Junior Eurovision

I’ve just caught up with the finals of this years Junior Eurovision from Belarus. For Eurovision fans, such as myself it was a hugely significant moment for Wales to be represented in our own right and have a song sung in Cymraeg. Da iawn Manw. Unfortunatly the Eurovision voting being as utterly bonkers as the adult competition Wales got the infamous nul points (jury votes do not count in my book), rather unfairly I would suggest.

To spare any non Eurovision fans having to sit through the whole thing (I fortunatly only listened to it whilst at work) here are the relelvent 3 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepoR_Ze748

2 Likes

Poor Manw let down by Yws Gwynedd’s worst song since his Frizbee days.

3 Likes

Now there’s a phrase not many people are brave enough to utter in public… :wink:

6 Likes

Yet people merrily talk about watching Strictly or I am a celebrity get me out of here. It is just a crazy world

4 Likes

I could state, I am fan in the public, but I am not too big fan of it anymore especially as almost everyone is singing in English instead of in their own language, not to mention voting cookery in adults competition. Say from where you are and I’ll tell you for who you’d vote. This guilds already for at least 20 years.

I’ve watched the song and I really love it. It’s really a shame it didn’t get any points.

Tell me, did Slovenia qualify aswell. We’re bad in adults competitions but in youth we can be quite good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But it’s not really surprising that culturally-linked countries should like each others’ songs, is it?

1 Like

Well, it’s all based more around political situation. Just see: Cyprus would vote for Greece, Russia for Belarus, Ukraine, Kazahstan etc … Slovenia would give some points to Croatia but Croatia would not give any or little points to Slovenia, UK votes for Ireland and vise versa, Italy gives points to Croatia but hardly to Slovenia but we’re good souls and are giving points to all our neighbours no matter how they love or hate us etc, etc … This goes on already for about 30 years for sure and then you take a look who wins … It’s nothing based on musical or performance quality but political situation. The Ex Yu countries had success when they were in the deepest political crisis or even in war, Countries separated from SSSR did well or even win when they had political stresses etc, etc … Italy didn’t take part for a long time until recently strictly because of such things so did Switzerland, France and maybe someone else dropped out for a while. That’s why I gave the statement above.

Always been a big fan and didn’t know there was a children’s version until a few weeks ago. The song has grown on me as it’s been all over the radio (Cymru) and S4C in between adverts. I think Manw did fantastic although a little flat towards the end unless I misheard.I think it’s a difficult song to nail live and she had to dance as well plus just a bit of adrenaline to cop with. Fair play what a great performance and experience. Da iawn i hi. :clap:

Yes I never did understand this voting for your own country (even if the song is bobbins) nonsense. I think this contest was online voting, allowing people to vote for 3 to 5 entries including home country. It’s not exactly guilds, a lot of the vote is emigrates voting for their home country and in Europe most emigrants move to a neighbouring country.

To be honest most of the entries had serious tuning issues, it’s a very big stage, the monitoring is hard to get right and they are children, who are not yet professional singers and Manw was a lot better than most of the competition.

1 Like

Oops, I stand corrected, the nul point (dim pwyntiau/ no points) was the jury vote, they released the results the other way around to the adult competition. So it was 29 points for Cymru and I think 2nd from bottom.
Now, if we can get SSiW out to more people across Europe we’ll do even better next year!

4 Likes

I think I heard Australia gave 12 points to us but I may have dreamt it ha.
I only saw manw and the winner so just saying what I saw/heard. Yes massive step up from Swansea shopping centre and I’m sure a bright future ahead of her and I’m not surprised most acts had tuning difficulties. She (Manw) was great
And the middle 8 was tuff to nail even got a hardened pro.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that this is the received wisdom, but I think it’s overplayed. I think cultural factors have more importance than is usually thought.

Might be, but the political issues so much echo in the voting. We (meaning my family) (untill recently) followed voting much more closely than performances themselves and the voting ALWAYS was like the mirror of the political state in the Europe. We (almost) always could tell way in advance who’d win …

2 Likes

ooh I can feel a SSIW Eurovision party coming on. I’m proud to be a fan too

5 Likes

ooh theres a category on Eurovision on Celwyd Noeth tonight!

They never chose it. :roll_eyes::sob:

She sings in Swansea Shopping Centre?

When they was choosing someone to represent Wales one of the tasks was performing live at the quadrant centre.

2 Likes

I know I was hoping they would.

1 Like

And me! I’ve been to Eurovision parties in New Zealand and Australia but never in Wales!

2 Likes