My challenges

Thank you @margaretnock. I’m following your blog reading quite some things (not read all yet I have to admit) and you’re doing very well! There are maybe things I don’t quite understand (yet) but I rather pick all from the context then taking dictionary in my hand and read word by word.

When I’m writing my (so called) poems, I start yn Gymraeg from scratch thinking what I want to write and then go for words I know. I don’t translate neither from Slovene nor from English. I think (at least I’m trying) Welsh and do the thing.

Obviously we both are doing just great for now. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t on the FB or blog today much so I only hope your journey goes well so far.

Pob lwc a hwyl!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is nothing to do with your challenges, but I didn’t want to start a new thread for a one-off event! Currently the BBC are sponsoring schools to report on local news. These are from all over UK although not near where I live! However, there is an International category, only about four on it. One is The International School Ljubljana! They ought to be on iPlayer! There may be mention on you media too! So far, I get an empty page and promise of content later! This BBC School Report is a regular event!

O, thanks. Do you have any link to that page? I’ll check regularly if there’s one or should I just type Schools report and then International?

I hope that will work! Else, just look for BBC School Report Ljubljana

Aha, Now I know where this is aiming. They just want to have reports from British schools abroad and (as far as I could read and know) this one in Ljubljana behaves prety “isolated” from ordinary slovenian activities. I believe this school attend only kids of (mostly) diplomats and higher society and they might also have totally different teaching/learning plan from national education plan we have. Most ordinary people living in Slovenia comming from abroad put their kids into schools in the area they’re living in, what means Slovenian schools. However a lot of our kids in primary school speak English almost better then their own mom iaith …

Actually I was hoping I’d hear there’s kind of Welsh “class” in this school, but if I refer to British Council where I once asked about some Welsh language resources in Sloenia or if they can provide me some, they don’t have much connection with anything but English unfortunately. Even Irish is neglected I have a feeling.

But … I can very well (and that’s 90 % sure I am) be wrong. Let’s wait and see what this site provides in the future.

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

It appears sick-leave has some good side effects for learning Welsh though so I was listening to some Radio Cymru again and yes, I wouldn’t be me if I wouldn’t tweet but this time I was not even aware something would happen as I wasn’t sure if I’m listening to live program on TuneIn app at all but it happened.

Challenge Number 21 - Amarfer in the wild

Aled Hugher was the one who “picked” the post to Radio Cymru this time as it was his show and mentioned me several times in the show. Not to repeat myself, it’s all here:

And this resulted into another little twitter thingy. Hearing on the Radio Cymru (In the Aled Hughes show again) about app Sain Fagans developed and gave on the market I just had to ask some things (it is in my nature to put questions obviously) and so the little twit-chat began. I was answered by Aled Hughes and Sara Huws from Sain Fagans. We tweeted about the app and little about the “interactive” facility they started to build last year which was delightful and chalenging both at the time as there were some words I didn’t know. Thakfully it was written chat what means I could look up words and check my spelling before replying.

So, tweeting again today made me realize I’m tweeting in Welsh these days a lot and it makes me feel like I actually am some kind of improving after all.

Next challenge … who knows what it would be … :slight_smile:

Oh, and by the way: You can read all about the “Traces Olion” app here

1 Like

Do you remember me writing this in the last post of this topic approximately 4 and a half months ago? Many things have happened until now but there was actually no particular challenge until now. Writing on twitter, Facebook or Clecs seams more or less normal to me now, talking (as much as I can in given circumstances) too so they’re not particular challenges now anymore.

However, you might remember I once said this:

A challenge … next time I’ll be in Postojna cave’s Concert hall, with someone from Cymru or alone, Ill sing the antheme properly and I’ll make someone record it for you all! It has to be heard there echoing across the largest and most acustic hall of the cave system. smile Agree?

in the A visit from Cymru topic. So, here it is

Challenge Number 22 - Singing in the Concert Hall of Postojna Cave

We visited Postojna cave yesterday and of course I had to fulfill my promise given to you in April last year. I promissed to sing Welsh Anthem, I know but instead of singing it I rather decided to sing Calon Lân. I knew the words of the first verse and the refrain once already but I somehow forgot some words to sing them properly so I had to re-gain my knowledge. I did some practice in half an hour before we departed for the cave however the circumstances were not going in our aid so not properly working camera, a bit darker hall as it was last time when we visitd Cave with @margaretnock and lack of practice made me a bit of nervous so what you’ll actually hear is havy dripping of the water from the cave’s ceiling and me singing just a refrain. However to hear what acustic this cave named Concert Hall of the Postojna cave system has, it will be just enough.

The singing was more or less public as I’ve stood in the middle of the cave singing so everyone who passed me could hear me. I’m just sorry there was too dark so you can’t see anything but just hear me. Who was the real witness of my singing I won’t tell yet. I can only say it was one of SSiW members… You will get the insights in next days from this member for sure but I’m leaving you in wonderings who this might be … :slight_smile:

So, here it is, ladies and gentlemen - my humble atempt of singing in the Postojna Cave System’s Concert Hall. (I know I did at least two mistakes though but due to me being a bit nervous I hope you can excuse me for that.)

Enjoy!

And yes … As challenge was not fulfilled entirely I give myself another one which is to sing and record Calon lân in whole … not in Postojna cave this time though. Fair enough? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Chware teg, @tatjana :clap:
Today the Postojna cave - tomorrow Neuadd Dewi Sant. :smile:

2 Likes

You have more guts than I do. Mind,I can’t sing. I would recite Calon Lan instead! Da iawn ti!

1 Like

O Da Iawn @tatjana! We need to get a proper choir together. So, who are you with? I can’t wait to hear!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn Huw.

Oh, well, a lot of practice needed yet. I knew all the words before departure then I forgot quite some.

Thank you. It is more determination to fulfill the promise than guts with me though.

Diolch yn fawr iawn Margaret.

You can imagine how ti would sound in such acustic hall, don’t you? It would be great!

Well, as I said, you’ll hear in the next days. What I can say is that my guest already safely returned home and that we had a wonderful and interesting time together siarad Cymraeg and quite some Saesneg of course when my husband was with us.

1 Like

Tatjana…you’re the best! Your Gymraeg is fabulous and your voice lovely and clear! Honestly, I do admire you! :clap: A :rose: for the artist! :musical_score:

3 Likes

Wowowo! Hold your horses a bit @Claudia_Beryan!

Well, thank you for the compliments of course, but when I’ve listened to myself at home I’ve heard I’ve done at least two mistakes so actually the recording from aproximately a month ago is (speaking from the language aspect) better (recording below), but yah, I can’t say I have bad voice and the acustic of the cave adds to the singing a lot.

A bit of explanation: at the end a bit of laughter is heard but actually I didn’t laugh but almost started to cry (those who know me will know what I mean and why). :slight_smile: It is always somehow touching moment for me when I have to sing at some (for me) special occassion or when this brings memories back no matter good or bad ones. So … laughter covered my crying actually. :slight_smile:

EDIT to add that this can cause a bit of confusion. This recording here is from a month ago and the “original” one in the cave is in the post a bit upper.

2 Likes

Brilliant! You sing very well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I tried to sing as loud as possible so that the singing would really be as it should. Usually I more or less murmur to myself than sing so my husband allerted me that I have to sing loud and clear before I started. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You accept the compliments of the gentlemen gracefully, but I should hold my horses? :wink: Even though I don’t know you well, I know that laughing and crying are closely related; and that there are situations which make it very difficult for us to ‘chose’ between the two…so, they simply mix.

I couldn’t hear any mistakes - partly because I couldn’t care less about mistakes and partly because my Gymraeg still is so poor that I could only recognise the word ‘nos’. :joy:

1 Like

Oh, well, I didn’t mean it to be that hard. :slight_smile: [quote=“Claudia_Beryan, post:92, topic:2384”]
I couldn’t hear any mistakes - partly because I couldn’t care less about mistakes and partly because my Gymraeg still is so poor that I could only recognise the word ‘nos’. :joy:
[/quote]

You know much more than you are keen to admit. And it is all the thing of listening and learning how to say words. The mistakes are at the beginning. I should sing “Tecach yw na’r lili dlos” but instead I’ve left that “w” out. Then I should sing “Dim ond calon lan all ganu” but instead I’ve transformed that “all” into “ach” and just half mutated the “c” in the word “canu” what is absolutely not right. So now you know and will eventually not do the same mistakes when trying to sing this song. :slight_smile:

Yes, they often do. I actually didn’t quite know if we have enough time until “train” departure from the cave so I was in a bit of hurry too.

2 Likes

Ah, no, I was just lovingly teasing you! But, you know, I may sometimes sound a little ‘over the top’ or pazza, eh…that’s my Southern European blood :ok_hand:t5: (Imagine this typical Italian hand movement ‘Mafioso-style’). Tonight, we Mafiosi take over the hospital…dottor Matteo, Giacomo from the kitchen, nurse Maria and cleaning lady Claudia…mamma mia! :mask::scream:

I wish you were right and I’d really know more than I think. But ask Milla; she was so kind to chat with me about 3 weeks ago. I could only say very little in Gymraeg, I couldn’t remember much. Honestly, I don’t try to talk myself down, I’m telling you how it is. I do have a problem with learning and there is no point in denying that. :pensive:

1 Like

Hmmmm … this smells like things need to be tested a bit … When I sort myself a bit into ordinary ways of living again, we might have a nice little Skype chat at one point … :slight_smile:

I know, I know … don’t worry. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Da iawn, @Tatjana! You have a lovely voice!

2 Likes