Published: new advanced content

I am happy with that. If there’s Welsh and English close together I cannot stop myself simply reading the English

5 Likes

Yup, that’s exactly the problem - it removes the desirable difficulty of working through the Welsh first, and that feels less convenient, but will help you more… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all - thought you might be interested in a bit of Canu Plygain - an ancient form of Welsh carol singing. This version has a bit of a modern flavour to it, but it’s still beautiful - and if you search Canu Plygain on YouTube you’ll find more traditional versions.

6 Likes

Aran has answered this, but it’s also trickier to do with two people talking. The first one was just me!

3 Likes

Hi all - another Sgwrs coming your way tomorrow - with the artist Luned Rhys Parri who makes amazing and characterful 3D creations. This is a piece by her that I have on my wall. There’s much of interest here - especially for those interested in Patagonia - the Welsh speaking community in South America.

6 Likes

@beca-brown, for the young sprout section, I’d be really curious to hear these lads:

now that they’re fresh, and still not skyrocketed into a way bigger music Universe and/or rejected back into obscurity. :roll_eyes:

The web really changed the games in so many fields - and if I think that since I first heard their name (but couldn’t spell it right) it took me years to actually find a Datblygu record…I’d say the Internet can make a difference also for languages like Welsh and its music!

3 Likes

And that’s up - sorry, little later than usual, because we’ve only just got back from the kids’ celebratory post-karate-grading pizza evening… :slight_smile:

4 Likes
7 Likes

I suddenly noticed listening to last week content, and this week again, that they all seem to pronounce es i as eshi don’t they? While I had previously heard as es in esponio. Is it a South - north thing?

Funny thing of the day I kept on hearing pizza, then found out it was Peter! I guess I’m starting to be hungry! :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s the lovely N Wales accent, quite softened. Possibly exaggerated by your loudspeaker.

2 Likes

Thanks, Beca for another great item and a fascinating insight. A must for anyone interested in Welsh art and also Patagonia.

Here’s a shortcut to the gallery website section that was mentioned:

Edited - Sorry. it should have been this link: I hope ok to put up here.

2 Likes

Thanks got the link. Wow!
Another great interview @beca-brown. Diolch.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it. I think Luned’s work is amazing - she captures so much about character, culture, time and place; and with so much humour and warmth.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it. Yes the Patagonia stuff was fascinating wasn’t it - I didn’t know half the things that came up. Incredibly informative.

1 Like

Yes, well spotted, we tend to say ‘eshi’ in the north - not sure why!

1 Like

Recovering former Archer’s addict here. However, I still get the occasional fix on the car radio. But I can quit any time I like. No, really.

Kefir is sold here (I’m in England), but you seem to have to look for it, even in Waitrose.

:lying_face::joy:

1 Like

Oh, i love her work. (All new to me.) Hopefully i might get to see some, not just ar lein, when I’m in Caernarfon next year.
Great scwrs too. What an amazing range of topics you are covering, Beca! It does mean there is new vocabulary each time that utterly floors me, but hopefully bit by bit some of it is sticking. I think I’m finding that reading the transcripts is gradually getting easier, so my visual recognition is improving probar faster than my aural recognition.
Thanks again. I look forward every Friday now to seeing what the next treat is you have in store for us.

2 Likes

Just to say that I was listening to Radio Cymru this morning. A lady from Cricieth? Was being interviewed about Christmas card sales. Wow. It sounded just like a Beca style interview and I understood every word. Not just the pattern. It was as if it was in English. To be fair, if it had been in English, I might have struggled slightly with accents.

There is no way that I would have been able to do that a few weeks ago. Fair play to you, Beca and All.

4 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: