say that it would be great to Skype sometime. Other than weekend mornings or Monday nights, I can pretty well find fifteen minutes somewhere in my day to do this. Just send me a note, and we can set up a chat!

2 Likes

I will plan on touching base with you next week if that would work. A 15-minute session would probably be perfect for me to get started talking to someone. I just hope I can be understood! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great! I’m sure you will do just fine. That initial conversation yn Gymraeg is always the most nerve-wracking.

1 Like

Jason, how does this Friday evening or Saturday evening work for an intro convo?

Elizabeth, I sent you a PM with more details, but yes, Saturday would be great!

@elizabethrlarson Hiya, I’m Katie. I live in Northern California, as well. Beginner with Welsh, but happy to have short welsh chat anytime. =)

2 Likes

Hi Katie, I’m also tagging @delawarejones who will probably be interested in your reply.

3 Likes

Diolch, John Young. This forum is amazing! You are the second person who has reached out to @katie-13 and myself regarding the Thursday meet up I run. And despite the 3 hour time difference she joined last Thursday and it was great to have her there.

5 Likes