Language Maintenance: Learning Second while Keeping First

There are two older threads about language maintenance, but since I got a warning when I started to post in them, I’m creating a new one. For reference, the older threads are as follows:
Language Maintenance
Keeping more than one language alive and well

I’ve been learning Welsh for a while and am at the point where I can understand it fairly well without reaching for a translation tool, but speaking it still can be a bit difficult for me. I’d like to start learning Spanish…especially since a lot of people I interact with speak it. I’m on lesson 21 in the Spanish course, and I’m wondering how people keep learning and improving their iaith ail cyntaf while taking on a new language.

I’m especially interested in methods for people who don’t have a lot of time during the day, like me. I work in IT so listening to anything in another language during work is a no-go. Pretty much the only time I’ve got is when I’m walking or driving to/from work, the days I’m on dog walking duty and time here and there on the weekend.

2 Likes

I’d love some tips on this too please. (am trying to resurrect some French). One suggestion that I had heard was to learn the new language via the most recently acquired language hence an earlier suggestion of an SSiW French using Welsh but we have to wait a bit for that I think. SSiBorg needs to be ready first.

1 Like

?is it SSi Borg or Berg?

Oh, sorry, that’s probably the forum software being a little over-enthusiastic… :slight_smile:

I would recommend the listening exercises for this - but we haven’t published them for Level 2 Welsh yet - when they’re ready, they’ll be a very handy ‘quick run through almost everything in just 5 minutes’ kind of deal.

In the meantime, I’d personally think in terms of running through the last lesson of Level 2 once every month or two…:slight_smile:

SSiBorg as in “Say Something in …” mixed with “cyborg”.

1 Like