Oxford Welsh learners group

A quick last minute reminder about today’s meetup plus Friday’s Jesus College Dydd Gŵyl Dewi/St David’s Day event image

1 Like

OK, great! We’ll look forward to meeting you then. Many thanks, Jane

Helo pawb - hope everyone had the opportunity to celebrate Dydd Gŵyl Dewi one way or another yesterday. The Jesus College event was gwych - interesting discussion, followed by tea and Welsh cakes and, in the chapel, plenty of sgwrs Cymraeg in the pews which this year, unlike last year when it snowed, were packed.
Next week it’ll be the usual pattern of meetups (but don’t forget the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir St David’s Day concert next Saturday evening - see above for details):

• Monday, 4 March from 11am in Café Bap , Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 6 March 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (but check with @s-coates1)
  • Thursday, 7 March in The Royal Blenheim , St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon
1 Like

Hello, I’m new here and trying to figure this forum out! I’m also a brand new Welsh learner. I’m in North Oxon rather than the city, and have youngish children so may not make many/any meets but I wanted to stick my head in here - so exciting to think that there are other learners/speakers reasonably local! I don’t think I’ve met anyone yet who even understands why an English person would want to learn Welsh, never mind anyone to talk to!

Meg

5 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Meg! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Helo Meg and welcome to the forum!

In fact, three others in our Oxford group - @cat-1 @RichardBuck & @rebecca - also have youngish children, so you’re in good company :slightly_smiling_face:
How far north in Oxon are you? We try to be as flexible with meetup arrangements so that as many as possible can make it, but as well as meetups in the city, we do have walks from time to time at weekends as an extra opportunity to practise Welsh (https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/225) - if that appeals, perhaps we could think about a route somewhere nearer to you on the north of Oxford. Anyway, hope you’ll be able to join us one way or the other before too long!
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Welcome Meg!
I’m North of Ox too (and have small, hectic people!) and sometimes find it hard to make it into the big smoke for a meet up (although it is SO rewarding when I do). There are a couple of other learners in my village with kids, so we can easily arrange a friendly meet up if you’d like!

1 Like

Welcome @mouselovinlady. Also welcome @jane-18 and Richard. Three more people in the Oxford area. That’s great! I am in the south of Oxfordshire, but get in to Oxford when I can. I hope to meet you all some time.
Sue

1 Like

Helo @jane-18 & Richard - just to say I think I told you that the Wednesday meetups start at 8pm - that should have been 8.30pm of course! It was seeing the latest SSiW newsletter which jogged my memory on this - if you haven’t signed up for this already, it’s well worth doing as it highlights a lot of interesting stuff as well as listing all the current meetup venues. You can find the link you need here: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/weekly-newsletter-is-late-this-week/7835
I’m tagging @mouselovinlady as well, as you might like to subscribe too, Meg, if you haven’t already :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl, John

1 Like

A last minute reminder about tomorrow’s meetup …

… and of course don’t forget on Sat 9 March the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir St David’s Day concert:

1 Like

PS Note important inclusion of wine & Welsh cakes with the ticket for Saturdays’s concert! ::slightly_smiling_face::wine_glass::cookie: (why no emoji for Welsh cakes?! :frowning: ) - plus, of course, accompanied kids free

Just to repeat from the ‘Oxford walks’ thread …

Would it perhaps be better to merge the ‘Oxford walks’ thread back into this one? Let me know what you think
Hwyl, John__

That seems a good idea to me. I don’t think that there would be any confusion.
Sue

1 Like

Just posted this message on the ‘Oxford walks’ thread re the walk tomorrow:

… and don’t forget to let me know about this (a diolch @Betterlatethan!)

PS Forgot to add that if you’d like to join us and have transport but 12:30pm is a bit too early, there’ll be the possibility to join us a bit later as we pass through Wytham Village, or even up the hill from the village in the Wytham Wood car park - do let me know though if you’re planning to do this, so we can keep an eye out for you

This week’s meetup schedule is as usual:

• Monday, 11 March from 11am in Café Bap , Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 13 March 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (but there may be a change afoot so do check with @s-coates1)
  • Thursday, 14 March in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Hwyl, John

Sorry, I don’t think that I can make it in the week coming, and the following week is also looking doubtful.
Sue

1 Like

Ok - diolch Sue

Helo @jane-18 & Richard a diolch am y sgwrs heddiw
Just to say I’ve done a bit more digging about the word hwntw and one explanation seems to be that as people in De Cymru tended to use the word hwnt (beyond, away etc) instead of draw, from the 18C/19C someone from the south then came to be described as a_hwntw_

1 Like

A quick reminder about today and tomorrow’s meetups (plus a headsup: next week I can’t make any meetups, so do let people know if you’re going and do a forum check to ensure it won’t be just you! :slightly_smiling_face:)

Hwyl, John

1 Like