Now LIVE: 'Some Sex and a Hill - or How To Learn Welsh in 3 Easy Pints' by Aran Jones

I didn’t know about that limitation. (Wonder if it’s the same on all Amazon sites).
They should have done the check at the point where you clicked to start writing the review.
How annoying of them. :frowning:

1 Like

Oh margaret, you most certainly aren’t hostile to anyone. A great support to me and many others.

If i do myself down it’s for reasons far too ingrained in my psyche to make admitting i can speak welsh easy!

When i take time to think about my journey i know i’ve already come a long way.

Meetups with others convinced i’d be out of my depth to find i was as good as anyone else.

Organising a meetup with strangers when i find it difficult to even talk to strangers.

Getting all manner of criticisms from work colleagues for wanting to speak a dead language only to greet them in it every day.

I generally do at least an hour every day. Sometimes two or three.

I was helping someone who is on lesson 1 of new level 1. I recall the panic, the lack of time to remember things. I compared it to my experiences this last week in hotels, shops and cafes. From the initial “dwi isio siarad cymraeg” of challenge 1 to…“wyt ti’n hyfforddi fel ffisiotherapydd yn y prifysgol?” in the hotel bar on Sunday…even i can see a little improvement.

3 Likes

Well you have to keep your hand in so to speak :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm, I read the .co.uk guidelines and I think I might be allowed to post a comment there…

1 Like

All true…quite a five months…

I enjoy it so much.

Read some of my Progress reports and then switch to My Challenges and you’ll see that not just we’ll both be hanner cant in some months but we’re much alike in just not to be able to admit we are (more or less) Welsh speakers. The only difference is I really nagged this forum and people on it with all sorts of excuses of how I can’t do this and that and how I’m useless in general and that it took me far more time then you (3+ years (now more actually as time flies by)) to finally admit I can (sort of) speak Welsh.

(Mae’n drwg da fi ond completely offtopic) Sometimes I feel like wild stubborn animal which at one point of the time finally admits human prevailed and concoured it making it a pet … just that this way of concouring at the particular matter (learning Welsh and behafio yn well) is really delightful feeling. If @MarilynHames’ hourses in the topic What am I hearing-or missing are racers, competing among themselves then I was one wild lonely horse which needed to be tamed and I know this wasn’t always pleasant for those of you who were trying so hard to acheave that goal. :slight_smile:

Now I am (despite clumsy and lousy :smile:) siaradwr Cymreig with yet fresh and bigger goals and dreams.

2 Likes

Nevermind :weary:

Well, I just wanted to say it was great, and that I was reading some (many) parts out loud to whomever happened to be in the same space as me. Almost wanted to read them to people on the tram, but then I remembered that I am in Finland where it is only acceptable to talk in public if you are drunk or a tourist. :smiley:

I really like the way you write and can’t wait for the next book :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Aha, bingo! That’s the response I was aiming for there… :star: :star2: :calon:

Sorry, @novem, I didn’t know about that - but thank you very much indeed for your feedback in here… :star2: :fire:

We got to #221 in the whole Kindle store for today! And #1 for Languages! No idea how that happened, but it’s rather lovely. Diolch bawb… :calon:

2 Likes

Ah but you are most certainly a welsh speaker.

There are many of here who inspire me to learn. I of course disagree with them about my welsh (the habits of a lifetime aren’t easy to forget).

I have decided my latest way of tormenting people is poetry. Fear not, eisteddfod humiliation is not on my list of things to do.

But be warned…i may even burst into song on another youtube video :wink:

Sounds good. Very interested but i’ll have to wait for the paperback version. Don’t do kindle I’m afraid.

1 Like

You can do kindle on any device. The question is only if you leave in a country/region which allows you to buy kindle books or not.

Ooo, ja, i know how it goes, believe me. :slight_smile:

Why I am picturing you standing proudly infront of the crowd reciting your (latest) great poem??? :slight_smile: No, really, I can imagine that!

Warning accepted. I hardly wait!

1 Like

Oh god what have i let myself in for!

1 Like

I love this one.

HA HA HA … :slight_smile:

Which is, of course, at the Eisteddfod a perfectly plausible, indeed, probable encounter! :wink:

3 Likes

Could be worse, Bach! A lot of us speak Cymraeg to our dogs!!
To @pete About not admitting you are a speaker… not only do you have @tatjana as a model for one who took forever to admit she could actually emit geiriau Cymraeg from her mouth, but now @aran has written a whole book, during most of which he was stubbornly refusing not to be a learner! Don’t tell me you are all trying to put off getting tattoos!! :wink:

2 Likes

Dont forget the t shirt

@tatjana and anyone else who wants to make donations to, for example, Medicins sans frontiers when buying stuff - Amazon smile seems to be US only and so are its charities.
I found a site called easygiving which lets you give to the charity of your choice when you buy and lets you add other online ‘shops’ not just Amazon. I can’t recommend it yet, because I only just found it, but it seems a good idea!
Anyone else tried it?

Hmmm … interesting because I live in Slovenia, as you know, and I can buy from it and if I mistakenly wonder off to amazon.com, they even allert me I’m not on the smile site and every time I come back they greet me with “Thank you you’re making difference.” I’m buying from that site already for several years (what I’m buying on Amazon at all as postage is a nightmare). The amazon.uk is one which restricts us in Slovenia over and over again with the message that they sell only to European countries (HAHAHA) and I can’t buy on UK amazon million things I’d want to. Well, there’s always (except for kindle thingys) always eBay which is my friend most of the time now.

For the knowledge to all Amazon users: You have access to all Amazon sites, no matter where they are with one and only acount you have at amazon. The region in which you live is the key to what and if you can buy things there or not. Once I wandered to Amazon.de and tried to buy something and I literally could but … arghhhh … POSTAGE AGAIN!

What concerns Doctors without borders and donations in general: I’m donating occassionally (or regularly) to so many sites I sometimes forget where I am all member at but most of all I delightfully am participating in one-time (or traditional) events like it was @margaretnock’s swimming for Sport Relief, “Summer Games done quick” or “Awesome games done quick”, @Iestyn’s running for Ganolfan Dwr Llandysul, “Humble Bundle Mojam” and similar.

Back on topic:

Yah … there are some common things … but I didn’t reach the end of the book yet …

Amazon Japan needs you to sign on separately, to make a separate account. Now how do I know that?

Well, obviously Asia doesn’t belong to that “one acount” package. It’s true that on Japan and China you can’t log in (I’ve tried this right now) but I could login to Australia for example. Maybe script has something to do with it also because even if it says “Amazon Japan in English” there’s really little English and even less latin script on the site. I could go on Amazon India also …

Let’s say in the package more or less are included Amazons Worldwide with some exceptions.

Let’s see something else:

Well, look at this!
Amazon India

Amazon Japan

Oh, but you can’t find any of @aran’s books on Amazon China though.

So, Aran … you’r book goes really Internationally Wide. Da iawn!

2 Likes