London

I’ve been going to the Cylch Siarad at London Welsh Centre for a few weeks now. There are a few SSiWers along with students from the Centre and a group of regulars. If you’re looking for speaking practice in London this is the best. You’ll meet a lovely group people, very welcoming and relaxed - no pressure. Welsh speaking practice - Y Cylch Siarad, public bar upstairs at London Welsh Centre, Gray’s Inn Road every Thursday 19:30 - 22:00

5 Likes

I agree with Nigel, there will be a Welsh language welcome. For the shy, when you enter the centre, there is a large lounge but in the far corner on the left there is a staircase that goes up to the bar. The Cylch normally sit in the far corner but I suggest you ask at the bar, in Welsh if you can, and they will point you to the group. If you go early it is likely on the Cylch will be there but after 8.30pm the numbers grow a bit as the language courses go to the bar and, after 9.30pm the choirs come up (more English heard at that point). It was great to have met Nigel last time and, as he says, newbies welcome.

3 Likes

Yes, I also recommend it! It seems like there are a few SSIWers there every week, maybe @Deborah-SSi you could add it to the weekly newsletter as a regular meetup?

2 Likes

I was (very briefly) in London about a month after starting SSiW. I googled Welsh and London, and the Centre appeared in my research. My b&b was just about an half-hour walk away and I got really close to getting out and go there for a beer (in Welsh, of course).
But last minute, I got lazy or…chickened out. :flushed:

Actually, I hadn’t really understood what kind of place it was, from the website (has it changed lately or was it my phone making it look so different?). If I had read these posts, I would have certainly tried. :slight_smile:
Well…next time!

2 Likes

I’m happy to add it to the list of meetups. The only thing I need is for someone who goes regularly to volunteer to be the SSiW contact person, so that newcomers know who to get in touch with if they have any questions.

1 Like

This reminds me that I need to come down to this as it’s not too far from my office. I wish I knew about this when I was living relatively close by!

1 Like

I’m happy to be the contact person - I can certainly answer questions and put people in touch with others if I’m not going to be there.

3 Likes

Brilliant @KateM - diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

All the above plus Brains SA !
Er, no brainer ?

4 Likes

The London Welsh Centre have a one-day course coming up soon on 24th November. Has anyone been on one of these before?

http://www.londonwelsh.org/learn-welsh/cwrs-undydd-one-day-course/

I did the one day course last November. I think the tutors change and swap levels each time, so I think what you get probably depends who’s doing it! I found the levels (only 3 on offer) were not quite right for me at the time - I tried Uwch but everyone there seemed to be completely fluent, quite a few were first language speakers who had been through a period of not speaking at all but were now well back into the flow. And I lost confidence. So I switched to canolradd in the coffee break and found there was too much English and not enough speaking practice for my liking, (in the breaks too). But it was enough to persuade me back for weekly lessons which has been a really good thing.

2 Likes