'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Oh YES! That’d be a wonderful feeling!

Unfortunately I live 1 mile from the Welsh border and so fill out the England form which obviously doesn’t ask :confused: (1 mile guys!! So close… :weary:)

7 Likes

Diolch.

1 Like

I want to be a welsh speaker because my mother and my children are able to speak this beautiful language and it’s about time I cracked it!

10 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because firdtly, I am Welsh and ptoud, secondly I was denied the chance of learning in school when I was younger. Last but not least my husband and all his family are Welsh speakers and I feel very left out and deprived !

9 Likes

Dw i’n moyn bod siaradwr Cymraeg acos dw i’n byw yng Gymru ac mae hi’n fy nghatre i.

8 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Diane… :slight_smile: :star2:

Apart from the ‘Be’ dach chi’n gwneud rwan?’ thread (Be' 'dach chi'n gwneud rwan? A phethau arall yn Gymraeg - A topic to practice Welsh, open to all!) we keep things in English on the forum so that all our learners, and potential learners, feel part of everything…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. It would have been easier in English but for some reason I thought it had to be in Welsh x

2 Likes

Ha ha we’ve all been there. I usually realise just in time, then delete it all and start again :angry:.

Also at our real life Welsh speaking meeting, I thought this seems really natural, and then realised that I was speaking English :grinning:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my cousin comes over from Minnesota once a year and can speak fluent Welsh (despite never having lived in the UK). I would love to surprise him by having a decent conversation with him yn y Gymraeg!

10 Likes

Ok so…I WANT TO BE A WELSH SPEAKER to keep up with my two children who are in Welsh medium education, increase my job prospects, and BECAUSE it’s my heritage, and I feel as though something has been missing all my life, not having had much opportunity or encouragement. I suppose the main reason is BECAUSE I ENJOY IT :purple_heart:
THANK YOU SSIW for the ongoing support

10 Likes

And my aim at the beginning was to have a conversation (sgwrs) with the pennaeth (head) at the school & not feel totally out of my depth…which I (kind of!) did this week & he told me my dysgu yn mynd yn dda iawn! :+1:

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my girlfriend started learning Spanish for me, depsite English being my first language, so I decided I wanted to learn a language too.

I picked Welsh as it was from a different language family than Spanish or English so seemed like a challenge.

I’m aiming to become fluent but don’t even know any Welsh speakers, although I do get sent to South Wales on occasion for work; just a handul of times a year to be fair.

7 Likes

Because I’ve lived in North Wales for the last 35 years, had many good friends and 2 relationships with first language Welsh speakers and never bothered to learn a word of it… (How much of a wasted golden opportunity was all that), and not seeing any of them anymore has shown me how much i miss it… and because i’ve seen people standing in the queue at Asda and have people have a go at them for speaking it in LLandudno !, how wrong is that !

and what do i wish will happen… That i will meet more and finaly be able to talk to them in their first language and not have them revert to English just for my benefit…

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I sent my daughters through Welsh medium education and yet never felt the confidence to learn myself. Here I am at 66 thinking it’s about time! And I’m loving every minute learning this wonderful language :blush:

11 Likes

I live in Wales and love the sound of the language when it’s spoken, as well as its history.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to expand my career and be able to chat away with my friends and colleagues in their own language. One thing I hope that I think will be awsome is being able to chat with the locals in my local garage as they’re always so friendly and are first language Welsh speaking.

8 Likes

Because I’ve lived here fro 25 years, my partner is a German born Welsh speaker, and I really want to.

7 Likes

Superb result - well DONE you! :star: :star2:

My reason…
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is being taken over by an evil oppressive tyrant. … very similar to the first Dark Lord, Morgoth, (may be his cousin?)
The hero(me, cos I’ve got hairy feet) is on a quest to enrol the help of the Ddraig Goch who resides somewhere around Carmarthen (I believe I’ve seen evidence of dragon pooh in farmers fields!)
I need to dysgu Cymraeg as this obviously is the language of Dragons!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Welsh legends and history have always fascinated me. Learning the language will help me to learn even more about them. I would like to travel in Wales and learning the language is respectful in that regard. Also, learning a new language helps keep your brain young. Figure if a baby can learn it, so can I… (ha ha - babies seem to have a secret weapon tho.)

One thing it would change in my life? I hope that learning to speak Welsh will help make travelling in Wales mwy diddoral (more interesting) and perhaps make research a bit easier, too. Other than that? Well, I might keep my journal yn y Gymraeg since I’m the only “speaker” in the house. :wink:

8 Likes