Oxford Welsh learners group

My daughter arrives in Oxford by train on Thursday. Depending on the time of the train, I might make it to MAO for a while before meeting her train. Hoping to see you all.
Sue

2 Likes

Sorry to miss you all this week, but made a fun discovery at work today: one of the admin staff in my dept has learnt a bit of Welsh in the past! Cue a spur of sgwrsing when I was doing some paperwork today :blush: Only another bloomin’ Gog though rolls eyes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Ahem. Finest kind.

1 Like

Brilliant!

Especially brilliant! :slight_smile:

A customer came into the village shop the other day and said “good morning” in three or four languages, just for fun. Hearing “Bore da”, I pounced. It seems that he went to university in Wales and learned a bit while he was there. Unfortunately other customers were waiting and we couldn’t attempt a conversation. There must be loads of people who know a little bit of Welsh - they just don’t advertise the fact.
Sue

3 Likes

Not sure if these are still available, but it would be nice if there was a big push to make sure they are and to encourage people to wear them, even in Lloegr

https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/welsh-learner-badge-bathodyn-dysgwr-cymraeg/1361/5

1 Like

A quick last minute reminder about the MAO cafe meetup this lunchtime (Thurs 25th)

For the 11:00am meetup on Monday’s (29th Jan) let’s meet in the Tafarn y Dywarchen, Stryd Fadd / Turf Tavern, Bath St, off Holywell St. As it’s well hidden from view (unless you happen to be standing on the city walls :slight_smile:), for anyone who might not know it, here’s a map of how to get there:

This time I did phone to check that it will actually be open at 11:00am!:slight_smile:

The Thursday (1st Feb) meetup will be as usual from12:00 in the MAO cafe, Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hope to see you there.
Hwyl, John

Forgot to tag @cat-1 @mikeellwood @rebecca @Betterlatethan @RichardBuck - but hopefully you’re keeping an eye on this thread anyway :slight_smile:

Sorry, I have to be elsewhere the next two Thursdays. I hope to make it on Thursday 15th. Monday 12 Feb just might be possible. I’ll keep an eye on the forum for the venue.
Sue

I’m working tomorrow :angry: Silly work!
Hoping to be back to publand on Monday though! :smile:

Lois has just published this term’s Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym term card on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204370244533553&set=gm.1847953248550618&type=3&ifg=1 Apart from the rugby :slight_smile:, there’s what could be an interesting seminar on Wales’ special links with Lesotho on 13th Feb and St David’s Day events on 1st & 3rd March - any of us should be able to attend if interested.

Hwyl, John
PS And why not? :slight_smile: … another quick plug for today’s lunchtime meetup!

2 Likes

For the 11:00am meetup next Monday, 5th Feb, we’ll be again in the
Tafarn y Dywarchen, Plas Fadd / Turf Tavern, Bath Place, off Holywell St (see above for directions, if needed) - if tall, watch your head on entering (last week I didn’t :grimacing: )! Hope to see you there.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

One last quick reminder about the meetup tomorrow (Mon 5th) …
Hwyl, John

In reply to message from @cat-1,
I can’t come on Thurs 8th, but probably can on Thurs 15th at MAO.
I might be able to come on Mon 12 if it happens. Which pub would it be? 11:00?
Sue

1 Like

I can come tomorrow, and as things stand could come on Monday and (somewhat late) on Thursday next week. (Probably ‘or’ rather than ‘and’, though.)

1 Like

Hi @RichardBuck. I’ve emailed the nons to see who might come tomorrow and will let you know.
@Betterlatethan and @RichardBuck - I’ve said to the others the Turf Tavern again for Mon (11am) - it was really nice and there are only a few of us available at the moment so thought it might be easier, but if anyone wants to meet somewhere else, just say and I’ll let the others know.
Unfortunately I’m off games tomorrow and next week because of half term, but back on Mon 19th if anyone wants to join me? :relaxed:

@RichardBuck - Clive can’t be there tomorrow so it looks like it’s a no go :disappointed: unless I get a flurry of emails in the night…

OK – thanks for co-ordinating. I’ll look to check tomorrow, but failing any such flurry I may just stay home with my Lleucu Roberts :slight_smile:

1 Like